OT ? Hearing aid interference to ICD

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

freckles1880

OT ? Hearing aid interference to ICD

Post by freckles1880 » December 30th, 2015, 8:30 am

Has anyone heard of hearing aids interfering with ICD settings? Serious question.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mykidsmom

Re: OT ? Hearing aid interference to ICD

Post by mykidsmom » December 30th, 2015, 9:11 am

Nope havent freckles......and funny two of my friends were just having a discussion about it the other day...and woman with the hearing aids checked with her clinic and they said nope......there should not be an issue.......but hey drs differ and patients die as my mom used say....so id advise checking with your clinic either way
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » December 30th, 2015, 9:49 am

They probably interfere with hearing your doctor's instructions on dealing with an ICD.

Given the size now of hearing aids, I can't imagine there is enough magnetism or electric force fields to ever affect an ICD even if stored in your breast pocket. I would think ICD and pacemaker engineers would make quite certain if there was a way a hearing aid could mess up a device, they'd design around that. Think if a cell phone doesn't hurt an ICD, certainly a hearing aid would not.

My grand mother in the 1950's had a BIG hearing aid with a BIG battery pack on a long wire. Maybe, perhaps, remotely, one of those MIGHT have an influence. You're not planning on using your grand mother's hearing aid, are you?

Short version: NO
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » December 30th, 2015, 3:16 pm

While I haven't heard of this issue, I suppose if the hearing aid and ICD are on the same frequency it's possible you could be hearingyour heart beat full volume. do what I do for my Tinnitus...just don't listen.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 30th, 2015, 5:02 pm

ROBO Pop wrote:While I haven't heard of this issue, I suppose if the hearing aid and ICD are on the same frequency it's possible you could be hearing your heart beat full volume. do what I do for my Tinnitus...just don't listen.
That's what I told my Warden. I only hear what I want to. She thinks that should change.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

codman59

Post by codman59 » December 31st, 2015, 7:37 am

I've been using hearing aids longer than I've had an icd.... I wear them every day, and I've never had an issue with them re. my icd.
Cardiomyapathy (reason unknown; suspect viral infection 1998), chf, gout, diabetes, asthma, bad hair.
Medtronics Virtuoso VR implanted Aug 28/08, single lead.

"The generation that would change the world is still looking for its car keys" - "The Rainmakers"

Craig

David882

Post by David882 » December 31st, 2015, 7:48 pm

I suspect that the potential for electromagnetic interference (EMI) between a given ICD and hearing aids is low risk.

The evidence based answer is we don't know.
We have no insight into what, if any, EMI testing was performed on each make/model, so my assessment is a best guess.

For example we should all be aware that the sensors in new cars are being provided with a number of warnings.
Of interest is that a number of car makers give caution that a ICD should never come in close proximity of these sensors.
The specific consequence of such an interaction is not defined.
An example of this is found in the 2015 Volvo S60 owners manual.
It specifically warns against Keyless fobs and antennas closer than 9 inches to an implanted pacemaker/ICD.
There are 6 antennas and 5 are inside the car.

EMI can be rather surprising in cause and consequence.
So you may care to turn your hearing aid off when in the presence of your wife...
With Respect,
David

11 Sept 2012 / Idiopathic Ventricular Fibrillation
At about 2AM I started storming at home, and in the ambulance, and in the ER.
Sometimes I restated and sometimes I had to be defibrillated.
A number of times I went into arrest and stopped breathing.
External defibrillation count exceeded 18 and at some point the team induced a coma.
24 hours later I was revived and have never had another event.
13 Sept 2012 / Medtronic ICD was implanted.
My diagnosis is still idiopathic.

Leah

Post by Leah » December 31st, 2015, 9:30 pm

I have been wearing hearing aids since 7. ICD implanted at age 21. No problems with both. Which one do you hve? My e something to do with the settings on the hearing aids. Good luck.