Smokers, it is time to start playing the electric flute.

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

garya

Re: Smokers, it is time to start playing the electric flute.

Post by garya » September 1st, 2015, 8:56 am

Why in the movies James Bond doesn't smoke any more? Why doesn't anyone smoke on tv anymore?

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » September 1st, 2015, 9:48 am

It's been 83 days since I've quit smoking. I used to smoke a pack (25) a day, sometimes more.

I started vaping the day I quit cigarettes. I don't enjoy vaping nearly as much as I like to think I enjoyed cigarettes. I do believe vaping has helped me remain a non smoker and I don't vape near as much or often as I smoked.

Good luck with it Colin! :::)
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 1st, 2015, 11:22 am

I do hope those of you working toward quitting by vaping are successful. Like Bob, I'm of the mind nothing will work until you truly want to then it's fairly easy, nothing macho about it.

And Madison...We believe here you have the right to express yourself freely as long as it doesn't hurt others, so you go ahead and burn that bra. In fact we'd provide support to everyone of you ladies if you chose to do that. :D
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mcmoyer

Post by mcmoyer » September 1st, 2015, 11:57 am

I also quit, in March when I joined this wonderful group of 'electronically enhanced individuals'!!!

I quit cold turkey, as did my husband (I quit previously when I was trying and ultimately got pregnant with my kids- now 24 and 21 but my husband never quit so super proud of hairy dude) I have gained about 10 pounds...but happy to be almost 6 months smoke free! It wasn't easy, I still have times that I crave (mornings)

Good luck to all those trying to cut down, quit...more power to you!!!

:hugg:
Maureen

Moved to North Dallas, TX in 2013 (But a Jersey Girl at heart :) )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
St Jude ICD implanted April 2015; removed June 2015 due to infection
July 2015 new St Jude ICD and leads implanted
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diagnosed LBBB March 2015, Congestive Heart Failure
Multiple VTs identified first by 30 day monitor, then in the ER, and during the week in hospital...
Diagnosed with Left Ventricular Non Compaction (Cardiomyopathy)

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » September 1st, 2015, 12:01 pm

We all know that smoking is a terrible terrible thing to do and rather stupid.

There is no counter argument and nothing rational to justify it.

As of four days ago, despite my heart issues I hadn't even considered giving up. The only times I had briefly in over 30 years were when I was in hospital in intensive care where I physically couldn't. But once I could, I'd unplug the wiring and carry the drip / IV out with me for a crafty fag.

How stupid can you get. I justified in that my heart problems were all electrical and it didn't make any difference. Even stoopid'er !

Anyway, a bit of feedback after four and a bit days off the weed proper, I'M STILL OFF IT!

So it seems tooting the electric flute is doing its thing. Toot toot. Despite it being a flute and not a clarinet, so far I have learnt to play "Strangers on the shore" by "Acker Bilk" whilst at the same time fake smoking water melons!

https://youtu.be/Q7jZeXvpyZQ

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » September 1st, 2015, 12:15 pm

Don't mess with my Toot Toot

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » September 1st, 2015, 1:17 pm

ROBO Pop wrote: And Madison...We believe here you have the right to express yourself freely as long as it doesn't hurt others, so you go ahead and burn that bra. In fact we'd provide support to everyone of you ladies if you chose to do that. :D
I wonder what you mean when you say you will "provide support" for something if the ladies burn their bra. Does your wife know about your offers?

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » September 1st, 2015, 1:24 pm

I found open heart surgery, a 6" scan down the middle of my chest, an ICD and a few months of cardiac therapy to be one hell of a motivator to quit smoking. Going on 10 years and yes, still a rare urge to inhale, but which passes very quickly. I do take some pride (have to get some somewhere) in saying "I don't smoke."

Now medical marijuana might be another issue altogether . . . .
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 1st, 2015, 2:47 pm

Shouldn't this have been "Re: Smokers, it is time to start playing the electric HARP?.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

kiwiguy

Post by kiwiguy » September 1st, 2015, 2:56 pm

Colin Pearson wrote:We all know that smoking is a terrible terrible thing to do and rather stupid.

There is no counter argument and nothing rational to justify it.

As of four days ago, despite my heart issues I hadn't even considered giving up. The only times I had briefly in over 30 years were when I was in hospital in intensive care where I physically couldn't. But once I could, I'd unplug the wiring and carry the drip / IV out with me for a crafty fag.

How stupid can you get. I justified in that my heart problems were all electrical and it didn't make any difference. Even stoopid'er !

Anyway, a bit of feedback after four and a bit days off the weed proper, I'M STILL OFF IT!

So it seems tooting the electric flute is doing its thing. Toot toot. Despite it being a flute and not a clarinet, so far I have learnt to play "Strangers on the shore" by "Acker Bilk" whilst at the same time fake smoking water melons!

https://youtu.be/Q7jZeXvpyZQ
I say good on ya Pom.

Owning the issue and not making excuses or looking for sympathy. From what I've read you have found something that you think might help you, and you are sharing it on the off chance it may help someone else. Nothing wrong with that.

If it works for you, then it works for you.....good on ya mate.

Kiwi

dick

Post by dick » September 1st, 2015, 3:11 pm

ROBO Pop wrote:Shouldn't this have been "Re: Smokers, it is time to start playing the electric HARP?.
STOP this bashing. Only half the people that die from smoking have heart issues. The rest I believe are all lung shortages and we have portable air cylinders for them. And those cylinders might come in very handy when the world floods over from the climate warming that is not happening and you are underwater. Humans are no longer any good about breathing under water.
It's been 83 days since I've quit smoking. I used to smoke a pack (25) a day, sometimes more.
At $6 a pack, that's around $500. And you are doing what with the money? (down here we would only get 20 cigs in a pack)

And for those that still smoke, you need to quit, now. What can we do here to make that happen? Don't do a Trump and lash out when people only have your best welfare at heart (pun, sorry). To me, being nice and understanding is not the way to go along with this habit. And try and understand, if nobody gave a crap about your smoking, this would have been one very short thread.

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » September 1st, 2015, 4:02 pm

I've no idea if I will be successful in this.

Suzanne is the leader here, 83 days using the same method. That gives me hope.

Thank you Suzanne.

The difference for me now though is that I actually want to stop whereas before like my Canadian Aunt, I couldn't have given a toss.

I'm only a few days in but this is further than I've got before, so for those who might considering stopping, it seems to be working.

Leedur

Post by Leedur » September 1st, 2015, 9:31 pm

I smoked from age 16 to 21 (back in the 60's when "underage smoking" was not an issue). Picked up habit again at age 39 for a 2 year period......then quit and haven't smoked since.....almost 28 years. Remember that my motivation was I didn't feel well and attributed it to smoking.

Decided to try and get healthy......oh, forgot to mention I stopped drinking alcohol too 26 yrs ago. Quit both "Cold Turkey". It had to be a shock to bodily organs. Kind of felt bad because I'm sure at least one Anheuser Busch employee lost his job due to drop in product demand.

Smoking was the hardest.....had dreams about smoking for 1st year. Like most changes, it got easier with time passage.

My point is: "I traded bad habits for good ones".....Exercise and healthier eating. Rather than sitting around, waiting to cave, wondering "can I do this", an extra effort beyond "Just Quitting".

I know that at this stage of life and with our ailments......exercise options can be limited. Walking may be someone's only option, add some stretching and it's enough. Just sharing what worked for me.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » September 1st, 2015, 10:32 pm

Colin...im so happy this is working for you......and you, and indeed anyone whos given up the smokes has my full and sincere support....and your right.....its not really something you can decide to do and stick to it.. unless the little "click" goes off in your brain....and it seems to have done.....I know the times i stopped smoking...i had made several attempts id stop smoking at 9am every monday...and by noon time id be charging to the store for my fix........but the times i actually did it...id just get up....have the morning coffee and go about my day.....no floofla no planning, no commotion........and this would be the time id have success....the time i started smoking again after 13 years i didnt plan that either...it just happened..

Leedur your right....better to replace the habit with healthier ones.....Ive always cycled and ran....but a year or so after the icd i had a stroke that took my eyesight in one eye, which has left me sorta disorientated on the bike, i cant mountain bike anymore and combine the lack of sight and the brain fog meds im safer off the road lol..but i have gone back recently to indoor cycling...bought this gadget which lets me use my road bike indoors.......and im really aware that i would be doing a lot better job of cycling if i wasnt smoking......so maybe.....im not saying never wont give them up....but who knows lol......my heart issues arent caused by smoking, they are caused by electrical faults i was born with and Lupus attacks.....my lung function is perfect...perhaps if i had obvious signs of smoking affecting me i would stop cold turkey..

anyways good luck colin....very proud of you and suzanne......
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » September 2nd, 2015, 12:36 pm

A big thank you to everyone for the encouragement.

It has been six days now, I'm sure I've broken the back of it. I hope to continue on as an ex-smoker.

For anyone who happens to read this thread who does still smoke and are thinking of quitting, these electric flutes are the way to do it.
Last edited by Colin Pearson on September 2nd, 2015, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.