Group hug for those that care

All posts from the inception of the board until Dec. 31, 2005

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Paul B

Group hug for those that care

Post by Paul B » September 21st, 2005, 6:16 pm

Wow...

Seems like there's a need for a lot of these special sessions lately... Seems to go in cycles. Well... the need continues today, for sure as another hurricane is plotting a course to a major population center.

With the destruction in New Orleans.. everybody's friend, Eve, changed her plans to rendevouz there... rerouting to Houston. Sadly... THAT area appears to be the next ground Zero when Hurricane Rita comes ashore. Sad She was planning to meet Don P.. but his note on the new site today says he is evacuating Lake Jackson in the morning. We have been less than pals for a while... but I still want you to join me in a Zap•Group•Hug tonight at 10PM EST for him and others in the projected disaster area.

In addition... please focus your positive mental energy generation, mass meditations, and prayers on MANY ZapFolks in that area. According to our membership list, that includes: Bill F... JR... Quentin... Buzz5563... Brett King... Val King... Larry Prosser... Azfest... Buddy... Lisa Elders... Jesse Hill... AltoninV... TexasGirl727... Withem59... JSpringerTx... and likely several others I missed or those who have not listed their home towns. If you have friends or relatives in the zone... please add their names to the ZapperBBS thread.

I hope one of you registered at icdsupportgroup.org will post information about this event over there too. (My doing it might upset someone.) We need to rally as many people as possible for this Zap•Group•Hug... again, at 10PM EST tonight!

Love and thanks always...
Duffey

~guin

Post by ~guin » September 21st, 2005, 7:12 pm

5PM Update from Hurricane Center wrote:

Rita upgraded to Category 5: 5th most powerful in history!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you don and all.
~guin

Shelby
Board Creator

Post by Shelby » September 21st, 2005, 11:11 pm

Of course we care. Compassion and prayer don't know the difference from one board or another. I missed the official group hug but my prayers are with all of the Zappers potentially affected by this hurricane as well as all of the other people in Rita's path.

Shelby
Afraid to post here? Remember:
"Some people think only intellect counts...but the functions of intellect are insufficient without courage, love, friendship, compassion and empathy." ~Dean Koontz

jana

Post by jana » September 22nd, 2005, 1:55 am

Yes, we do care!!! (Many of us still read the "other" board, even though we no longer post.) Just personal reasons....

It seems that Texas is taking things much more seriously than New Orleans did -- leaders seem to be more on the ball in getting people out, sending around busses, etc. I hope it's not as bad.

Jana

ruthy

GROUP HUG

Post by ruthy » September 22nd, 2005, 6:32 am

That is awful that this is happening again, but like Jana said , they are getting out of there , thank God , well all we can do is pray for the best .
DCM, V.T , DIABETES, SLEEP APNEA, DCM GENETIC

Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live.

rumpleteasermom

Post by rumpleteasermom » September 22nd, 2005, 9:05 am

jana wrote:Yes, we do care!!! (Many of us still read the "other" board, even though we no longer post.) Just personal reasons....

It seems that Texas is taking things much more seriously than New Orleans did -- leaders seem to be more on the ball in getting people out, sending around busses, etc. I hope it's not as bad.

Jana
Sorry to get political but . . .

You really can't say that the leadership in Texas is the reason. FEMA itself is taking the role it should have for Katrina but didn't - getting in there early and helping with busses and such. And then there is the fact that Rita is moving a lot slower than Katrina - gives them more time to get people out.

jana

Post by jana » September 22nd, 2005, 11:29 pm

Bridget -- I do agree with you. Yes, FEMA is actually on the way getting ready to go now, where they waited a week with New Orleans. What I meant about the leadership of Texas is that they already issued a "mandatory" evacuation (although, why they don't close off the freeway going IN and make it OUT only so somebody can move... go figure!)

Hopefully things won't be as bad, since people seem to be heeding the warnings more this time. I feel sorry for those who were evacuated to Texas from Louisiana and have now been sent to other states! I hope things can settle down after this one. This is getting ridiculous.

Jana

rumpleteasermom

Post by rumpleteasermom » September 23rd, 2005, 9:08 am

There were mandatory evacuations ordered for Katrina too. The big difference is the speed these two storms were/are moving. Katrina blasted her way from the Keys to landfall on the north gulf in 56 hours. It's been 72 hours since Rita passed the Keys and she is still 12 hours or so away from landfall.

That extra day makes a HUGE difference in what's possible. But as it is, things are not all peachy either. We got first hand evidence of why busses aren't always a good idea for evacuating the elderly:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050923/ap_ ... losion_hk1
There are gas shortages and people abandoning cars where they run out of gas too. And there are people who have chosen not to leave because the roads are clogged and they would rather take their chances in a building than be stuck in a traffic when she does hit.