Eating Out Advice (or Eating Smarter)

Please make sure to cite and give credit to whomever created these recipes.
mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Eating Out Advice (or Eating Smarter)

Post by mrag » May 27th, 2011, 6:24 pm

This is a link to a site that ultimately sends out a weekly newsletter (if you so choose). I have found it interesting reading and recommend it. Topics have included, best hamburger joints, worst breakfast foods and similar and might come in handy if you travel or go out a bit for food. They do not seem to recognize or emphasize the ill effects of sodium as much as I would like, but usually give a mg count along with the calories and fat content.

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home
nonsense area-does anyone even read this area any more

JoeNH

Re: Eating Out Advice (or Eating Smarter)

Post by JoeNH » May 27th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Hey Al,

I like that link you gave. Pretty good. I like the easy to read narrative format.

I share exactly the frustration you're talking about. I find it next-to-impossible to eat like a civilized human being outside of my own home. So I know you won't mind my handing out this link while we're on the subject.

This site does a very detailed technical nutritional analysis of the entire menu of virtually every major restaurant chain in the entire country. Everyone from Amato's, Amici's and Applebee's .... to Zaxby's, Zippy's and Zoup .... are listed with their entire menu IN DETAIL. Almost enough information to make you go blind !

http://www.fastfood.com/nutrition/

Donnette

Post by Donnette » February 25th, 2015, 5:03 pm

I subscribe to Sodium Girl's blog and have one of her cookbooks. It's not my favorite cookbook though. Although her recipes are very good, many are very time-consuming. Since I'm now cooking almost every meal, I really prefer quicker meals. I have a cookbook by Dick Logue for recipes under 15 minutes. They are good. He sometimes uses instant rice to keep things under 15 minutes. I'll just substitute long grain rice and know it's going to cook for 45 minutes.

Anyway, here's the link to Sodium Girl's page if anyone is interested. http://www.sodiumgirl.com/

Donnette

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » February 25th, 2015, 6:38 pm

These are some pretty good links.
It is so hard to eat out and keep our intake numbers in line with our true needs.

I just can't believe that it's Al's picture on that first on. I though he was a lot taller. lmao4dx

PS. This is the correct forum to put these types of posts. In the ICD Recipe forum.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

Donnette

Post by Donnette » February 26th, 2015, 10:46 am

I know not everyone has access to all these places, but In-N-Out Burgers are very accommodating. They have a Protein Burger (no bread; use lettuce leaves) and they will even cook the fries in a separate fryer in which they don't put salted potatoes.

Johnny Carino's (Italian) are very accommodating. They have a salt-free bread and a steak that is low sodium. Plus we ask that the kitchen people not add any additional salt and only eat approx. 4 ounces of the steak.

IHOP isn't bad if you have eggs without the meat. But for the most part, we just eat at home.

Finally above freezing in North Central Texas. :freez:

Donnette

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » February 26th, 2015, 1:05 pm

Donnette; you have a some good points. I do eat out every so often and found that some places will cook my foods while limiting the salt. I have to just order what is at least somewhat healthy. Red Lobster as an example will grill my salmon without adding any spices thus cutting out a lot of salt, although I still have 2 of those rolls (full of salt). I just don't have any other salty foods that day.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.