OT KNEES

2016 Forum topics and posts

Moderators: freckles1880, Suzanne, ~guin, Eric, Moderators

Ozchrissy

Re: OT KNEES

Post by Ozchrissy » January 11th, 2017, 4:50 am

I am sorry you are in pain, but I am hopeful that it will ease over time. I don't know if you have been advised this, but I find that the opium based pain meds do only just mask the pain but if you add a couple of paracetamol tablets to the mix, you can really notice a difference. I have had some major procedures and I know I have always hung out for the paracetamol when the 4 hours were up, even when I was on IV pain relief, in Hospital including Intensive Care.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » January 11th, 2017, 8:16 am

I agree that some of the pain meds really only mask the issue. A good nights sleep is important for all of us. I would see if the rehab people have any ideas. They work with many with the same issues. I hope the pain does resolve soon.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

Leedur

Post by Leedur » January 19th, 2017, 12:11 am

Latest knee report. 4 weeks post total knee replacement today. Had breathing difficulty Sunday night and ended up in ER for 4 hrs Monday to rule out blood clots. At Cardiologist today and we decided it was likely due to HF. I hadn't taken Lasix for about 6 months now without problems but started Monday for a few days and seem okay. I am unable to sleep due to just enough knee pain and swelling and I always manage to roll into a painful position that wakes me. Took some Tylenol PM Friday night and it didn't take affect until after I had a cup of coffee Saturday morning.....crashed for about 4 hrs. Probably need to do again. In 2nd week of rehab, mostly stretching swollen and extremely stiff knee. They assure me it will get better soon. I get by well in the daytime but have grown to hate nighttime. Know I sound like a wimp.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » January 19th, 2017, 8:38 am

You noted you have not taken lasix in weeks. Do you have an issue with swelling in the feet/ankles? With all my issue these last few weeks I swelled like a balloon. A few days on lasix and I got back to normal.

Good luck on your rehab. You should be better soon.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

DebW

Post by DebW » January 19th, 2017, 8:57 am

It has to be hard when you don't sleep at night. I hope you get some sleep without pain soon. When I had my knee replaced, my doctor told me it would take a whole year to feel like normal again. And it did take that long. I used my kryo cuff a lot to help the swelling. Did they give you one of those?

Leedur

Post by Leedur » January 19th, 2017, 4:58 pm

DebW... They gave me a Breg polar care cube which pumps ice cold water through cuff....assume similar to what you had. I used first 2 weeks then switched to ice packs from freezer. Bob....haven't had much sign of fluid retention for last several months so I haven't taken Lasix. When I last took it believe it may have caused some dehydration resulting in leg cramps. Damn if I do and damn if I don't. For now I'm taking again.

jeb

Post by jeb » January 19th, 2017, 5:20 pm

Leedur, the swelling is completely normal. So is numbness around the incision. I am four months out and only recently have been without any swelling in my leg or ankle. I have discovered that placing a pillow between your legs at night (if, like me, you are a side sleeper) greatly helps with the pain. I took an old pillow, cut it in half, sewed up the opening, and it is just the right size.

Keep moving. If you have a pool you can get to (once your surgeon clears you) go water walk. I found that my recovery exceeded expectations because I got on the stationary bike (at the gym) and started exercising in the pool. Just a thought.
Janet
Janet

Brugada Syndrome; Boston Scientific Incepta (third device implanted 5/27/15); Guidant Leads

Leedur

Post by Leedur » January 19th, 2017, 10:23 pm

Jeb......like you, I often sleep on my left side and use pillow between knees. It's the closest to no pain position I've found. Have been going to my gym between PT just to get some feeling of normalcy and we have indoor pool that I plan to take your advice on soon as doctor thinks I'm past danger of infection. There are no stitches to be removed as they glued me together and I think that will be a plus. Guess most of what I've learned from others is the swelling and pain is normal.

The only comparison I had prior to surgery was a classmate of 50years ago that had both his done last spring and summer. He did great, same Doctor, etc with no swelling and only took pain meds 1 week. He even loaned me a home therapy peddle device and a cane. Guess I was expecting a similar experience. Was not to be. They had scheduled me for 2nd knee this April....I had to tell them "maybe next year". Don't think I can continue or start this over anytime soon. Thanks.

Leedur

Post by Leedur » February 3rd, 2017, 9:30 pm

Latest with knee replacement recovery. It's been 6 weeks. Missed sleep 2 nights early this week due to muscle spasms. Am talking 2 meds that are supposed to prevent this but haven't. Only happens at the exact moment I totally relax to fall asleep.....then ZAP. My thigh muscle contracts causing me to kick out. No way I could go to sleep.

With the breathing problems I had 2 weeks ago and Lasix which solved this, I started thinking I could be mildly dehydrated. Since Wed. I have increased water intake double and no problems other than more trips to bathroom at night. Sure hope this is the solution. Also some extra potassium. Believe there is a fine line between too much and not enough fluids for us with CHF.

In 4th week of rehab and all is good, range of motion improved and treadmill has given back a fair walk stride. Still debating the other knee scheduled for April.....leaning in the go direction at the moment and I have 2 weeks to decide for sure.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » February 4th, 2017, 8:48 am

Glad most seems to be going better for you. I was taking a potassium pill when I was on the lasix also. It was prescribed by the cardiologist. I also ate a banana every day and still do.
Hope you continue to get better.

wavhi
Bob

Leedur

Post by Leedur » February 16th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Last time I plan to update knee surgery experience. 8 weeks post....last rehab session today but plan to continue at gym. All is well with some minor swelling still....heard it could last several months. My spasms I believe were caused by too much thigh muscle exercise (was doing probably 300 leg extensions 3 times weekly). Told PT two weeks ago that I needed to discontinue for a while and have had no spasms or lost sleep since. Still scheduled other knee for April. Plan to do exercise to build up THIGH in advance as I was told they actually cut into this muscle during surgery.

Leedur

Post by Leedur » May 15th, 2017, 5:43 pm

Had total joint replacement on 2nd knee last week. This is almost 5 months after the first one. Seems to be going better than last time as I have much more range of motion. Pain and swelling are about same as before. Pain controlled with Percoset. Have been sure to stay hydrated and eating lots of nuts, raisins, oatmeal.......to keep all systems working properly. Haven't measured yet but think I should be about an inch taller with the straightened legs.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » May 16th, 2017, 5:38 am

I am happy that the new knee is not causing you the issues as before. Now you just need to heal and get back to more of your old "taller" self.

wavhi
Bob