Something Fishy

LadyF

Something Fishy

Post by LadyF » May 26th, 2011, 6:30 pm

OK. I'll start the ball rolling.

Mackerel a la LadyP

Not sure if you get Mackerel in America but this would work well with trout or other oily fish, but I did this using Mackerel. This is also a fairly quick and easy meal to prepare. Shouldn't take more than 45 minutes from cooking to sitting down and eating so great if you're in a hurry.

Get whole Mackerel, heads and tails removed and also gutted.

Wash the fish thoroughly and pick out as many of the bones from the cavity that you can. They come out easily.

Put each fish on a piece of tinfoil (aluminium foil) big enough to form a parcel for the fish.

Take some basil leaves and roughly tear them up. Put these in the cavity. Gives a subtle flavour to the fish.

Moisten the skin of the fish with a little extra virgin olive oil.

Sprinkle a little (optional) sea salt on the fish and a little freshly ground black pepper on the fish.

Chop some fresh Rosemary (don't use dried - it hasn't got the same flavour) fairly finely and sprinkle on the fish.

Thin slice some lime and place this head to tail on the fish (use lemon if you don't like lime).

Loosely wrap the tinfoil round the fish (don't do it tightly - leave plenty of space to allow the hot air to circulate during cooking).

Bake the fish for 30 minutes (perhaps a minute or two longer if the fish are very large) in a pre-heated oven. 160C Fan Assisted 180C normal oven.

Do not discard the juices/oil from the fish. Pour it over the fish when it's on the plate. This is Omega 3 oil and very good for you :cool:

Serve with boiled baby new potatoes and a vegetable of your choice. We used a mixture of peas and broad beans as these compliment the fish and don't overpower it. Broccoli or Courgettes would also be good. Unfortunately, Graham doesn't like Courgettes so we went for the peas and beans.

Enjoy :mrgreen:

Mark

Re: Something Fishy

Post by Mark » May 26th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Yummm, sound really good- I wonder how it would be with haddock??

LadyF

Re: Something Fishy

Post by LadyF » May 26th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Kramozzam wrote:Yummm, sound really good- I wonder how it would be with haddock??
Not sure it would work with haddock. Think this one works best with oily fish as the flavours compliment each other.

We used to get a lot of haddock as kids. Our neighbour was a Skipper and had his own boat, a Seine Net so we got lots of fish as kids. Mum was not the most adventurous of cooks and was wary of experimenting but she was a very good plain cook and we always had good meals.

One way she cooked smoked haddock was to poach it in milk and a few minutes before serving would poach some eggs in the milk with the fish. It was lovely and still my favourite way of eating smoked haddock.

I also like haddock (unsmoked) with mustard sauce but I'm the only one in the family who likes it. Have to treat myself to it sometime.

I make all my own sauces as I can't stand the fake packet/tinned/jar variety. Too much salt in them and too much artificial rubbish.