ICD going off

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

coeursoeur

ICD going off

Post by coeursoeur » December 24th, 2015, 2:34 pm

My father's ICD went off 5 times today and he is in the ER. He was on the treadmill, looked down and saw that his heart rate was 155 BPM. He thought "that can't be" and had a moment of lightheadedness before his ICD went off. He was able to get off the treadmill. The device went off again and knocked him down. It then went off three more times. He says he feels fine now, but this can't be good. Any thoughts? Thanks so much.

LibraBaby

Re: ICD going off

Post by LibraBaby » December 24th, 2015, 2:42 pm

I'm sorry about your dad. It can be a scary thing. I remember when mine went off it was because of a 90% percent blockage of the RCA and I too felt better instantly. They lowered my heart target to 145 from 165, I get it to around 120-125 when I'm at full peak to keep it safe. The device could have off for a number of reason only the doctors will tell you why. Stay positive and I hope it all works out. :D :D :D

coeursoeur

Post by coeursoeur » December 24th, 2015, 2:49 pm

Thanks so much for your good wishes. That's very interesting that you felt better after the device went off - is that common?

LibraBaby

Post by LibraBaby » December 24th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Everybody is different. I have VT, so I needed just the one zap, some folks need more. What you need to know is that device did it's job and now the hopefully the docs correct the problem.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » December 24th, 2015, 3:17 pm

thats scary...but he was obviously in the best place right now...cos they'll check him out......my ICD fired 24 times last year during christmas week.....and on christmas day i had 4 cardiac arrests and a whopper of a heart attack....so those little boxes in our chests are the best things ever........your dad will be ok love..........
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » December 24th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Good point there Libra.

I've felt a lot better straight after a shock as well.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » December 24th, 2015, 4:22 pm

Most of the time when the ICD fires it has just saved a life. Being at the ER should allow them to get some better answers on what it did and what they can do to stop his needing a shock. I pray everything will get back to a better normal.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

coeursoeur

Post by coeursoeur » December 24th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Thanks so much. I hope tomorrow is a restful, joyful Christmas Day for everyone!

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » December 24th, 2015, 7:15 pm

I always feel much better after a shock, I look at is as a life saver, but also a re-set button, you know like on electronic devices, it brings our heart back to normal.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

slk123

Post by slk123 » December 24th, 2015, 10:26 pm

Thank God his little device did it's job. To me it makes sense to feel better after the shock because before it your heart isn't doing what it's supposed to and your body is all off. After, well, the body should go back to normal. But I also wonder about the healing that it needs to go through....so how much better should one feel after a shock????

Merry Christmas, an angel's bell was ringing tonight. angel :D
Best wishes,
Stacey

CHF Jan 2016
ICD Nov 2014
LBBB Nov 2014
Sudden cardiac arrest Nov 2014
Arrhythmia Aug 1982

InSync

Post by InSync » December 27th, 2015, 11:04 am

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's shocking experience. As you've learned, "good" is a matter of perspective. It isn't good that he needed shocks, but it is good that he had the ICD onboard to do the job. It's also good that he is still here!

It is very common to feel better after a shock. When your heart rate is fast enough to warrant a shock, you generally feel pretty awful. Returning to normal is very sweet! I hope the rest of his holiday was uneventful!
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » December 28th, 2015, 1:20 pm

Sorry your dad got the Jesus Jolts. They actually sound like inappropriate shocks. He needs to work with the Dr to get it set for his needs to avoid a repeat.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375