Smokers, it is time to start playing the electric flute.

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Colin Pearson

Smokers, it is time to start playing the electric flute.

Post by Colin Pearson » August 29th, 2015, 2:10 pm

Dear fellow smokers,

Yesterday I jumped on the bandwagon which is electronic cigarettes. I'd read the hype and seen the weird-beard hipsters using them on u-tube for sometime but had never really considered them.

Yesterday though a switch was flicked in my head and I decided I wanted know more. Here in the UK and no doubt there are similar things happening elsewhere, there are e-cig or vaping shops popping up here there and everywhere. I pass a recently opened one quite often and decided to stop and go in.

First though, a bit of background to me and smoking habit. And first of all, I know I am an idiot to have ever started smoking in the first place. I think those of us that smoke or who have ever smoked all regret having ever started it. But me, I actually like it, I enjoy it and despite my heart issues have continued to smoke.

Here in the UK smoking is a very expensive habit whereby (with the cost also shown approx converted);

A packet of 20 cigarettes costs
£9
$14 US
$19 Aus
Euros 12

A four ounce or 50 gram pouch of hand rolling tobacco costs
£19
$29 US
$41 Aus
Euros 26

So the cost of it was getting a bit tiresome as here there is an incredible amount of tax added to tobacco products. This helped with me finally making the decision to visit the shop. An e-cig will save me a fortune which is a bonus.

The shop itself, all glass, stainless steel and modern. I walked in and said, "I want to give up smoking and believe these electric flutes can help". On display all sorts flutes, even pink ones for the ladies :wink: They are not actually called flutes, I'm only calling them that to appear as un-hipster as possible, they are called vapourisers [*] or vapes. [*] For American readers you may want to loose the 'U' and change the 'S' to a 'Z'.

So here I was, the shopkeep said, you can try out anything before you buy. So I did. I was extremely skeptical and I was convinced that these things were just a gimmick and a poor substitute for actually smoking. I was convinced that they wouldn't hit the spot. Hitting the spot in smokers language and in order of priority (certainly for me) is;

1, The throat 'hit'
2, The exhale of smoke
3, The nic fix.

So I prepared, the instructions were; press the button and then 'draw' and 'inhale' as you would when smoking a cigarette. CRIKEY, the sensation is so so similar to real smoking it is untrue. In that instant the hype became reality, I knew I wanted to buy one and I knew that it would be something that would actually help me quit unlike the patches and gum I'd tried in the past in my feeble attempts to give up.

I tried various electric flutes and ended up spending a bit more money on a device a few levels above a basic starter kit.

The basic principal of these things is that there is a electric heater coil that turns a glycerin and nicotine mixture to water vapour. Within that mixture there is a flavour, of which there are many to choose from, I chose 'Grape' and 'Watermelon'. Who'd have thought it! The fluid or 'juice' as the hipsters call it that you put in these things comes with various strengths of nicotine so you can taper down to wean yourself off. The standard strengths are 24mg, 16mg, 8mg and 0mg. You can obviously mix and match any of the above to obtain anything between.

I bought some 16mg fluid which is keeping me satisfied and not wanting to reach for a 'stinky'. Stinky is what the hipsters call a proper cigarette.

The sensation is very very similar to proper smoking and as at the time of writing I'm a day and a half in and have not even thought about a real cigarette and that for me is astonishing. I really cannot adequatly explain and convey how impressed I am at these things. I really do know that this time it is real, I've given up smoking and will wean myself off the flute in time.

I know that despite these things only creating water vapour that there must be a downside, of which at this time is probably not known or fully understood but they have got to better than actual smoke with its tar and other nasties. I don't intend to be doing for very long.

To conclude, if like me you are weary of these things, still smoke and are skeptical, I strongly urge you to pop into one of the shops and give one a try. As of almost two days ago i was a 20 to 30 a day smoker and had been for a little over thirty years. When I've previously tried to give up with patches or gum I never lasted half a day but I know that with my new 'magic electric flute' I'm going to succeed.

Any wise-cracks, character assassinations, supreme ballcackling and dick-sprain'isms (Rag & Robo) more than welcomed in response to this and again I already know I am an idiot for smoking in the first place but I just felt I needed to evangalise a little bit. I'll report back and update on how I'm getting on.

P.S. I'm not a weird-beard hipster and never will be. I do however feel like I am now living in a sci-fi film, mostly Bladerunner.
Last edited by Colin Pearson on August 29th, 2015, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Pearson

Re: Smokers, it is time to start playing the electric flute.

Post by Colin Pearson » August 29th, 2015, 2:12 pm

I don't admire Hipsters at all and am aware of the Hipster paradox.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » August 29th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Contrary to your expectations, I am a reformed smoker, however unlike most I do not condemn or preach, although I must admit the smell when I walk by someone taking a tug is offensive. Still, after 10 years the thought still crosses my mind periodically, no real temptation just - oh a cigarette would be nice now. Anyway like you, I actually enjoyed it, and made no apologies. I do think it's rather poor form to continue after a major heart episode, but your choice.

What I really wanted to say was just don't delude yourself into believing :
1. it won't bother others...like you, I've found it's no different for those around you when you blow the smoke in their direction
2. It doesn't help you quit smoking. My son has tried that tack numerous times unsuccessfully and reports indicate it just doesn't work.

One final thought...
What type golf clubs did you say you had?
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » August 29th, 2015, 3:03 pm

ROBO Pop wrote:One final thought...
What type golf clubs did you say you had?
A bicycle. Any use?

I know, I'm not being complacent. Part of the smoking ritual is always going outside the house anyway so I'm mindful of my emissions effecting others.

Your Son, the flutes didn't work for him?

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » August 29th, 2015, 3:43 pm

I quit smoking in 1977. I had tried many things to help me and I finally decided to quit. That's when I was able to do it. Like ROBO said I still occasionally the desire but have not even tried since I quit.

I am not an expert on the electronic type but I do know that many parts of the USA have banned them in public areas and there are "reports" that they may not be that much better for your health as there is unknown substances in many of the oils. I am not going to start a fight on the rights and wrongs, but I do know smoking is NOT good for the heart.

Good Luck

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » August 29th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Bob,

You and Robo quit the hard way. I'm not tough enough to do that despite several attempts.

I know the e-cigs are far from ideal and there are a lot of unknowns with them but the current thinking is that they are a lot safer. If I can use them as a means of getting off the dreaded weed then I'm happy.

I intend to to taper down my nicotine intake and then one day simply stop.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » August 29th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Like I said "when you are ready you will be able to quit" pressure from others is not the answer.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

dick

Post by dick » August 29th, 2015, 7:25 pm

It has been proven there is no advantage to quitting smoking until your first major heart attack or open heart surgery. And even at that time, you still have three months to decide if you want to restart. These e cigarettes are pure bull. They hardly damage your lungs or arteries and only rarely does smoking cause a problem with fatal arrhythmias. Besides at that point you would probably be carrying a spare oxygen cylinder and have your own icd so what's the problem? And as for any cancers, chemo and radiation are great nowadays. Takes weeks to lose your hair, you get to eat all you want as much as you want and so you vomit a lot. No big deal, people go to college just to learn how to vomit a lot. This is not a good thread. People should be allowed to choose their own method to slowly wither away in pain and distress while still being able to pass along second and third hand smoke damage to their nearest and dearest friends and relatives. There's no point.

Michael L

Post by Michael L » August 30th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Colin, Congratulations on making the switch!! I did it about 16 months ago. Much like you, I stopped into a local shop and asked for information. I left with a relatively cheap starter set up and some tobacco flavored vape. Started reading and learning and within a couple of month I was making my own juice and building coils.

I have since moved up to ProVari with Russian toppers. Started at 12mg, now down to 3mg or 0mg depnding on which juiice I am using. Thanks to vaping I have not had any desire at all to go back to analogs, and now can't stand the smell of them!!

Congrautions and vape on !!!
Biotronik Ilesto 7 implanted May 5, 2014
CABG 3X February 1998

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » August 30th, 2015, 6:34 pm

firstly.....i have to say........congratulations to all of you who kicked the habit... I havent kicked it.....and ive no intention of kicking it........in fact after my icd worked its magic on christmas day and i was waiting for the paramedics after the cardiac arrest......i had a quick smoke.....soon as i was home from the bypass surgery.......i hobbled out to have my first in 6 weeks lol...and i know its sad........but in my favor i have to say i did kick the habit for 13 years at one time.......and 4 almost 5 another time ..and some long periods of a year here and there in between.....i can stop them easily enough...staying off them is the bloomin issue...

anyways my first introduction to these e thingys was christmas eve when my son was outside in a blizzard smoking one.....and i joined him....i was having heart issues at the time...so im not really able to say how it was....cos i needed to sit down.....but honestly.......i dont think im sold on them...and also ive read some reports saying they actually cause more health issues than ciggies......my ET and the cardiac surgeon....and family dr, none of them recommend i stop smoking....my theory is...without the smokes i'll be stressed......maybe on some meds who knows.....ive already technically died more than 6 times.....sooooo......my et said under no circumstances should i stop smoking but i should cut back a bit.. I would love to say ok...im done...but i cant....something has to click in my brain...and its not happening right now.......the fear of death would be easier for me right now than to discover in the am i was out of smokes lol.

:mutt:

congratulations colin.....as your canadian auntie..im very proud of you.....x0
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » August 31st, 2015, 4:42 pm

mykidsmom wrote: ...something has to click in my brain...and its not happening right now...
my dear, we never doubted it ...
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

madison

Post by madison » August 31st, 2015, 6:47 pm

I do not wish to be a bra burning, flag burning type revolutionary, but smoking is bad. It is that simple, bad. It is even worse for those with heart disease and if you are here you have heart disease. If you still wish to smoke, that is clearly your own personal business, but please keep it only your business, strictly your business. As a smoker, you need to recognise the effects on others including one you never even think about or is ever mentioned.

Second hand smoke-smoke that people around you smell and can cause them disease
Third hand smoke-the smoke you leave on your clothes and on the furniture and rugs around you and that can cause others disease
and maybe the worst
Fourth hand smoke-where you as a smoker leave the impression that not every smoker dies of heart disease or lung cancer, that it might be OK for them to smoke because you still smoke and feel fine.

We know quitting is hard. Supposedly nicotine is more addictive than cocaine. Just do not make it harder by offering up excuses. Don't ever allow someone to think even for a second that they can get away scot-free from the ill effects of smoking. Sorry for my sententious preaching.
At first I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger and bigger .......... And then it hit me!

kiwiguy

Post by kiwiguy » August 31st, 2015, 8:24 pm

ROBO Pop wrote:although I must admit the smell when I walk by someone taking a tug is offensive.
That's illegal in New Zealand. The tugging I mean, not the walking by..... nononono

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » August 31st, 2015, 11:02 pm

madison wrote:I do not wish to be a bra burning, flag burning type revolutionary, but smoking is bad. It is that simple, bad. It is even worse for those with heart disease and if you are here you have heart disease. If you still wish to smoke, that is clearly your own personal business, but please keep it only your business, strictly your business. As a smoker, you need to recognise the effects on others including one you never even think about or is ever mentioned.

Second hand smoke-smoke that people around you smell and can cause them disease
Third hand smoke-the smoke you leave on your clothes and on the furniture and rugs around you and that can cause others disease
and maybe the worst
Fourth hand smoke-where you as a smoker leave the impression that not every smoker dies of heart disease or lung cancer, that it might be OK for them to smoke because you still smoke and feel fine.

We know quitting is hard. Supposedly nicotine is more addictive than cocaine. Just do not make it harder by offering up excuses. Don't ever allow someone to think even for a second that they can get away scot-free from the ill effects of smoking. Sorry for my sententious preaching.

Is this lecture in reply to me by any chance.....Cos if it is..i have one piece of advice....BACK OFF......my opinion is my own.....what i do is my own business......and i do not need lectures from you.......thanks though glad you took the time ....or wasted it....and yes your as entitled to your opinion as i am..
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

codman59

Post by codman59 » September 1st, 2015, 8:46 am

I "cold-turkey" quit it in 1988 when I was at a 2 25-cig pack a day habit. About a year before I was all finished at my job, the e-cigs were just becoming quite popular, but they were immediately roped in with cigarettes in the company's no smoking policies, with no exceptions. I don't mean any offence to anybody, but I just find them weird-looking, and having caught a whiff in the face of this vapour or whatever it is while walking through a pedway (non-smoking area) from some big guy who was spreading the cheer, I did not find it pleasant at all.
I'm definitely not a militant non-smoker, and quitting boils down to whenever you convince yourself that you're going to give it up, come hell or high water. I think some of the aids such as Nicorette or whatever maybe helpful to some people, but I just don't want to be around smoke or the vapours (since nobody really seems to know for sure what's in them, but keeps preaching they're safe).
Cold turkey is difficult, but it works if you're determined. The biggest thing obstacle for me was finding something to do with your hands that wouldn't get you arrested.
Cardiomyapathy (reason unknown; suspect viral infection 1998), chf, gout, diabetes, asthma, bad hair.
Medtronics Virtuoso VR implanted Aug 28/08, single lead.

"The generation that would change the world is still looking for its car keys" - "The Rainmakers"

Craig