Difficult Christmas

All posts from the inception of the board until Dec. 31, 2005

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Don36

Difficult Christmas

Post by Don36 » December 23rd, 2005, 4:30 pm

It will be hard to be merry and bright this year, there is not much to be festive about, although we try.

I'm having a difficult time with Christmas this year. My family is scatterd across the U.S. Their homes still lay in ruins from Katrina, some are living the lives of nomads moving from place to place,while others set up temporary homes with relatives and friends. They do not know when or if they will be able to rebuild in the area again.

Our gifts to many will be household items, clothes and appliances to replace those items that the storm has taken from them. Children who normally would be asking for toys or CD's or computer games or now filling their wish list with necessities, clothes, jackets, shoes and other bare essentials. The little ones are concerned that Santa will not find them this year because they have no homes.

The city where I spent my childhood and young adult Christmases still lies devastated and will probably be that way for a long time. New Orleans joy is gone, its carefree attitude blown away by the storm. The soul of what made the city unique, that rare gumbo of people, is scattered. I hope one day it can come back to life.

Sorry I didn't mean to play the "Grinch" but Katrina has taken a lot from us. I had to vent to someone and since I consider you all family I did it here.
I truly hope all of you have a Merry and Blessed Christmas. We will try to do the same, it will be different it will be unique and perhaps it will be Merry.
Don36

Shelby
Board Creator

Post by Shelby » December 23rd, 2005, 4:51 pm

Don, thank you for the reminder of how lucky I am to be able to afford luxury gifts instead of necessities this year. My continued prayers are with you, your family, and everyone who called the swath of Katrina's path "home." I hope this new year brings joy and hope to everyone who's been affected.

Shelby
Afraid to post here? Remember:
"Some people think only intellect counts...but the functions of intellect are insufficient without courage, love, friendship, compassion and empathy." ~Dean Koontz

don

Post by don » December 23rd, 2005, 7:27 pm

Don, we'll all be praying for your and your family's recovery from the storm. Thank God none of yours were killed.

Namaste

don

karslake

Post by karslake » December 23rd, 2005, 7:31 pm

Yes, Don, my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours - in fact to all who have suffered loss in one way or another.

I pray that 2006 will be a better year for those in distress, those who have lost - friends and/or relatives, or possessions, and all those in the active services.

My love and best wishes to all.

Eve & Blabbermouth 111

ruthy

DON 36

Post by ruthy » December 23rd, 2005, 8:25 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out too all that have suffered from this horrible storm, i hope the new year will be a blessed year for all . Thanks also for reminding me how fortunate i am , and God Bless . Hugs Ruthy
DCM, V.T , DIABETES, SLEEP APNEA, DCM GENETIC

Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live.

donnamex

Sorry about the hard christmas time.

Post by donnamex » December 24th, 2005, 12:40 am

don.
I am sorry about you having hard times.
But do not be worry about it.
Firstable, the most precious gift your family have is not to have lost any family member. that is enough to be thankful for.
Secondly i know that you would like kids to ask for some toys, but I can asure you that they will not remember this as a hard christmas.
When i was a kid and there was an earthquake here in mexico my family and i also lost our home, and we live with family too.
But i can tell you that i do not remember that as a hard christmas. because kids do not remember that, kids remember the comfort of having a family and a mother and a parent coming at night to hold you and to care, even if they do not bring anything for you to play with.
My mother always says that she is sorry because we did not have anything , but I always tell her, that i do not remember a day asking for something and not having it.
Because my father and my mother were there, and that was enough for me.
so i think that you family members will forget about not having a fancy christmas and will value more what they have in the future.
Stay strong and continue to be the grinch that we all need you to be.
Love,
donnamex.

Eloise

Post by Eloise » December 24th, 2005, 8:30 am

Don, you probably get mostly BR stations :( . WWL and other New Orleans stations are over doing the cheer :D .
The 12 Yats of Christmas are going strong :lol: . You and I are too close to it to really believe all the Recovery hipe with so many upbeat people reporting :D .
But good for them..........I too pray for the families who are most affected by this devastation. I heard last night that there are still hundreds of missing children, separated from parents during the storm :shock: , the poorest of the poor lived just a few miles down the road from us. :( :( :(
God Bless them and bring Joy and Peace to families!
Wishing you and your family a blessed Christmas and a Joyful 2006!
My Love and Prayers,
Eloise :)

Helen

Post by Helen » December 24th, 2005, 9:53 am

Dear Don, Just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone affected by the terrible Katrina.. but I am sure you will all bounce back. At the terrible time of 9/11 here in New York I wondered if we would recuperate from the horror and the dozens of funerals, etc. but eventually I saw that the human spirit is inexhaustable and I pray that you and your family will have some miracles this Christmas.. Love, Helen

Don36

Post by Don36 » December 24th, 2005, 11:16 am

Thank you all for the prayers and the encouraging words. I realize all is not as "bleak" as I think it is, its just been an awful couple of months for us.
We will survive it and eventually the area will come back.

We wish you all a Merry and Blessed Christmas and we hope you and your families really enjoy the holidays.
Don36

Don36

Post by Don36 » December 24th, 2005, 3:05 pm

Thank you all for the prayers, nice words and encouragement. These past few months have not been easy for a lot of us in south Louisiana and the Gulf Coast. I guess that is why I was so down.

The plus side of this is that many of us have been given the opportunity to reach out to others and to help those in need. I wish I had the time and space to tell you of the gratitude they show at the simplest gift.

We truly wish each of you and your families a Merry and Blessed Christmas. Again thank you for your kind thoughts.
Don36