Coumadin and root canal

All posts from Jan 1, 2010 to Dec. 31, 2010

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

david1

Coumadin and root canal

Post by david1 » December 16th, 2010, 12:38 am

I am scheduled for a root canal procedure on the 21st. I am wondering if I need to stop coumadin 3 days before the surgery. I have not discussed this with my cardio. Did anyone had this procedure and had to stop coumadin

God bless us all always

david1

ladyheart

Re: Coumadin and root canal

Post by ladyheart » December 16th, 2010, 2:50 am

Does your dentist know you are on coumadin? I've had a lot of dental work done in the 14 years I've been on coumadin and it is a MUST for the dentist to know about your heart situation and the coumadin. He should know whether or not you need to get your pro-time checked and what it should be before the procedure....or he will tell you to discuss it with your cardiologist. I think for a root canal, you may not need to make any changes in your coumadin, but your dentist needs to know about it anyway.
Lori
Idiopathic Cardiomyopathy & CHF 1996
Mitral Valve Replacement 1997
first ICD 2005, Guidant
second ICD 2010, St. Jude
Sudden Cardiac Arrests: 1 in 2005, 10 in 2009

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » December 16th, 2010, 5:22 am

When I had my cataract surgery I was on aspirin, plavix AND coumadin. The doctor said I could continue all three and used the cute term "bloodless surgery." Having now had more root canals than teeth I think, I'd call that "bloodless surgery" also. Definitely alert the dentist. I remind the dental hygienist that I'm on coumadin every time she cleans my teeth although all that happens there is I don't feel she gets as near the gum line as she could. I also do not seem to bleed as much as some others on warfarin. Have fun.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

xislandman2004

Post by xislandman2004 » December 16th, 2010, 7:30 am

I just had deep cleaning done and did not stop coumadin but did inform the dentist...
--dennis

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy - Heart failure
First ICD Medtronic 5/16/08
Pulmonary Vein Ablation 9/1/10
Second ICD Medtronic 5/8/12
AV Node ablation 12/23/13
Medtronic Viva CRT-D 4/14/14
Mitral valve replacement 7/14/15
plural and pericardia fluids (2.5 liters) drained 2/16

Coreg 12.5mg x 3

Coumadin 4.0 mg qd
Lasix 40mg x 2
Potassium 10 megs per 20 mg Lasix

Then the lie passed into history and became truth. - George Orwell 1984

JoeNH

Post by JoeNH » December 16th, 2010, 7:40 am

David,

Clearly this is a matter you need to discuss with both the MD and the DDS. I was on Coumadin and still am on Plavix. The general rule of thumb I was given was "defer all dental work as long as possible." Eventually, push does come to shove.

A note about Coumadin: It's a drug with one of the longer half lives, about 72 hours, meaning that a given dosage of Coumadin is only removed from your body to the extent of 50% within 72 hours. You'd be at roughly 75% out of your body in roughly six days, and about 90% gone in 10 days.

Check with the Gods !

TravelingMan

Post by TravelingMan » December 16th, 2010, 7:46 am

I had to stop Coumadin 3 days before a root canal, spinal epidural and I think when they replaced the ICD. That's the usual standard for any type of surgery I've had. Call your dentist and tell them you're on Coumadin and they'll tell you how far out to stop it.

Greg a

Post by Greg a » December 16th, 2010, 2:33 pm

I Would speak to DDS and MD and also ask IF you need to premedicate with antibiotics
LIVE
LOVE
LAUGH
ITS ALL GOOD

ABOUT ME:
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... &start=570

Frankz

Post by Frankz » December 16th, 2010, 4:12 pm

Of course, it depend on the dentist doing the root canal, but recently I have had both root canal jobs and an apicoectomy (Google the term) done while I was on warfarin. When I told the dentist about the warfarin, he said that he wasn't concerned as long as there was access to the site from the outside.

Frankz

jimparter

Post by jimparter » February 2nd, 2011, 4:03 am

ladyheart wrote:Does your dentist know you are on coumadin? I've had a lot of dental work done in the 14 years I've been on coumadin and it is a MUST for the dentist to know about your heart situation and the coumadin. He should know whether or not you need to get your pro-time checked and what it should be before the procedure....or he will tell you to discuss it with your cardiologist. I think for a root canal, you may not need to make any changes in your coumadin, but your dentist needs to know about it anyway.
I am agree with you,He should take advise from dentists.

Mechanicsburg PA Dentists