My Arrhythmia diary.

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

Colin Pearson

Re: My Arrhythmia diary.

Post by Colin Pearson » March 21st, 2016, 3:46 pm

Six months late, but thanks for the reply David.

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » March 21st, 2016, 4:04 pm

Another update, approx six months from the last one.

Today I went to the hospital to have the ICD read and the leads tested.

Some interesting results...

No activity, zilch, nothing, fantastic news. I thought there would have been something logged.

Despite having had the ICD for over two and a half years, received three shocks from it as well as some pacing here and there in the early days before they sorted out the medication, it still shows as 10.5 years battery life remaining. I think the battery meters must be like petrol gauges in cars, they show full for ages and then when they start to move, they move quickly with the last quarter of a tank going very quickly.

And then it turned to the lead tests, the bit where they use the ICD to pace your heart, I really bloody hate that and never get used to it. Thankfully it doesn't last long but it is something I dislike more than anything but if it wasn't checked there is no knowing that the ICD would do it's thing if and when the time comes.

All good then.

Well no.

As usual, the visit was short on small talk and any kind of re-assurance.

Despite having the green light and all systems go, I still quite often suffer quite debilitating anxiety. Never mind, at least the drugs are working stopping my heart trying to kill me and if it does I have an ICD with 10.5 years battery life remaining that will do its best to stop the my heart playing its games if the drugs fail.

That was the interrogation, I've got an appointment with the Consultant in a months time, you know, one of those surreal meetings where most communication is done by the raising of eyebrows. I'll update again soon after.

Some will wonder why on earth I update this thread at all but I think it important to show that it isn't all doom and gloom despite the background anxiety and that life does go on after an SCA and having an ICD fitted.

Before I go...

I set myself a target of cycling 2,000 miles in the calendar year of 2015, that is a average of 5.48 miles each and every day of the year or 38 miles a week or 166 miles a month.

I achieved a total of 2,154 miles and was very pleased with that effort, not a bad show considering the huge dose of beta blockers I take. This year I'm aiming to do only 1,000 miles.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » March 21st, 2016, 5:14 pm

:congratulations: on beating your goal with the bike.
On the battery "life" I posted a while back about how long is a battery "expected" to go. At almost 7 years and no shocks nor pacing I was down to 2.66 then in February, at 7 years it was 2.64 last week it is now at 2.62 plus a few 10,000th so it has not yet beeped. Last year it went down .27 volts then only .04 since.
I now believe they last until they decide to give up the ship. I think mine is sinking.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

David882

Post by David882 » March 22nd, 2016, 8:52 pm

Colin:
Every 6 months is about all most can tolerate of me anyway

Glad you are well.

Go enjoy the biking.

Post some of your photos.

If you need a hobby, annoy Insync. golf2
With Respect,
David

11 Sept 2012 / Idiopathic Ventricular Fibrillation
At about 2AM I started storming at home, and in the ambulance, and in the ER.
Sometimes I restated and sometimes I had to be defibrillated.
A number of times I went into arrest and stopped breathing.
External defibrillation count exceeded 18 and at some point the team induced a coma.
24 hours later I was revived and have never had another event.
13 Sept 2012 / Medtronic ICD was implanted.
My diagnosis is still idiopathic.

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » April 28th, 2016, 10:48 am

Had the ICD read a little over a month ago, today it was time to see the doctor and have another read.

The appointment was at 11.30am, I got seen at 1.30pm, what is two hours anyway.

The good news is no activity recorded and still at 10.5 years battery. The drugs are continuing to drug.

Well chuffed.

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » May 23rd, 2016, 9:59 am

A non heart related entry but still nice and gory.

So....

Friday evening I was there enlarging a hole on the roof of my car so as to enable me to fit a soopa doopa aerial which would allow me to pick up (DAB) Digital Radio signals. I choose to run an old car so these type of upgrades I do to keep 'with it'.

I was using one of those dremmel type multi tools to do the job, the job being to enlarge what was a 15mm square hole to a 20mm diamter round one for the new aerial.

Back in 1991 or maybe 92 I had two occurances and thought I'd learnt my lession about eye protection. I had, but last Friday I was wearing safety glasses rather than goggles.

I finished off and sat in the car tuning the new radio in and beholding the crystal clear digital sound, packed the tools away and went indoors.

An hour or so later my left eye felt a bit itchy and was watery. I compained to the Wife who said "wash it out, there is some eye wash in the downstairs bathroom", so I did but no change. Took the dog out and it was still the same. Saturday it was the same but my eye was badly bloodshot and watery. Sunday, still the same but it was beginning to hurt. I kept washing it out and still it hurt.

Then on Sunday evening I decided that maybe I'd got something in it even though it didn't feel the same as when I did back in the early 90's, twice.

This morning, Monday morning, woke up in agony, daylight was painful even so off I went to the hospital. I didn't have to wait long to be seen.

"You have got a chunk of metal in your eyeball"
"Really?"
"Yes, and I don't know how you have managed to last the whole weekend without being seen"
"Oh...."

I knew the drill having had this done before....

Some stinging eye drops and...
"Keep still, very still and look ahead"
Slowly watching the needle approach my eyeball and there was nothing I would have done to stop it.
A few moments of digging around my eyeball with the needle and then...
"Got it!"

All over in a matter of moments but it still makes me all squeemish and that is why I thought I'd share the experience.

The chunk of metal is very tiny indeed and for such a small thing, the agony it caused.

The moral is, use proper eye protection when grinding metal !

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » May 23rd, 2016, 10:28 am

I'd say the moral is to hire a young kid to do the job!
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » October 31st, 2016, 10:21 am

Thanks Ron.

So....

Another six months, time flies doesn't it.

Another check up and interrogation of the ICD. Good news, nothing recorded, nothing at all, it really looks like the drugs are doing their stuff very well and so they should. I'm on some fairly hefty doses of a beta and an anti arrhythmic which would tranquilise an elephant. This means my maximum heart rate is limited to about 115bpm which can make hill climbing whilst on the bike quite slow.

Another thing, the battery life reading has gone down for the first time in about two years. It had shown 10.5 years remaining for what must be the last four interrogations but now is showing 10 years. And there was me hoping it would last forever.

This is another rather mundane update compared to what some go through on here but I feel it important to try and put forward some balance and show that it isn't all doom and gloom. I did have some very dark days at the start of all this where I kept dropping dead (as you do) out of the blue but I'm currently in a place where I didn't think I would be if you'd asked me three years ago. That place is feeling relatively normal and most importantly not obsessing with what my heart may or may not do all the time. I suffer from the odd bout of anxiety but have come a long way.

It isn't all doom and gloom !

:British:

:pumpkin:

DebW

Post by DebW » November 2nd, 2016, 4:55 pm

Great news Colin. I read some of what you went thru, wow, what a ride you were on. Happy to hear things are looking up for you
hearthands

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » November 3rd, 2016, 11:15 am

Thanks Deb,

I've been through nothing compared to many on here.

The important thing is that seemingly I'm ok and am relatively normal. That could be argued though.

juicyb

Post by juicyb » November 4th, 2016, 6:09 am

Hey Colin,

Interesting to look back over your progression as you've acclimated to your "new normal." Glad to see you're adjusting and that the meds are keeping things in control.

My best wishes to you,

Julia

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » April 26th, 2017, 6:25 am

Well, it was nice while it lasted.

Two days before the next routine checkup...

Out of the blue and for no apparent reason double 41 joule tapped by the ICD.

Currently in hospital on amiodarone on top of my usual pills whilst they figure things out.

Here in the UK an event(s) like this will usually mean a two driving ban, which actually is the least of my worries right now.

Feeling low, lost and unsure.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » April 26th, 2017, 7:43 am

I don't know what o say other than I am sorry it happened to you. I do pray that they can find out why you had the shocks.

Hang in there, at least the unit kept you up (or in bed) and running.
hearthands

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

4EverHopeful

Post by 4EverHopeful » April 26th, 2017, 11:14 am

Colin so sorry it's happened to you again, hope they can find a reason quickly and that you're back home soon! Glad your unit was there to provide therapy and that you are still here with us:)
:hugg:
Phyllis

God's prescription for the heart:
O LORD, You have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit
down or stand up. You know my every thought when far away. You chart the path ahead of me
and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment You know where I am.
Psalm 139:1-3

Non-ischemic DCM 09/11
PVCs, LBBB, leaky mitral valve
St Judes CRT-D (Bubba) 02/12; (Bubba II) 09/17
EF 20% 09/11; 25% 07/12; 35% 02/16
Failed PVC Ablation 11/12
Coreg, Zestril, Asprin, Aldactone, Lasix, Zocor, Levothroid
viewtopic.php?p=87649#p87649

Grammaram

Post by Grammaram » April 26th, 2017, 2:09 pm

So sorry you have to go through this :sick032: So glad that your little angel did its job! Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Margaret wavhi
Congenital Heart Disease - Tetralogy of Fallot - repaired Sept. 1966
Medtronic Evera S DR Implanted May 22,2014