New to ICD recommendations

2016 Forum topics and posts

Moderators: freckles1880, Suzanne, ~guin, Eric, Moderators

Mahamohanna

New to ICD recommendations

Post by Mahamohanna » November 16th, 2017, 12:12 pm

My husband is a heart patient and his cardiologist have been recommending to put ICD for a number of yeRs but he refuses and Scare!recently he also started to develop up normal arythmia VT and once again now his Rythem doctor is recommending the ICD....my husband still very much against it ! I wonder if there is a support group that meet in person? We live in Oakton Virginia close to D.C. Perhaps he can ask questions and get to see real people with ICD experience. He is not an internet guy and will not research anything ...I am very concerned

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Re: New to ICD recommendations

Post by mrag » November 17th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Hi and welcome. A tip, you might get more replies if you post in the "Main Forum 2017" rather than here. It's pretty common to be opposed to getting an ICD. It's also common to deny one has a bad heart. The catch of course is the alternative which can be rather quick and rather permanent. You should call around to the nearby hospitals. Usually the larger ones might have ICD support groups. In my area though, they only meet once or twice a year. This forum here is probably your best bet for support and advice.

An ICD is a relatively simple device. If it thinks you are about to die, it saves you. If it doesn't think that, it remains kind of hidden in your body. The "problem" with an ICD is the reason you need an ICD. Typically you have a bad heart and the best protection is an ICD. So why is the doctor recommending your husband get an ICD?
nonsense area-does anyone even read this area any more

Mahamohanna

Post by Mahamohanna » November 19th, 2017, 9:26 am

Thank you and you are right on ! His heart is weak only 30% due to a previous heart attack in 85 when he was only 45 years old .
He has been living like this for over 30 years.....few years ago his cardiologist start talking about the ICD to protect him without seeking any issues .four years ago my husband suffered a mini strok and the doctor recommended to implants a loop recorder to monitor and look for a possible AFib to prevent a bigger stroke . They start seeing the abnormal heart Rythem but not AFib most and infrequently coming from the Atrium until just last month they saw an episode of 30 coming from the VT that when his other doctor started to also recommend the ICD ....my husband needs to make the decision but he thinks the episodes his feeling are not strong and he definitely scared about wires getting attached to his weak heart ! Hmmmmmm

SpruceSniper

Post by SpruceSniper » Today, 5:56 am

I'm wondering the same as Mrag. You describe heart attacks, which as I'm aware are different than arrhythmia, as the reason cited by the doc for getting the device. An ICD is a permanent change as well as death. So meds are an option. Be careful that you get as much info as you can. I would have to pull the study up again, but if it's ARVD that he starts talking about, beware. I've read both Johns-Hopkins reports as well as Mayo Clinic reports indicating a second opinion diagnosis resulted in a change of opinion in 3 of 5 and >80% of ARVD cases, respectively. That in mind, we aren't doctors here, just folks with a history, so the bias from us could be misaligned. There is certainly a TON of support the folks here will give you-but be prepared for unconventional demonstration of that, and beware the nature of our advocacy, I personally am very firmly against an ICD unless there are regular, verifiable instances by which life can be preserved through it's presence-that is a real danger to his health as opposed to the device being installed as an insurance policy that may or may not ever be used, but your angle may differ. Good luck, welcome, and feel free to PM me for any questions further.