Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

All posts from Jan 1st 2011 to Dec, 31 2011

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

bethany

Re: Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

Post by bethany » July 5th, 2011, 6:57 pm

I can only tell you what they tell me no exercise above 85 faren or below 32 faren. This cuts out working outside 3 quarters of the year livning in NH. That is what they told me after both my surgeries and in cardio rehab. as for the 800 I would love to be that low. my pace is between 300 and 400 and my pacer keeps going off. they keep uping my beta blockers to try and slow me, but then my BP drops to 78/48 and the dizziness is way to bad they tell me I am in a tweaking time. I would check with you cardiologist. but I believe the temps are basic for heart patients.

User avatar
AlexK
Posts: 1124
Joined: October 17th, 2007, 6:27 am

Re: Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

Post by AlexK » July 18th, 2011, 12:07 pm

Quick update: I just said "the heck with it" and started drinking more fluids. Not as much as I did in the past, but enough where I might have to relive myself in the course of a day's events. It seems to help -- but only to a limited degree.

The heat, apparently, will remain a factor, although going outside doc's recommendations seems to help some. (Whatever, the gym's air conditioned and I'll just show up for night races.)
August 1, 2007, died; CPR restored
August 3, 2007 implant Medtronic Pacemaker/Defibrillator
Coreg and Atacand daily
"In the end, everything is just a gag," -- Charlie Chaplin

joanpatricia
Posts: 6
Joined: September 17th, 2012, 3:40 pm
Location: Narberth, Pa.

Re: Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

Post by joanpatricia » September 23rd, 2012, 10:43 pm

You may be sorry you let your Mother on here but anyway - I know you are conditioned for the racing world and also stubborn as only a Calhoun can be (my maiden name for anyone else reading this) but when the temps exceed 100+, why is it essential for you to be in that starting gate? Admitted or not, you are risking all that God has brought you back to life to enjoy! Just give it thought . By the way, have you asked your intelligent wife her opinion? You have until Spring to resolve the issue but you are too important to those of us who love you.

User avatar
AlexK
Posts: 1124
Joined: October 17th, 2007, 6:27 am

Re: Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

Post by AlexK » September 24th, 2012, 8:46 am

It's Mom.

Okay everybody, act right. It's Mom, Mom's here.
August 1, 2007, died; CPR restored
August 3, 2007 implant Medtronic Pacemaker/Defibrillator
Coreg and Atacand daily
"In the end, everything is just a gag," -- Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
Suzanne
Posts: 3587
Joined: October 1st, 2009, 8:42 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

Post by Suzanne » September 24th, 2012, 9:34 am

joanpatricia wrote:You may be sorry you let your Mother on here but anyway - I know you are conditioned for the racing world and also stubborn as only a Calhoun can be (my maiden name for anyone else reading this) but when the temps exceed 100+, why is it essential for you to be in that starting gate? Admitted or not, you are risking all that God has brought you back to life to enjoy! Just give it thought . By the way, have you asked your intelligent wife her opinion? You have until Spring to resolve the issue but you are too important to those of us who love you.
AlexK wrote:It's Mom.

Okay everybody, act right. It's Mom, Mom's here.
lmao4dx

I know it's over a year later, but I love your Mom's response :D

But still, remember Alex, Mom's know best!!!
~ Suzanne ~

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

schultzy3
Posts: 59
Joined: April 16th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Location: Oakland MD

Re: Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

Post by schultzy3 » September 24th, 2012, 10:09 am

I'm pretty sure AlexK wanted a few questions answered about how heat affects different people. I don't believe he wanted a formula, fact finding mission on 800 or 80 bpm. I'm sure if he asked what time it was, he would really not be interested in how the watch worked. I say these smart ass words to show how heat affects me...my wife says I get very irritable and short. The doctor told me once that when it is hot, your blood vessels expand, therefore making your heart work harder to get oxygenated blood where it needs to be. We all know our hearts should not work harder. That's what zaps us of energy. At the beach this year, with a heat index of 110, I could barely lift a cold beverage to my lips sitting by the pool. As soon as I went inside in the AC, I felt better, and could lift cold beverages with no problem!!

Rob
Don't give up, don't ever give up-Jim Valvano

User avatar
AlexK
Posts: 1124
Joined: October 17th, 2007, 6:27 am

Re: Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

Post by AlexK » September 24th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Suzanne wrote:
joanpatricia wrote:You may be sorry you let your Mother on here but anyway - I know you are conditioned for the racing world and also stubborn as only a Calhoun can be (my maiden name for anyone else reading this) but when the temps exceed 100+, why is it essential for you to be in that starting gate? Admitted or not, you are risking all that God has brought you back to life to enjoy! Just give it thought . By the way, have you asked your intelligent wife her opinion? You have until Spring to resolve the issue but you are too important to those of us who love you.
AlexK wrote:It's Mom.

Okay everybody, act right. It's Mom, Mom's here.
lmao4dx

I know it's over a year later, but I love your Mom's response :D

But still, remember Alex, Mom's know best!!!
You know, this was when they had my beta-b dose at a much higher level. Since then they've backed it off, and I've gotten better about pacing myself in the heat.
August 1, 2007, died; CPR restored
August 3, 2007 implant Medtronic Pacemaker/Defibrillator
Coreg and Atacand daily
"In the end, everything is just a gag," -- Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
ROBO Pop
Posts: 4512
Joined: September 14th, 2009, 2:36 pm
Location: the Oval Office

Re: Heat & beta blockers and feeling funny question

Post by ROBO Pop » September 24th, 2012, 2:17 pm

AlexK wrote:
Suzanne wrote:
joanpatricia wrote:You may be sorry you let your Mother on here but anyway - I know you are conditioned for the racing world and also stubborn as only a Calhoun can be (my maiden name for anyone else reading this) but when the temps exceed 100+, why is it essential for you to be in that starting gate? Admitted or not, you are risking all that God has brought you back to life to enjoy! Just give it thought . By the way, have you asked your intelligent wife her opinion? You have until Spring to resolve the issue but you are too important to those of us who love you.
AlexK wrote:It's Mom.

Okay everybody, act right. It's Mom, Mom's here.
lmao4dx

I know it's over a year later, but I love your Mom's response :D

But still, remember Alex, Mom's know best!!!
You know, this was when they had my beta-b dose at a much higher level. Since then they've backed it off, and I've gotten better about pacing myself in the heat.
You sure it wasn't the spanking behind the wood shed that resolved the problem?
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Post Reply