Re: Amiodarone or Mexiletine

Post by Colin Pearson » August 20th, 2014, 7:00 am

Libra,

That is a good news story, thank you.

bigtom68

Post by bigtom68 » August 20th, 2014, 6:01 pm

Colin,

I was on Amio also, bad stuff. However if you look up iodine therapy (hate that word therapy,LOL) you will find that Amino is a toxic form of iodine. Pharma's form. If like everyone else you have stopped salt intake then you as well as 86% of people are deficenct(sp?) in iodine. I am not a doctor but I'll bet you can start an iodine supplement with no side effects and see some improvements. The Japanese eat a lot of Kelp and are in better health than us Westerners. Their Iodine levels are alot higher than most others. Plus with the incoming radiation from Fukishima this will help. I also read where you can expect some weight loss. I ask everyone on this site to look up "Iodine Therapy" (hate that word). Anyway good luck with your predicament, TAKE CARE ALL!!!!!
Tom
Tom

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » August 22nd, 2014, 11:46 am

Tom,

Very interesting stuff. I'll read up on that.

Still no news for me on this, the Doctor is on holiday !

Ryan65

Post by Ryan65 » August 27th, 2014, 9:38 pm

I am actually on both Amio and Mexiletine. i was in the hospital april of 2013 after receiving 6 shocks. the previous april I received 21 shocks and after the 21 they started me on the mexiletine. then after last Aprils episode they added the Amio and did a ventricular ablation which seems to have been succesful because I have been over a year V Tach free after leaving the hospital.
my heart however apparently didn't like being messed with I had a lot of fluid around my heart which caused a lot of V Tach that they were having a very hard time controlling, and i ended up on a vent for three days and was afraid that i was never coming home, it was really scary, especially for my family. i was of course heavily sedated and they were having a hard time with my bp due to that, i guess i am very lucky that i made it through that. even though it was really scary i would do it again if it meant getting the results i did. I am doing great, but i am having some memory and mental issues from the Amio, so the side effects do kinda suck. i just make sure to get my blood drawn regularly and so far my numbers are looking good. I was surprised the kept me on the mexiletine with the Amio
Please forgive my rambling on, i am not so good at writing these posts and probably went on way more than I should have. I also wanted to say i am a little jealous of everyone who only gets one shock at a time! LOL

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » August 28th, 2014, 6:54 am

Thanks Ryan,

That is another good news story sort of.

You have been through a hell of a lot and make my issues seem to be nothing in comparison. I'm glad you are still with us.

Chrisg

Post by Chrisg » August 29th, 2014, 5:54 am

Ryan65 wrote:I am actually on both Amio and Mexiletine.
................receiving 6 shocks. the previous april I received 21 shocks
i am a little jealous of everyone who only gets one shock at a time! LOL
Great post Ryan
Great to know you can could tolerate both Amio and Mexiletine at the same time.

You were indeed unfortunate to have to endure such an amount of torture by shocking before they could help you. Barbaric.
I only hope you were asleep or "out of it" when you were shocked.

Good to hear you are stabilised and hopefully the ablation worked.

Chris

:snoball:
Idiopathic Ventricular Tachycardia
1st Medtronic ICD Dec 07; 2nd August 09; 3rd on right side Sept, 2011
14 Shock Storm July 09; 5 days induced coma
Sprint Fidelis Lead and ICD Explanted July 09
3 Ventricle Ablations July 2009
Lead Erosion; Leads and ICD Explanted August 2011
Medtronic ICD Re-implanted Right side Sept, 2011
Fractured Lead ; Lead left in and new Medtronic Lead and ICD implanted August 2017
Drugs: Mexiletine .50mg 2 daily; Metoprolol .25mg 2 daily. Omacor

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » April 28th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Thank you all again everyone.

Almost three years after starting this thread, it has happened, I'm now on Amio.

The Flecainide did a gallant job but earlier this week the gremlins escaped and I suffered x2 VF arrests about 14 hours apart both with full power 41 joule shocks to bring me back.

I'm currently on a 600mg loading dose for a week which will drop to 400mg then to 200mg.

I'll update on my adventures as and when.