Need a new battery and a new Medtronic ICD soon.

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Hal

Need a new battery and a new Medtronic ICD soon.

Post by Hal » December 26th, 2015, 6:05 pm

At my recent ICD pacer check, I was told that I will need a new battery and probably a new Medtronics ICD shortly. My old battery has lasted about six years and I was shocked once with 5 shocks and once a couple of years later with 1 shock. I have been told it will be an outpatient procedure, but I would like to know what to expect afterwards. For example, will I have to make sure I don't raise my left arm afterwards for awhile? I take a blood thinner (Xarelto), so I hope that doesn't complicate things.

Hal

freckles1880

Re: Need a new battery and a new Medtronic ICD soon.

Post by freckles1880 » December 26th, 2015, 8:03 pm

I don't think you have to worry about a replacement. Yes, you may have to keep the arm down for a short while. And Yes, most of the time you will find it to be an outpatient procedure. Almost all of those who have had a replacement have found it is easier than the original as the leads are left alone. The doctors will tell you upfront if you need to cut back on the blood thinner and for how long.
I am also waiting for a replacement sometime in the next 90 days and am on Warfarin, usually I need to cut off of it for 3-5 days prior to a procedure.

Just think you are getting a newer and more advanced model.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » December 27th, 2015, 8:42 pm

The new Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D I got last January seems to be using its battery more efficiently and came with a CareLink monitor that uses cell technology instead of relying on my ancient landline.

And as Bob told you, if they're not replacing leads it will be a much quicker recovery time and almost no concern about using the left arm.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

LeoH

Post by LeoH » December 29th, 2015, 12:54 pm

don´t worry too much. procedure and the "after" is much more simple and faster than first one. there is no such thing as battery replacement. all icd must be change but usually keep wires. i been replaced 3 times already and will change again next year. Just relax and have a very happy new ICD and Happy new Year too
Leopoldo[/b][/b]
Quimo & Radio on 1988-9
First event on Dec 6, 2001. Since then: 3 stent, 7 bypass, 1 valve chaged, 2 reapired.
Medtronic Concerto inplanted on June 2007, replaced Sep 2010 and new VIVA on Agust 2013
14 shocks and counting
PS. Please forgive my bad english

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » December 29th, 2015, 2:46 pm

what everyone is saying is right...you;ll do great..it is 99% of the time a day surgery....and yes the dont lift your arm thingy still applies...Good luck....
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!