So.....im not happy...

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

mykidsmom

So.....im not happy...

Post by mykidsmom » January 21st, 2015, 1:32 pm

Things are improving a lot.....so im happy in that way...BUT i have huge complaints and issues..ok i know ive no business complaining considering....BUT

The run and print outs from my December incidents show.......26 shocks from my icd over the last two weeks before christmas......I felt only ONE of these (maybe two)....and it was absolutely nothing like id expected which is why i was able to ignore it.. they were all appropriate shocks according to the cardiologists and you can easily see from the printouts what my heart was doing at the time...theres no doubt i was shocked........i also received 4 more shocks on christmas day during 4 sca incidents....seems the medical staff and my family felt them lol..i didnt so im not even counting them.....my huge question is....why didnt i feel any of these....whats going on....id expect i guess in my mind to shudder and shake sorta like an electric shock.....the one i deffo felt was like getting smacked with a bullet in my chest bone...and the other one i might have felt was like a lesser shot...either way its thanks very much to my much hated ICD that im alive....and it and i have a totally new relationship now....although im scared i wont recognize a shock again.....how did you feel when you got shocked......im going to ask this question again soon as i see the cardiologist in a couple of weeks....
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

ROBO Pop

Re: So.....im not happy...

Post by ROBO Pop » January 21st, 2015, 2:23 pm

mykidsmom wrote:how did you feel when you got shocked......im going to ask this question again soon as i see the cardiologist in a couple of weeks....
I felt embarrassed the first time I can recall being shocked. It was on a trip to Malaysia. I got up from my seat to use the rest room, opened the door and there stood an old lady with her pants at half mast, and no top bathing in that tiny sink.

The second time...well we'll just pass on that one.

What you feel and how you perceive the shock is based on too many variables to just make a blanket statement. But that shouldn't matter. What's important is the device resuscitated you so you could continue your secret trysts with Mrag...
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » January 21st, 2015, 5:16 pm

well the first one would have shocked me too......so what exactly was the second incident..

regarding yer man rags...can you believe the nerve of that brat........god knows how many of us he has on a string... im surprised his icd isnt firing hourly..

i will never trust my instincts again re heart issues

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » January 21st, 2015, 6:33 pm

I have always felt my shocks, but I tend to feel them in my unit, and they feel very electrical, is the only way I can describe it. It is definitely something I could not ignore.

I don't know if you are lucky or not with how you feel the shocks. But one thing is for sure, you have to go on what your body is telling you, not what you want it to be or your instincts. If you look honestly at what was happening with you, you naughty overactive Irish Lassie, you were aware of what was going on with your heart but you chose to ignore them because you did not want what was happening to interfere with your family or Christmas preparations. Thankfully your family now does not have a very distressing memory of Christmas, but are able to enjoy your presence for a lot of years to come.

I know you didn't like your device, and hated the fact that it reminded you that you had heart issues. But as you said, you now have a new respect for it. And so you should. I very much doubt that you will ever get up to this type of shenanigans again, as I think you have learned the hard way that our body knows more than our brain does, and any instinct that arises should be based on the symptoms that we are feeling, not from the denial area of our brain which reasons that it is too inconvenient for us at the moment.

I can't talk too much as I let my septicemia get to a pretty bad stage, but that will never happen again. As some wise person once said, 'what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger', you are ready to lift those heavy weights now.

Glad you are improving, but please don't fall back into your 'superwoman' mode, as you are a pretty special woman, but you have to start to take more care of yourself, as you have seen, life still goes on without you being the moving force behind everything.

And just to remind you that you have every reason in the world to be VERY HAPPY, I have put this below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » January 21st, 2015, 7:26 pm

awww chrissie your so right..i love these little kids like nothing else in the world....they are my reason for being here im sure..

the shocks though...id sorta imagined i feel an electric current, and stagger around rattling or something..but your right..i knew full well something wasnt right..and i did chose to ignore it.....wont be doing that again any time soon...i want to be around to cheer for laurens baby lol.......and you being a grandma

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » January 21st, 2015, 7:39 pm

Oh yes, that will be the celebration of the Century, well at least from this little corner of the world. Her fiance (getting married in Sept) even said to her it is a shame that they can't have a baby earlier for ME, dancee but it still hasn't changed the situation. She is so level headed and wants to get permanency with her teaching first, :( which could happen this year, as she gets 7 years maternity leave if she wants it, but the normal is 6 months, either half pay or full pay 3 months, so that is what the delay is. I can't blame her, life does go on beyond children, but just wish I didn't have to wait.
Last edited by Ozchrissy on January 21st, 2015, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,

dick

Post by dick » January 21st, 2015, 8:16 pm

mykidsmom wrote:The run and print outs from my December incidents show.......26 shocks from my icd over the last two weeks before christmas......I felt only ONE of these (maybe two)...
What is the setting on your icd? Mine is set for 41 joules, some makers have them set for 35. Quite phenominal that you did not feel anything.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » January 21st, 2015, 9:48 pm

ROBO Pop wrote:
What you feel and how you perceive the shock is based on too many variables to just make a blanket statement.
I agree.

There's so many different descriptions of what a shock feels like. For most I think the actual shock feels about the same (seeing a blue flash, being hit by something but no pain)...it's the surprise aspect (the not knowing where or when) of the shock itself that many have a hard time dealing with.

Helen, just feel grateful that your ICD did its job when needed and you're lucky that being shocked was not as bad as you expected right.
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » January 21st, 2015, 10:45 pm

dick wrote:
mykidsmom wrote:The run and print outs from my December incidents show.......26 shocks from my icd over the last two weeks before christmas......I felt only ONE of these (maybe two)...
What is the setting on your icd? Mine is set for 41 joules, some makers have them set for 35. Quite phenominal that you did not feel anything.

I did ask that and the ET said its set quite high....i also asked how long i would be out before it kicked in in the event of an sca cos it appeared not to kick in until a 58 seconds according to the er staff who were timing it but on the print out you could see it kicked in at 28 seconds, then again and again.....so it was the 4th blast that actually revived me in each case..........there was so much going on thro my stay though in the hospital im seeing both the et, the cardiologist and the surgeon all the first week in feb...and believe me i have a ton maybe a million questions..i think its incredible i didnt feel any of this stuff either....

Suzanne your right, i know this lol...but thing is....im feeling not so much scared as let down...cos i dont know now if i even trust myself to make any judgements on whats happening with my heart ever lol...it sorta pulled the rug of complacency out

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » January 22nd, 2015, 8:14 am

Ozchrissy wrote:Oh yes, that will be the celebration of the Century, well at least from this little corner of the world. Her fiance (getting married in Sept) even said to her it is a shame that they can't have a baby earlier for ME, dancee but it still hasn't changed the situation. She is so level headed and wants to get permanency with her teaching first, :( which could happen this year, as she gets 7 years maternity leave if she wants it, but the normal is 6 months, either half pay or full pay 3 months, so that is what the delay is. I can't blame her, life does go on beyond children, but just wish I didn't have to wait.

You know what though..you raised a really sensible girl...shes smart to wait for the permanency and it will be nice to have choices on the maternity leave and chrissie next year you could be a nana lol..were not pressuring lauren or anything ...really lol... this will be one exciting pregnancy for us all....x0x00x0x

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » January 22nd, 2015, 8:54 am

Not ever having a shock I am guessing that you may have had some that were at the lower settings. My unit issues a shock from 15 Jules thru 35 Jules. Depending on the event.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » January 22nd, 2015, 9:10 am

i think thats probably what happened freckles.....im seeing all drs on the 1st and 2nd feb...so you can bet i'll be going with a list of questions...its scary now not knowing if im being shocked...and honestly this is the first time i felt nervous about any of these heart issues.....

on christmas day the ER dr said my drivers license would be revoked...then he came back when they realized i was having scas and said nope it wouldnt.....then someone else came by and said yeppers its gone cos the icd fired so thats an automatic suspension......THEN when they discovered i had the blockage and needed the surgery they go..opps...nope your license isnt being revoked because when you get the bypass your issue will be resolved and the reason for the firing fixed.........and on the paperwork i got when i was released from the hospital says....no driving for 6-8 weeks.......so im a bit confused on this too......mind you im in no hurry to drive lol..specially with the kids.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne » January 22nd, 2015, 11:48 am

Helen, it's totally understandable that you would be nervous after all you've just been through! Its going to take time for you to feel at ease again.

I hope you're questions for the Doctors get answered and they help you to make some sense, understanding of it all.

Take it easy and again I wish you a good recovery. :hugg:
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

beachjay

Post by beachjay » January 22nd, 2015, 1:00 pm

Helen, lovely family !
Jacky in Texas

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.....Bertrand Russell

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » January 22nd, 2015, 8:26 pm

I'm with our fearless leader in this, when they divert you get a small shock, so that is what they may have meant. Oh you will have a big list for the docs.