My First Implant is Done

All posts from the inception of the board until Dec. 31, 2005

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

cosmic rythyms

My First Implant is Done

Post by cosmic rythyms » December 24th, 2005, 1:00 pm

With the help of encouraging words from many on this board, I went in for my initial implant Thursday morning. The procedure went smoothly. After a last minute talk with my doctor, I decided on the regular subcutaneous implant rather than the sub-pec. My doctor advised that there was a signifigant(1-5%) risk of a number of added complications with the sub-pec. I remember being wheeled into the operating room. I conversed for a few minutes with the nurses. No anasthesia or relaxant up till then. They must have started the anasthesia then as I don't recall seeing the doctor walk in. I guess I'm a cheap date. The next thing I recall was the doctor saying the procedure was over. No pain at all, except for the IV's being put in. I had a nurse that wasn't very competent at that. The anastheseologist wound up sliding that in painlessly in 2 seconds after 5 failed attempts by the pre-op nurse. Post-op I had some pain starting about 4 hours after surgery. Still have some discomfort 48 hours after but nothing severe, and the darvocet they gave me for pain work fine. The implant site is much less noticeable than I was expecting. At this point, 48 hours after surgery it just looks like a little swelled area. No big outline of a device. I think in the end, after the swelling and normal surgical bruising goes away, the device won't be noticeable to anyone except me. I had a single lead Medtronic D154VRC put in. I slept ok last night. Woke up twice but was comfortable. I have been told that I can shower tomorrow(72 hours post-op). I have been told not to raise my arm over my shoulder for a week or 2. No heavy lifting with that arm for a week or two. No other restrictions. If I feel up to it I can drive anytime. The hospital messed up a few things. One being that they mistakenly fed me on the morning after implant....so now the doctor couldn't do the MIPS test as he had planned. I have to go back for the MIPS test next week. What should I expect? They tell me I'll be there for 4 hours total.
Thank you all for the support
A happy holiday and healthy New Year to all
Warren

Shelby
Board Creator

Post by Shelby » December 24th, 2005, 2:05 pm

So glad to hear it went well Warren. I know you had major reservations about this huge step and I'm really glad you went through with it. I'm also glad you discussed a sub-pec openly with your doctor and made the decision as to which would be most appropriate for you. All the best with your recovery and have a wonderful holiday with your new little guardian angel!

Shelby
Afraid to post here? Remember:
"Some people think only intellect counts...but the functions of intellect are insufficient without courage, love, friendship, compassion and empathy." ~Dean Koontz

John C

NEW ICD

Post by John C » December 25th, 2005, 11:18 am

Good to hear all went well Warren and your doing fine!!! Great !!!!
sonds like a piece of cake. Glad your home and doing well. What this
test you have to go bacl for? Also did the Doctor use staples on the outhside... Do you have to go back in a week to see how all is going?
Thanks for your info and keep us up to date on how everything is going

John C..... Charlotte NC.

MERRY CHRISTMAS........ Have a Safe & Happt New Years!!!!

Just think you have a angle watching over you now....

Don36

Post by Don36 » December 25th, 2005, 11:41 am

Hi Warren
Glad all went well, I'm sure you feel great comfort knowing that the ICD is in there. It may take a while but after a little time your will hardly notice it. Not sure what the procedure is that you have to go back for sounds like it may be a routine check or removal of staples. Best of luck.
Don36

cosmic rythyms

Post by cosmic rythyms » December 25th, 2005, 2:12 pm

Feeling a lot better today. 72 hours after implant. Slept allright. Just about 0 pain. Was able to fully shower this morning. I don't have staples. Just steri-strips, which will dissolve with time. The procedure that my doc wants me to go back in for is called a NIPS test. It's where they MINIMALLY sedate you...and then induce VT or VF and administer the shock. Just to make sure the unit works. The doctor told me he shocked me 3 times during implant to test it out and all went well, but I was heavily sedated then. Nobody told me about this NIPS thing, and apparantly it's done every 1 or 2 years. Yikes. Anybody else have this done.
Warren

~guin

Post by ~guin » December 26th, 2005, 2:57 am

I had my NIPS done 4 weeks after implant. That is the only one I have had. That unit was recalled 5 mos after implant and when they changed the units out - it was not necessary to repeat the NIPS. So I have not had one since 10/99. This unit will need to be replaced next year, so I am sure I will in for one weeks after my replacement...

Good luck to you. By the way - I was put out completely and do not remember being shocked at all. I prefer would prefer it that way.

Keep us posted.
~guin

don

Post by don » December 26th, 2005, 12:35 pm

Hi Warren

For the NIPS test they use a fast acting sedative. It will only keep you out long enough for the test to be completed. You will not feel anything as you will be unconscious for a short period of time. Some doctors repeat the test periodically, others don't. My doctor doesn't.

Congratulations on your implant. Now we can count on you being in the family for a long, long time.

Namaste

don

sandy

CONGRATULATIONS TO WARREN

Post by sandy » December 26th, 2005, 2:06 pm

Hi Warren :D
So glad to hear things went well. I guess the rule is something has to go wrong when you enter the hospital no mattter what you are there for. I am glad you are on this side of the procedure and doing so well. It is certainly and encoragement for me as my date is looming ahead although I haven't been given a specific time.
I wish you continued good recovery and would like to hear you are doing as you progress.
Congratualtions to you.
Best wishes from California
Sandy

don

Re: CONGRATULATIONS TO WARREN

Post by don » December 26th, 2005, 2:38 pm

sandy wrote:Hi Warren :D
So glad to hear things went well. I guess the rule is something has to go wrong when you enter the hospital no mattter what you are there for. I am glad you are on this side of the procedure and doing so well. It is certainly and encoragement for me as my date is looming ahead although I haven't been given a specific time.
I wish you continued good recovery and would like to hear you are doing as you progress.
Congratualtions to you.
Best wishes from California
Sandy
Hi Sandy

Please don't get too stressed out about your upcoming implant. Truthfully it is a very minor procedure and you will be up and about in no time. With the implant you will be with us for many long years. Without every day is a roll of the dice.

May God bless you and give you strength in this uncertain time.

Namaste

don

cosmic rythyms

Post by cosmic rythyms » December 26th, 2005, 6:27 pm

Hi Sandy,

While I did have some problems with the hospital that I was in it had nothing to do with the ICD implant and the aftermath(I'm 4 days out). The implant procedure itself went smoothly. No pain at all. No discomfort. And I'm very pleased so far with the aftermath. I was showering after 3 days. I'm sleeping fine. I've been out shopping. I can cook and do laundry. The ICD barely shows. The incision is healing well. A lot of things that I was nervous or concerned about have turned out to be no problem.

Have a healthy New Year
Warren

Shelby
Board Creator

Post by Shelby » December 27th, 2005, 1:27 am

Warren, that's so great to hear. You've got a great attitude and I'm so glad you're healing well. As for the NIPS test--it's up to the doctor. I got my ICD in April of 2002 and have never had a NIPS test. It's not a bad thing, just a preference of the doctor.

Shelby
Afraid to post here? Remember:
"Some people think only intellect counts...but the functions of intellect are insufficient without courage, love, friendship, compassion and empathy." ~Dean Koontz