A few questions

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

ibwagone1

A few questions

Post by ibwagone1 » November 17th, 2014, 9:05 am

I know everyone is different but is there a "common" problem that might arise after implant of the device? Does anyone in the group hike long distances with a backpack and if so, is it irritating the area of the implant and how did you overcome this obstacle? Also over time can you put some weight on your chest as I sleep on my stomach and there are a couple activities I do where I am in the prone position(no dirty thoughts please!) The closer I get to the date of surgery the more questions I seem to have and some general nervousness and just want to get it over with! Thanks!

Colin Pearson

Re: A few questions

Post by Colin Pearson » November 17th, 2014, 9:50 am

First of all, if you are due to get one, don't be nervous. Every single new person who posts on here with pre-implant nerves, which are quite natural, comes back soon after and says it was a doddle. You will be fine and after the initial healing period you will quickly notice it less and less.

As for the backpacking, never did really long distances but after I got mine I switched to cycling in a big way. Panniers on the bike instead of a backpack helps a lot. The scenery also changes a little bit faster and of course going downhill is very pleasant on a bike.

Physically, mine doesn't impede in anything I do. I'm relatively young at 43 and am very active doing all sorts of stuff you probably shouldn't do with an ICD. It never causes a problem.

You will be fine and most likely will find the ICD causes no problems in your day to day activities unless they are really extreme.

notvaporlocked

Post by notvaporlocked » November 17th, 2014, 10:33 am

I cannot address the backpack question but can say that my ICD does not stop me from doing anything I want to do and I am very active. I sleep any way I want, left side, front, whatever and do a lot of upper body physical work on our ranch. I have not found anything the ICD itself keeps me from doing.

The key is to let yourself heal. Don't rush things and keep us posted.

Terry
Man Prayer
I'm a man.... But I can change.... If I have to.... I guess.

Red Green Show

Loving with all your heart is the only way to love somebody, Otherwise its not worth all the trouble!
Cary Grant

May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us - may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping. (From the movie, Keeping the Faith)

Medtronic Protecta XT (Second ICD), 3 leads (1 unhooked Fidelis) Sept 27, 2006, Feb 12, 2013

3 V-fib therapies. It works, I'm still here.

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » November 17th, 2014, 12:25 pm

I also do not do backpacking but I have an issue with my seat belt. For that I issue purchased a lambs wool cover that goes over the seat belt and is a cushion for my ICD area.
It does not change the safety value of the seat belt and I am sure a similar pad would work for a back pack.

These are the type of questions many have. Just keep them coming.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » November 17th, 2014, 1:40 pm

On backpacking, first a few technical medical questions. What's your gender? Are you skinny?

As for "common" problems, other than it seems a few here have dribbled out precious IQ points, I would say thinking too much about the ICD is a big one.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

David882

Post by David882 » November 17th, 2014, 7:09 pm

If you need an ICD and don't have it; you should understand your odds of surviving a sudden cardiac arrest are rather small without one.

Your biggest concern should be making sure you understand and follow the doctors directions.

Once you get the implant remember; :armdown: until you are cleared to lift it up by the doctor.
Last edited by David882 on November 17th, 2014, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With Respect,
David

11 Sept 2012 / Idiopathic Ventricular Fibrillation
At about 2AM I started storming at home, and in the ambulance, and in the ER.
Sometimes I restated and sometimes I had to be defibrillated.
A number of times I went into arrest and stopped breathing.
External defibrillation count exceeded 18 and at some point the team induced a coma.
24 hours later I was revived and have never had another event.
13 Sept 2012 / Medtronic ICD was implanted.
My diagnosis is still idiopathic.

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » November 17th, 2014, 7:20 pm

From memory we have had this question before about back packs, but I did a search and couldn't find the details. From memory as long as you have padded shoulder pads and also I think the waist strap to take a bit of the pressure off, you should be fine. It also would be dependent on how well padded you are above your insertion. Of course you have to wait for the wound to heal properly first and the device to settle before you try it out.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

HenryT

Post by HenryT » November 17th, 2014, 10:15 pm

My wife and I are regular day hikers mainly in the Shenandoah National Park and I always carry a day pack. No difficulties over the past 15 years. Personally, I think the benefits of being out in nature outweigh most other concerns. One of my two shocks occurred on a hike with three friends. After catching my breath we picked up our gear and finished the last two or three miles with no further incidents. Although they were never the same lmao4dx

Henry
DCM with heart failure (EF 15%) diagnosed in May of 1998. First ICD fitted in July of 1998. On my third device a Boston Scientific CRT-D put in June '09 following AV node ablation. Current EF 35%. Current Meds: warfarin, amiodarone, coreg, lisinopril, Crestor, aldactone, baby aspirin

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » November 18th, 2014, 10:25 am

let's be honest here guys, your days as a pack mule hauling prodigious loads through the mountains are over, over, over. You'll have to stop being an a... However, a reasonable load with a good quality backpack that properly distributes the load will be no problem. The real issue you'll have with backpacking is finding an extension cord long enough to haul your ICD monitor along with you.

Relax, life doesn't end with implant...it ends with marriage.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » November 18th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Oh Henry, I can appreciate how your friends reacted. We become so attuned to our devices when we need them, that a shock makes us better, and it is hard for non bionic people to accept how our devices are our safety net, not a medical emergency. I honestly feel we are the lucky ones.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

ibwagone1

Post by ibwagone1 » November 18th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Thanks all for the great answers! My goal is to continue to hike the Sierra's to continue surfing and to be the best grandfather I can be!

ShortyTelameres

Post by ShortyTelameres » November 30th, 2018, 12:41 pm

I got a 30 liter One shoulder sling bag, but it seems to throw my back uncomfortably to the left. In October when I thought the pain had ended, I used an
old external frame pack with a seat belt cover,( for traveling, not back-country hiking) it worked pretty well (figuring less than 25 lb. loads)., but now the pain is back.