My Arrhythmia diary.

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

David882

Re: My Arrhythmia diary.

Post by David882 » October 20th, 2014, 5:43 pm

i suspect you are faster than you think...the new streamlined outfit has surly reduced your Reynolds number.
With Respect,
David

11 Sept 2012 / Idiopathic Ventricular Fibrillation
At about 2AM I started storming at home, and in the ambulance, and in the ER.
Sometimes I restated and sometimes I had to be defibrillated.
A number of times I went into arrest and stopped breathing.
External defibrillation count exceeded 18 and at some point the team induced a coma.
24 hours later I was revived and have never had another event.
13 Sept 2012 / Medtronic ICD was implanted.
My diagnosis is still idiopathic.

Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay » October 20th, 2014, 11:43 pm

Glad to hear you had a good week and that you are biking along.
CHF, Cardiomyopathy and LBBB
EF 20%
St. Jude Bi Vent ICD CRT implanted September 9, 2011
7 shock storm inappropriate due to dislodged lead
damaged lead removed and replaced Sept 26, 2011
EF improved to 50% in December 2012
Carvedilol 12.5 mg 2x
Ramipril 5 mg 2x

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » October 21st, 2014, 3:15 am

No matter how deep the manure, roses will still grow
Really? Another nugget of knowledge to be absorbed.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » November 1st, 2014, 1:22 pm

Another NON doom or gloom update which I think are as important as the serious stuff.

I've been doing weekly uploads since my last hospitalisation in early October and the cardio team seem to be reasonably happy with significant decrease in erroneous and unwanted heart mis-behavior. Good stuff, although I've not spoken to the hospital about the upload I did yesterday I'm sure things are still quiet. We all know when our hearts have been dicking about and mine seems to be not doing so. I also attended the last councilling session yesterday where we mutually agree that I wasn't really getting any benefit from it.

Onto my latest obsession, cycling. I'm riding a lot these days as a hobby and out of necessity as I am medically banned from driving. I treated myself last week and purchased a new road bike. A super fast dream machine but with added low gears to enable me to get up the hills as well as the high gears for looning it along whenever I can. It is amazing how the technology has come along on modern bikes. On the racers I grew up with you had to reach down onto the downtube to change gear by pulling or pushing a lever. On this new one the gear change is integrated into the brake levers and all that is needed is a quick flick of the lever to change gear. I've kitted the bike out with a few bags for carrying tools and and a spare inner tube in one bag and room for the house keys, mobile phone, ICD card and wallet in the other. Most importantly though two big water bottles so I can keep hydrated.

Here is the beasty below;

They say there are lies and statistics and damned lies and damned statistics, well actually I've never heard anyone say that but here are some of mine. These are since me getting a GPS capable cycle computer a few months ago. I think I'm doing quite well.

Distance 422.2 mi
Time 42h 5m
Elev Gain 10,502 ft
Rides 74
Biggest Ride 27.6 mi
Biggest Climb 349 ft

This is since the 26th of August 2014 when I got the GPS computer.

Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay » November 1st, 2014, 2:28 pm

Looks like great fun. So glad you are able to do all of this biking. Interesting seat design.
I have an exercise bike in my living room...it sits there...and sits there. Everyone needs an exercise bike in the living room that they never use.
EF 20%
Carvedilol 12.5 mg 2x
Ramipril 5 mg 2x

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » November 1st, 2014, 4:32 pm

Mary Kay wrote:Looks like great fun. So glad you are able to do all of this biking. Interesting seat design.
I have an exercise bike in my living room...it sits there...and sits there. Everyone needs an exercise bike in the living room that they never use.
They have their uses!

TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » November 1st, 2014, 4:43 pm

Mary Kay wrote:Looks like great fun. So glad you are able to do all of this biking. Interesting seat design.
That's why I like our treadmill. I can turn it on at 3 miles per hour, watch a baseball or football game and get 10 miles or so on the machine. I even get of my chair every so often to make sure it's still running. nononono nononono

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay » November 1st, 2014, 5:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Ron.
Mine is actually facing the TV.
EF 20%
Carvedilol 12.5 mg 2x
Ramipril 5 mg 2x

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » November 1st, 2014, 5:49 pm

Oh you guys have no idea (well maybe some of you do) how good you are for my soul and psych. I woke up this morning with the doom and gloom (125 ml bile overnight) and really feeling angry, scared, depressed and came on here. Just started reading Colin's story and the uplifting responses since the beginning of October and I feel better. Had a cry over insync's response, but because it hit so close to home. Thank you Colin for starting this thread, it is truly an inspiration and to our very special members for your inspirational support.

:hugg: :hugg: :hugg:
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » November 2nd, 2014, 8:44 am

Glad it has helped someone Chrissy.

I think it is important to report and talk about the positives to offer some balance to the negatives.

I'm cycling between 50 and 60 miles a week on a road to nowhere but I don't care, the journey is fantastic.

I cannot extol the virtues of exercise enough. I know a lot of you are very limited and would never dream of getting on a bike, let alone one where you would describe the saddle as being like a razor blade but even a short walk round the block can do wonders.

A dog helps enormously as well. Most of my bike rides are in on farm tracks or in the woods with the dog trotting along side. Dogs don't care if you are walking just round the block or going a 10 mile ride, they like it whatever and having one means you never need an excuse not to go out every day.

InSync

Post by InSync » November 2nd, 2014, 2:07 pm

freckles1880 wrote:That's why I like our treadmill. I can turn it on at 3 miles per hour, watch a baseball or football game and get 10 miles or so on the machine. I even get of my chair every so often to make sure it's still running.
hahahhahahaha, I'm stealing that one.....

Colin, you really are making the most of your good times! I still have a Terry bike, proportioned for smaller women, that I bought years ago and rode quite a lot. I started to lose interest after completing a ride called The Assault on Mt. Mitchell. The downhill scared me senseless. If I had been able to stop the bike, I would have tossed it over the side and walked down. I enjoy your updates. Keep them coming!
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » November 5th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Thanks all,

Bonfire night here in the UK, a bit like your Independence day in the US except it is dark and cold and to be honest a bit shit.

23 mile bike ride ride today after getting off the phone from the hospital and discussing my latest upload. Not a peep for almost two weeks now recorded and the previous recorded event was a four beat run of VT, not a run but a salvo as they call them.

Ovens.

I don't know what everyone else does around the world in fact I've no idea even what other people do here in England or even what my next door neighbors do. We, leave the oven for ages and use it simply to cook with. Eventually one of us gives in and decides that it is rotten filthy dirty and that is always me. Perhaps the Wife thinks the same but is afraid to admit it.

So, I'm taking a break from cleaning the oven right now, I cooked dinner tonight and could no longer stand the sight of it in the sate it was in. A good spray of Mr Muscle oven cleaner and left to soak in and do its magic. Mr Muscle is scary stuff, over the years there have been all sorts of reports in consumer TV programs about how toxic it is, usually with a story about how it melted some womans arms down to the bone. Proper toxic stuff and probably banned in the US. I like a bit of added danger and don't even wear gloves!

The hardest part is always scraping the carbon sticky goo off of the metal grilled oven shelves. A wood chisel from the toolbox takes care of that.

What, when and how do you deal with your ovens? Do you call in a 'man' and pay him or do you get stuck in with toxic chemicals like me?

Anyway best back to it, lots of brownie points to be earned from the Wife.

David882

Post by David882 » November 5th, 2014, 7:45 pm

Colin:

i did not know such a company existed:
http://www.ovencleaningking.co.uk/Gallery.html

We have a self cleaning oven...

Of course you could just watch an episode of hoarders and suddenly the oven would look great.
With Respect,
David

11 Sept 2012 / Idiopathic Ventricular Fibrillation
At about 2AM I started storming at home, and in the ambulance, and in the ER.
Sometimes I restated and sometimes I had to be defibrillated.
A number of times I went into arrest and stopped breathing.
External defibrillation count exceeded 18 and at some point the team induced a coma.
24 hours later I was revived and have never had another event.
13 Sept 2012 / Medtronic ICD was implanted.
My diagnosis is still idiopathic.

InSync

Post by InSync » November 5th, 2014, 8:22 pm

I have a service. I hope they don't send a man. There were a lot of questions the last time a man's head was in my oven.....
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » November 5th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Blimey it costs a lot to get a man in!

Sync, if I was drinking tea when I read that, I would have spat it over the keyboard!