Amoxicillin and Pvc's

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

bigben7tony

Amoxicillin and Pvc's

Post by bigben7tony » December 29th, 2011, 11:06 pm

Since I've been back on Amio 7 months ago I haven't had any problems with pvc's or a-fib. I went to the family doc and he gave me amoxicillin for an URI with a severe cough and vertigo. Since I've been on the amoxicillin I have had a tremendous number of pvc's including doubles and triples.

I saw the cardio today and he did an electrocariogram and checked the icd and said that yes I have been having more pvcs but my sinus rhythm was fine and that there were no "serious" episodes on my device check. When I asked if the amoxicillin was the cause he said that they don't see that very often from the drug. He said it was more likely that the stress on my body for the past 5 days from the infection and the severe coughing were more likely to be causing the increase in pvc's.

Has anyone had a problem with amoxicillin and increased rhythm disturbances? I trust my cardio but once the "fear factor" takes over I start to doubt everything and worry myself into a tizzy tanty

Thanks for listening and any feedback.

Tony
SCA August 3,2009
ICD August 6, 2009 St. Jude, exchanged for a Medtronic Consulta BiV on March 29, 2013
Shocked on Aug 25, 2009 and May 6, 2011 Amio added for the 2nd time
Artificial Aortic Valve
Afib, Slow Vtach, V-fib, CHF
Atrial ablation 2/24/11
Heart Failure and low EF 2013
Drugs: Amio 200, Coreg 12.5, Coumadin 2.5, Crestor 10, Lasix 80, COQ10 200, magnesium, ativan 1, dexilant 60 and potassium(the giant pill)40 meq, Methotrexate 15 mg once per week

TruckerRon

Re: Amoxicillin and Pvc's

Post by TruckerRon » December 30th, 2011, 10:44 am

Having gone through an ACE cough with lisinopril (which wasn't fun!) I can believe that any frequent, strong cough can play havoc with your heart. OTOH, amoxicillin is a drug which means that it has side effects that vary with each individual in ways that may be rare...

Personally, I've been on it just once since my SCA and I haven't had an interrogation since then (I'm due one in February). I'll try to remember to look for any PVC runs coinciding with the amoxicillin dates.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099