It is currently October 17th, 2017, 8:00 am

Glazed Carrots with Coriander and Cumin 

Post Glazed Carrots with Coriander and Cumin
[OOPS! Originally posted in wrong subforum!]

I'll be the second to kick off this new forum. Yeaaah!

But first, let me state that I am not a trained chef (except for being trained in the kiitchens of my Mom and my Aunt). I love to cook, and love creating and experimenting. Some things work, some don't. That's part of the fun. I am also known for taking a book or online recipe and doctoring/changing it. I always substitute sweet red peppers for green bell peppers, for example, as I hate green bell peppers. I always say, add what you like, and take out what you don't.

Now that that's out of the way, a message about recipes. Since this board is international, it's important for oven temps to be listed as F or C. I'll throw this conversion link out there: http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/resources/index.html#axzz1NVVGhfJW It covers the basic conversions, cup to TBS, etc. There's also this one, which is strictly C to F conversion: http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm I use 'TBS' for tablespoon and 'tsp' for teaspoon.

Now, on to the carrots.

I just hate boring vegetables, it's really a pet peeve of mine. So I try to jazz up my vegetables in any way possible. This is one of my creations.

Glazed Carrots with Coriander and Cumin

1 lb. carrots
1 TBS coriander seed (or 1 tsp ground coriander)
1 TBS cumin seed (or 1 tsp ground cumin)
8 oz low sodium or no sodium (homemade) beef stock
1-2 tsp unsalted butter
fresh cracked black pepper to taste
sea salt to taste

Optional:

pinch ground cinammon (less than 1/4 tsp)
1/4 tsp dried ginger
1/4 tsp dried mustard
1/4 tsp ground curry powder
1 tsp real maple syrup

If using coriander and cumin seed, lightly dry toast the seeds, let cool, then grind in a coffee grinder (**WARNING** Do not use the one you use for grinding coffee beans) into a powder. If using powdered spices, skip this step.

Start off by peeling the carrots. Slice the carrots on the bias, about 1/4" to 3/8" thick. If the carrots are large in diameter, slice the carrots in half lengthwise. You don't want big slices, but you don't want a small dice either. Basically, 1/2" to 1" bite-sized slices.

In a non-stick saucepan, place the carrots. Add the beef stock, the coriander and cumin, along with some grinds of fresh cracked black pepper and a pinch sea salt to taste. Go easy on the salt, as the liquid will be reduced, increasing the saltiness. I make my own beef stock, but if using canned low sodium beef stock, you might want to salt at the very end.

Uncovered, bring to a boil. Once at a boil, stir, then reduce the heat to a medium to low simmer. Stir occassionally. Let the broth almost cook away, about 10 to 15 minutes. Once the broth almost evaporates, test the carrots for doneness. (I don't like my carrots to be mush, so take it from there.) If the carrots are not quite done enough for your taste, simply cover the saucepan and cook until the carrots are at desired doneness. Now reduce the liquid until it's barely there, but do not burn. At this point, add 1-2 tsp butter, and swirl/stir to coat the carrots.

Serve immediately as a side dish with roasted meats, like chicken. Serves 4 easily, with some leftovers, depending on how hungry people are, or whether they like carrots (like I do).

Optional:

For variety, you can kick up the carrots a little by adding dried curry powder, ginger, cinammon, mustard, syrup or any combination thereof at the beginning, with the coriander and cumin.

May 26th, 2011, 8:37 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Glazed Carrots with Coriander and Cumin
Well i made this recipe yesterday, and that was so delicious.I used less oil,
and just cracked the coriander seeds and cut the carrots i love them that
way. I did use, the parsley but it definitely is not necessary. Cumin might
be a good choice given the asian flavors in this dish.

November 10th, 2012, 1:38 am
Profile E-mail