Hoping someone knows the answer

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

freckles1880

Re: Hoping someone knows the answer

Post by freckles1880 » January 9th, 2015, 6:44 pm

Just take it easy at home until you are feeling better. I also am very leery about your magnet. Make sure you need it before you actually use it. I hope they gave you very good instructions on how and when to do so.

I really do pray things will start improving for you very soon.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

DovenaDBickford

Post by DovenaDBickford » January 10th, 2015, 12:27 am

Thx Freckles! I'm sorry my post was so hard to read. I'm still in ICU fRom surgery errors. Apparently I didn't let them turn on (or test) the new wires/ICD during the procedure Wed morn. Thur morning the medtronic rep came & I finally allowed him to power the unit up. A bit later he brought a magnet but it coincided with feeling even sicker with my lungs. In fear, I didn't let go of the magnet until the CT scan & tubing ystd evening. So like I said, I'm still in ICU. Had an issue with ICD beeps about 2 hrs ago so I'm back to keeping magnet @ fingertips. Grateful you're here's#
Tetralogy of Fallot (Blue Baby) @ Birth
Torsades de Pointes
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Marfan Syndrome
Severe Pectus Excavatum
Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia
Ablation 1999/00
Ventricular Tachy
Long QT Syndrome
ICD: Medtronic
"Storm" of 16 appropriate in Aug 2012
"Storm" of 15 inappropriate Dec '14 (wires?)
multiple single shocks, all appropriate
Heart Attacks - the first at age 11 (I'm 50)
High BP

steinway379

Post by steinway379 » January 12th, 2015, 10:00 pm

DovenaDBickford wrote:Does anyone know what happens if one of us ICD patientswhere to get electrocuted by a home outlet? I'm pretty sure that's what happened and resulted in 15 rapid fire shocks until my battery went dead. I've tried to look online to see if there's any information, but I haven't found anything. Admit my brain is still a little scrambled from the repeated shocks so maybe my research skills aren't very good. Would really appreciate hearing from anyone even if its just to say hello. Thank you. P.S. I didn't know how to make the letters smaller so if they're great big, I'm sorry

to answer your question i d have to see strips of the shocks u received. I have seen 60Hz picked up by icd lead that resulted in shocks. Also i ve seen poorly grounded outlets (usually swimming pool lighting fixture that were NOT grounded causing shocks.

Hope that helps

Leah

Post by Leah » January 16th, 2015, 11:09 pm

Wow!!!! What a story. Are you okay now? Out of the ICU? Home yet?

juicyb

Post by juicyb » January 17th, 2015, 5:26 pm

What an awful experience! I hope your lung has healed and that you're feeling a bit better both physically and emotionally now. Please follow up if you can with counseling for your PTSD. Sending love and positive energy!

Julia

Joseph

Post by Joseph » January 20th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Dovena,

Found this site, which is new to me:

http://www.pacemakerclub.com/public/jpa ... content.do

and noted that person(s) have received outside electrical shock which resulted in ICD doing it's job.
I know it's confusing, frustrating, etc. ... but the ICD has kept you alive and hopefully well. As far
as damage to the battery ... I wonder how you knew the ICD was "done, fried, cooked, out of juice,
etc.".

Sorry I can't be of any other help. Take care and please see you electrophysiologist ASAP.

Joseph

kristinzzz

Post by kristinzzz » January 21st, 2015, 6:49 am

Dovena,

I just read through your postings. I am so sorry for your experiences. You have been through so much and have also been very brave and courageous!!

How are you doing? I truly hope things have gotten a bit better.
Sending you prayers and hugs! Please update us when you can.

:hugg:

dancehearts Kristin
ICD Medtronic Implanted October 2005
2nd ICD Medtronic Protecta Implanted June 2012 (Fidelis Lead removed/fractured)
3rd ICD ST JUDE implanted in April 2018
10 Shock Storm/ Feb. 2008
Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy

Tommy D

Post by Tommy D » February 15th, 2015, 8:06 pm

This is where we are alike I'm sure you are a type A personality maybe not ...I started a new job was there for 6 weeks this is a Monday morning I call out for the day my wife all over me ..you just started this job ..whatever she went about what she had to do that day. When she came home asked me if I felt better and then I said I didn't. She then asked if I want to go to the hospital ...and I was on the fence about so we went I knew they were gonna keep me over night ..well turns out I had 103.5 fever so they weren't letting me go anywhere... but they didn't have a room yet. Finally a room came available about 2 hours later as they are checking me into the room I VT over 300 BPM off the chart
a crash tem came in and Paddled me back to life.

I've had other instances with my ICD trimming bushes and it firing 10 time in 15 min while I'm on the phone with 911. 2 week later in the hospital again for what they called a study on my electrical of my heart ..I was on the table for 10 hours as the did 14 ablations to me I could lift either arm for weeks had to use one to lift the other hand to eat LOL funny now wasn't then. OK I was doing some physical work and that might have been what set it off ...for sure it did.. So I started to take it easy. Just 2 weeks before Christmas this past year I wanted to do something that was fun for me. I was doing a DJ thing o line sitting in front of my computer and I have a VT in the middle of a show my ICD fired once.... I grab the phone and said to my self lets hope that all it is and I'll call my doctor then. Sure my name is Tom it fires again while I'm spinning I'm calling 911 but it got me back to rhythm I ha d to stop my show ...even though I was feeling fine paramedics came I was out side wait and like well guys let go you going take me so lets go then walk to the truck they made me get in the gurney ok procedure spent another day in the hospital. No I'm so paranoid of this going off I walked around with a HR monitor on 27/7 for 2-3 weeks an no my day are filled with nothing but doctors appt. all the way out till June. Oh yes I sorry to bore all of you with my story but I just want you to really know how your life changes and for me it's a drastic change ...to look at me you would thing I'm a Bouncer and could pull a ha house down by myself..... if I did and I could ..I'd be dead immediately following They say my next step is a VAD ...(which will never happen) or a Heart Transplant once I get through this evaluation this week to get me on the list. So I just have to say things can always be worse.

Tommy D

Tommy D

Post by Tommy D » February 16th, 2015, 8:44 pm

stick with it your a fighter and all will prevail send me a pm and we can talk more