For the Cousin of Patty in Illinois

2017 Forum topics and posts

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

slk123

For the Cousin of Patty in Illinois

Post by slk123 » April 24th, 2017, 11:55 am

Hi. wavhi

Patty shared your experience with my husband because she knows I experienced cardiac arrest, too. I hope you checked out this support group. Just reading through the posts can help. When something like this happens to us it's hard to get through it. Your family doesn't really understand what you went through and what you are going through now. And although the doctors are supposed to be there to help us, they, too don't understand.

We all have gone through tweaks with our medicines because they make us feel different and things we don't want to feel. I started on Metoprolol and Lisinopril. The metoprolol caused severe depression and anger, and the losartan caused me to cough so hard I would end up throwing up. After switching to new meds, carvedilol and losartan, I'm doing much better.

We have also gone through a number of emotions after diagnosis. Anger and depression were the big ones for me. I first tried to keep it in and not let the emotions come out, but I quickly found out that wasn't doing me any good. For me, if I let the emotions run their course, I was able to get through the hard times faster. Each day is going to be a little different, and you will have good days and bad days. Once I realized that would be my new normal, it has made life so much easier for me. I have accepted the new norm, even if I don't like it. And I now know my limitations. Sure I still slip up from time to time, but I recognize what has happened and take care of myself first.

Along with my electrical problems, I also have congestive heart failure. This pulls into play a new norm and a special diet of low sodium. I found out about this a year after my cardiac arrests and ended up going through all the emotions once again.

Even though I'm 2 1/2 years out from my cardiac arrests, I still get depressed, still get angry, and still struggle with the new normal. But my goal is to be here for my children. I'm only 48 and have 5 children ages 5, 8, 10, 11, and 13. They mean the world to me and I want to stay in their world for quite some time.

Hang in there. It does get better. And if you would like to talk, please let Patty know. She'll pass along my phone number to you.

:big-hug:
Best wishes,
Stacey

CHF Jan 2016
ICD Nov 2014
LBBB Nov 2014
Sudden cardiac arrest Nov 2014
Arrhythmia Aug 1982