Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

AlexK

Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

Post by AlexK » June 6th, 2011, 8:05 pm

As most of y'all know I like to ride my bike doing BMX racing, short intense sprints with a rest after each one.

Still, my heart rate which often was in the low 800s was getting up into the high 800s doing it, and the doc upped my beta blocker a couple months ago just to be on the safe side. They also reminded me not to just chug-a-lug the water, try to keep it to 64 ounces a day.

Okay fine, I got back to racing and my performance is down a little -- I assume due to my engine now having a greater restrictor plate installed, but I'm in the game and having fun. I've noticed in the last, oh six to eight months or so my performance has been dropping off even before the dosage up. For that matter, back around March I complained to the doc about feeling a little light-headed sometimes, they downloaded the data and came to the above conclusions (submitted in the interest of full disclosure).

But last weekend, oh my God! It came up a terrible heat snap, up around 100 F after weeks in the high 70s, and I went racing. Saturday afternoon it just got to me in such a way that I wasn't really equipped to try. I'd get in the starting gate, make a show about going hard but just back off. I could feel my heart beating faster.

Obviously I didn't do well, but whatever, finished the race with a score.

But I'd never felt my heart beating like that; I could just hold my hand over my chest and feel the little sucker just a' gettin' it, even when sitting still.

Sunday, also hot, about the same story. I just rode easy to get a score, I was tired.

So this, ladies and germs, is a multi-part question:

1- Does the heat give y'all problems?

2- Does your general cardiac performance fade over time in a manner, say, a little more drastically than the non-equipped?

I suppose what I'm really asking for is anyone's life experience includes something along the lines of what I've outlined above?

Just us talking here, but I'm beginning to wonder if racing on the especially hot days is going to become out of the question for me?
August 1, 2007, died; CPR restored
August 3, 2007 implant Medtronic Pacemaker/Defibrillator
Coreg and Atacand daily
"In the end, everything is just a gag," -- Charlie Chaplin

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Re: Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

Post by mrag » June 6th, 2011, 8:16 pm

But last weekend, oh my God! It came up a terrible heat snap, up around 100 F after weeks in the high 70s, and I went racing.
Alex....I was going to try and create a cute little response about racing a bike when it is 100F outside. I now realize you need more than a little jesting. IMHO, you are in serious need of professional help. Now we are all different, I see that, but my doctors basically say, if it's over 80 degrees, just forget doing anything. That would be things like walking or breathing. I can only imagine if I asked them about 90 degrees and if I suggested a bike and 100F, I'm fairly certain they'd have me in a rubber room.

Has you wife recently increased your life insurance?
;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

(the advice I received about skipping things above 80 degrees is real)
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

JoeNH

Post by JoeNH » June 6th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Well .... where those 100 F temperatures at ? I'll be right there. Seems it shouldn't be in the low 50s (even at this hour) the second week of June.

Now, I don't know where the heck you are geographically located Alex, but I can testify to how comfortable 100 F can be in ultra low humidity circumstances. There is little doubt in my mind that any given day in the month of August, it's hotter in the New York City Subway than on the Las Vegas Strip at High Noon. But a 100 F day here in New England is nothing short of hell, and those two days a year where the thermometer hits triple digits, without fail, come with 90+% humidity. They're brutal.

On those super hot days around here, I'm thinking .... sitting under my favorite shade tree and lemonade ! Ambition will wait until tomorrow. Why take chances ? Heck, they're even making public service announcements on television and radio .... "Take it easy. Stay in the air conditioning." I refuse to believe this is just the evil handy-work of the air conditioning lobby. It's probably good advice.

AlexK

Post by AlexK » June 6th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Bud, this is Arkansas, we call 80 degrees "Winter." (And more to the point, the humidity when you see the high numbers is, well, breath taking.)
Coreg and Atacand daily

JoeNH

Post by JoeNH » June 6th, 2011, 8:53 pm

AlexK wrote:this is Arkansas ..... the humidity when you see the high numbers is, well, breath taking.)
You won't get any argument from me. I'll say I had the bad judgment to visit New Orleans once in the middle of July. Seems to me there's a reason they call that swamp a bayou. That ain't no ordinary swamp !

BKK

Post by BKK » June 6th, 2011, 9:20 pm

AlexK wrote:As most of y'all know I like to ride my bike doing BMX racing, short intense sprints with a rest after each one.

Still, my heart rate which often was in the low 800s was getting up into the high 800s doing it, and the doc upped my beta blocker a couple months ago just to be on the safe side.
OK, since no one else asked... Your saying your heart rate was in the low 800s and getting into the high 800s? What on earth? Are you a hummingbird?

Just curious... not that there is anything wrong with being a hummingbird... I just didn't know they rode BMX bikes, is all.

Brian

JoeNH

Post by JoeNH » June 6th, 2011, 9:39 pm

BKK wrote:OK, since no one else asked... Your saying your heart rate was in the low 800s and getting into the high 800s? What on earth?
Good question. I was gonna ask, but heck, I'm not a damn cardiologist. The fact that when my mother's heart rate got up to 300 when she was in A-fib, the MDs were about beating her with a club to quiet her down ..... has nothing to do with it !

AlexK

Post by AlexK » June 6th, 2011, 9:42 pm

BKK wrote:
AlexK wrote:As most of y'all know I like to ride my bike doing BMX racing, short intense sprints with a rest after each one.

Still, my heart rate which often was in the low 800s was getting up into the high 800s doing it, and the doc upped my beta blocker a couple months ago just to be on the safe side.
OK, since no one else asked... Your saying your heart rate was in the low 800s and getting into the high 800s? What on earth? Are you a hummingbird?

Just curious... not that there is anything wrong with being a hummingbird... I just didn't know they rode BMX bikes, is all.

Brian
*shrug*
That's that they tell me: 800

It turns out, even though my high-rate is set to 700, it "reads" the increasing rate as due to work and doesn't throw a shock. Although last visit it seems like there was some discussion if it went over 800 for a couple of minutes it'd throw a shock just to be on the safe side.

A BMX race is kinda' like a fight, you're in the gate and fairly relaxed, the start signal then BAM! go hard. About 40~ish seconds later you're across the finish line. Fourty busy seconds, but then that's what I'm there for.
Coreg and Atacand daily

JoeNH

Post by JoeNH » June 6th, 2011, 9:57 pm

<scratching head>

I'm hearing 220 minus your age. And since beta blockers reduce your heart rate, 800 seems impossible. I can't get my HR over 125 when I'm running to catch the last stage out of town.
Wikipedia wrote:The most common formula encountered, with no indication of standard deviation, is:

HRmax = 220 − age

This formula has been attributed to various sources, but is widely thought to have been devised in 1970 by Dr. William Haskell and Dr. Samuel Fox.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate

JoeNH

Post by JoeNH » June 6th, 2011, 10:09 pm

More .....
Wikipedia wrote:Tachycardia comes from the Greek words tachys (rapid or accelerated) and kardia (of the heart). Tachycardia typically refers to a heart rate that exceeds the normal range for a resting heart rate (heart rate in an inactive or sleeping individual). It can be dangerous depending on the speed and type of rhythm.

The upper threshold of a normal human heart rate is based upon age. Tachycardia for different age groups is as listed below:

* 1–2 days: >159 beats per minute (bpm)
* 3–6 days: >166 bpm
* 1–3 weeks: >182 bpm
* 1–2 months: >179 bpm
* 3–5 months: >186 bpm
* 6–11 months: >169 bpm
* 1–2 years: >151 bpm
* 3–4 years: >137 bpm
* 5–7 years: >133 bpm
* 8–11 years: >130 bpm
* 12–15 years: >119 bpm
* >15 years – adult: >100 bpm

When the heart beats excessively rapidly, the heart pumps less efficiently and provides less blood flow to the rest of the body, including the heart itself. The increased heart rate also leads to increased work and oxygen demand by the heart, which can lead to rate related ischemia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachycardia

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » June 6th, 2011, 10:27 pm

800 I do think applies only to hummingbirds, but I'll pass on getting into that specific discussion. (I do faintly recall my local doctor telling me he seriously doubted with my age and toprol dosage that I would ever 'naturally' get above 135bpm)

In general, heart patients have to be concerned with "extreme" temperatures. We've had this type conversation in winter about 'shoveling snow' and that sort (cold air constricts blood vessels, reduced oxygen, yada, yada). My own take on this is when it is real hot or real cold, walk in a mall. Oddly enough, our local forecasters are now predicting a high this Wednesday of 97. Maybe I'll do the mall tomorrow and buy a bike.

Then on Wednesday, I'll ride naked through the streets ringing my handlebar bell and screaming, 'the British are coming, the British are coming.' Can you tell heatstroke has already set in?
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » June 6th, 2011, 10:39 pm

:mutt: :mutt: :mutt: And I will be on the corner giving you support and wringing my bell in encouragement.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

annette8

Post by annette8 » June 6th, 2011, 11:26 pm

Dear Alex, I am sorry, but there is no way your great rate even comes near 800 beats per minute. There would be no blood flow anywhere , imcluding your heart muscle and brain. The 800 may refer to another measurement. I wouldn't want anyone to think they could have a HR of 800 and just be dizzy. Dead , you would be dead. And, as Al often says, IMHO no one, but especially a heart patient, should be doing any outdoor activity in 100 degrees , regardless of the humidity. And, that is my opinion as a heart patient and as a nurse. Please enjoy your sport but don't die doing it. We need you here. Love, annette
annette, age 65y on 8/8/16
nurse, quit work 12/25/10,
retired?????
------------------------------
symptoms-SOB, fatique, cough
dx CHF, LBBB, EF 12-15% 3/10 per echo
EF confirmed by cardiac cath, no blockages
medtronic consulta inserted CRT-D 5/10
ALL the CHF MEDS started 3/10
Now on Coreg 12.mg bid, losartan 50mg hs
EF now 49% per echo 4/2015
Medtronic Viva CRT-P inserted 1/12/17

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » June 7th, 2011, 12:37 am

AlexK wrote:1- Does the heat give y'all problems?
Before my SCA, I handled both high heat (Phoenix in the summer) and cold (Bismarck in the winter) quite well, unloading furniture for small stores, chaining up for mountain passes. Now I can't mow my own lawn in the spring, need the wife to start the car's air conditioner before I get into it in the summer, and I'm letting my neighbors shovel the snow for me in the winters.
moodbad
I try not to think about it too often, lest I be prescribed even more pills.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

*karenb*

Post by *karenb* » June 7th, 2011, 12:58 am

Sorry Alex but heat and humidity make me feel very ill. I'm on the couch with an electric fan and a tall glass of lemonade and ice! I'll be honest, I don't like hot weather because of th way that I feel.

Extremes of any kind are notoriously bad for people with all kinds of heart problems. This is also why death rates amongst the elderly increase during heatwaves.

In the UK we have been enjoying 'high' temperatures recently of 71 degrees fahrenheit! (Just about right for me!) People went wild with barbecues and the streets were full of bare chested men and women wearing very little more. Yesterday we were back to a more typical 55 degrees, although we are still experiencing drought.
CPVT
First ICD 2004.
Current ICD implanted 09/06