Welcome to Wazzo231

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Welcome to Wazzo231

Post by mrag » December 26th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Hello WG, I just saw your initial post in the intro thread. I'll quote it here as some members here will never find the intro folder if it yelled at them.
Hi, I am 79 and living alone. Following an atrial fibrillation event on May 25, 2013, I had my ICD implanted on June 7. Since then it has zapped me eight times. The last time was December 24, 2015 when it went off five times.
I have physical checkups every six months and get an overall very good report. I am 5'11" and 160 lbs. and workout six days a week, with aerobic and strength routines, in moderation.
I am interested is learning from others about their lifestyles with a ICD, including their specific approach to exercise, medication, and eating habits.
Best regards,
WG
Well you certainly had an exciting Christmas Eve. FIVE shocks??!?! We are not doctors here and can only make comments and suggestions (now feel free to ask me who to vote for next Nov, but we need to be careful on the medical stuff). Offhand, I think you need some new doctors. But is there more you can provide? Like where are you, the Arctic, Texas, Mongolia?) Your current drugs, that sort of stuff. It is rare to get that many shocks. Not unheard of, but rare.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

freckles1880

Re: Welcome to Wazzo231

Post by freckles1880 » December 26th, 2015, 8:17 pm

howdywelcome WG. Sorry your unit went off so many times and on Christmas Eve. Do they know why it went off so many times? Have they made any adjustments to your ICD or medications? Keeping fit is certainly very important as long as you are not overdoing the workouts. I hope the doctors can answer your questions and get you back to feeling good and shock free.

As mrag has said, please give us some more information about you and your condition/medications.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Leedur

Post by Leedur » December 26th, 2015, 8:45 pm

Wazzo, Sounds like you are getting plenty of exercise and Freckles is correct about possibly getting too much. Staying hydrated is #1 on my daily list. Welcome to the group.

dick

Post by dick » December 26th, 2015, 9:19 pm

The usual rule on shocks is: Two or more shocks in a 24 hour period = Go immediately to the ER, do not pass Go, do not collect $200." So are you in the hospital now?

slk123

Post by slk123 » December 27th, 2015, 6:34 am

Welcome, Wazzo! Glad you found us. This is a group who gets through our situations with humor, love, and sometimes heartfelt kindness :D

To answer some of your questions, (I'm 47) the only food restrictions I have is no caffeine. I am currently exercising about 3 times a week biking and doing a very short interval training of about 4-6 minutes. That can wipe me out for the rest of the day and I won't be able to take care of my 5 little children (ages 4-12) or get the chores done around the house. My life has changed in that I don't go out much, I fall asleep pretty early at night (8:00pm), and I need to rest throughout the week. I'm on a beta blocker and an ace inhibitor.

Even though my life seems totally different than before, I'm working through accepting it and moving on. It's taken me about a year to realize what changes are needed. I still get down on myself but at least I can say I'm still here and can hug all my children every day!

Hope you get some answers that will help you!
Best wishes,
Stacey

CHF Jan 2016
ICD Nov 2014
LBBB Nov 2014
Sudden cardiac arrest Nov 2014
Arrhythmia Aug 1982

wazza231

Post by wazza231 » December 27th, 2015, 6:39 am

Thanks for your response. I live in South Carolina, and I am taking:
COREG 3.125 MG TAKE I TABLET IN AM AND 1 IN PM (Just prescribed following the five zaps on December 24, which landed me in the ER for the afternoon)
(BETA BLOCKER)

ELIQUIS 5 MG TABLET TAKE I TABLET IN AM AND 1 IN PM
(BLOOD THINNER)

DIGOXIN 125 MCG TABLET TAKE ONE TABLET IN AM
(REGULATE HEARTBEAT)

SIMVASTATIN 20 MG TABLET TAKE 1 TABLET IN PM
(LOWER CHOLESTEROL)

VALSARTAN 80 MG TAKE ONE TABLET IN PM
(ARB THAT RELAXES BLOOD VESSELS

TEMAZEPAM 15 MG TAKE 1 TABLET AT NIGHT AS NEEDED
(SLEEP)

wazza231

Post by wazza231 » December 27th, 2015, 6:49 am

I have switched to decaf coffee as of yesterday to eliminate the caffeine.
Additionally, I intend to cut back on my exercise level and try more walking and stretching. Living in the moment is a goal for me to attempt to decrease the stress in my life. Wish me luck!
Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
WG

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » December 27th, 2015, 8:04 am

Well if you're 79 there a few us here that could use some of your advice. And you got your ICD at age 77? Did you have any heart issues prior to that time, a pacemaker, etc? What did the ER do for you following your shock storm? Did they give, change or add anything? What's your EF? You seem to be doing everything right.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

InSync

Post by InSync » December 27th, 2015, 10:32 am

Welcome Wazzo231! So sorry to hear about your Christmas adventure. The holidays seem particularly treacherous for us.

You are on a really low dose of Coreg. If I read your story correctly, you were shocked 3 times since June and then the 5 shock storm in December. That's pretty significant. What kind of heart history did you have prior to the ICD implant? Did you see your cardio doc in the ER or just the ER staff? I hope you have an appointment with your doc soon and get a better understanding of what's going on.

If you haven't done cardiac rehab previously, I would highly recommend it. You can learn a lot about your exercise tolerance and how your heart responds. I hope your next 6 months are less eventful than the previous 6 have been!
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....