It is currently July 25th, 2014, 12:53 am

Medtronic home monitoring 

Post Medtronic home monitoring
Hi,
Just wonder if anyone can advise, I have a medtronic protecta ICD and ive just signed up for remote monitoring which should arrive this week at some point.

I know once the home monitoring box arrives I hold the sensor to my chest and pair the ICD and the remote monitoring box.

What im not sure about is does the ICD send information daily to the monitoring box or is this done by me somehow ?.

Can anyone with similar advise please. I should have asked when i got my ICD checked last week but with everything going on in my head i just forgot.

Thanks
Paul

http://www.facebook.com/pbeesley

Medtronic ICD Fitted Aug 2010. Liverpool heart and chest hospital
Asprin 75mg, Atorvastatin 10mg, Bisoprolol Fumrate 5.0mg, Clopidogel 75mg, Furosemide 20mg. Lansoprazole 30mg, Levothyroxine 25mg, Ramipril 12.5mg

October 27th, 2010, 9:01 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Medtronic home monitoring
Hello Paul,

I have remote monitoring as well. The way I understand it to work is as follows.

Currently the remote box needs to be connected to a land line. (bummer for those who only have cell phones... technology to come?)

Now mind you I have a Virtuoso, so it might be a little different than yours... but here it is (my understanding)

The box (or program on Medtronic's end) signals the box every 30 days (preset by medtronic) to interrogate the ICD. I know it works because I was at my cardio when my medtronic rep was reading my last update... he said come look, its YOU. Extremely cool!

The box as I understand has this feature built in along with the ICD that if something changes the box wakes up and sends the reading in question to medtronic.

Essentially, NO news is good news.

And lastly you are correct about placing the monitor on the unit for initial reading or if your cardio or EP request a reading out of the normal cycle.

Hope that helps and is accurate. Anything else I can help with... just ask, I'm learning too!

Have a good day.

Kevin

October 27th, 2010, 9:29 am
Profile E-mail

Cheers Kevin,
Thanks for the information - you actually answered another question i had too, if its a pre set interval when it updates then how do i do it manually if anything should happen :).

Thanks again
Paul

Asprin 75mg, Atorvastatin 10mg, Bisoprolol Fumrate 5.0mg, Clopidogel 75mg, Furosemide 20mg. Lansoprazole 30mg, Levothyroxine 25mg, Ramipril 12.5mg

October 27th, 2010, 10:20 am
Profile E-mail

Hi Paul ,

Chances are you had your ICD fitted at Liverpool Heart and Chest hospital?..I did and the guys in the ECG dept are really helpful with any questions or concerns you may have regarding the remote monitoring unit.. Give em a call.
i have my unit at my bedside permanently wired to the landline and it is possible for the transfer of information at any point whilst I am nearby or , say for example , asleep at night.. should needs be.
and
I have now been told that I do not need to place the wand over my ICD on my transmission date which is just amazing really when you think about it.
When you receive your unit there's also a DVD included for you to watch if that helps.
You can at any time transmit a reading should you feel unwell or have any concerns , just remember to call the ECG dept at LHCH to let them know to receive and read it and they will call you back with the results.

Take it Easy

Steve

Logic will get you from A to B , Imagination will take you everywhere.

October 27th, 2010, 11:16 am
Profile E-mail

Actually, whether your Medtronic device is queried automatically depends on your doctor's orders and what your provider (NHS?) is willing to pay for. In my case I initiate the interrogation manually during a 12-hour window arranged by my EP's office monthly for two months, but during the 3rd month I go to his office for a combination interrogation and consultation with him.

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Maximo II
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3&p=57099#p57099

October 27th, 2010, 12:01 pm
Profile E-mail

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it.

Yes Steve it was at LHCH where I got mine fitted and I was in the ECG room on Friday just forgot to ask them, I had too many other questions :)

Thanks again
Paul

October 27th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin/Mod

Mine is set to check every so often for updates, 2 weeks I believe, then do a full download every 3 months. The times are determined by your EP's office. Mine does it about 1:30 in the morning, My EP's office has it when they get to work, it's read and I get a PDF copy later that day. I had taken it with me on a trip and forgot to reset the dial out to none from a 9 first (what the hotel had to get an outside line). When they tried the download it would not dial out. I discovered it as I did not get an email from Metronics that they had completed the download so fixed it and it sent the download right then. I also have signed up with the Metronics WEB site to Email me when one is completed. The site always shows the last time one was completed. Nov 2 is my next one scheduled.
If I need to send a special report because I am having a problem the EP's office approves it and I can do the hand-held part and transmit a full report.
I do like the system.

Medtronic-Virtuoso™ VR implanted 2-4-09
6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08
Syndrome, post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF
Heart failure, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm 2.9 cm infrarenal,
Seroma 7 cm, left leg from bypass surgery

My "Wardens" are my bride of 50+ years and my eldest daughter.

October 27th, 2010, 3:40 pm
Profile E-mail

Yes I did an initial "hold the circle" transmission but since then I have had a scheduled interogation and that is set by the "implant clinic" for three month periods or if "therapy" was required .....as I have been totaly unaware of the one incident of pacing and the two times sparky has revived me I am glad of this feature

October 27th, 2010, 4:20 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Wow .... I have to confess that I'm taken aback by the intrusiveness.

I know that many will comment "it's better than being dead, blah, blah, blah," but one of my MAJOR goals is to reduce the intrusiveness of the medical system into my everyday life. I speak with a great deal of experience when I disagree. I've been dead. I've been dead four times. It wasn't so bad. Undoubtedly there are fates worse than death. And I've honestly had enough doctors, nurses, cardiologists, pharmacists, EPs, appointment secretaries, etc., etc., etc., etc. ..... who all have THEIR OWN agenda (NOT NECESSARILY MINE), in the last seven months, to last me a lifetime.

As much as I may comment on this board, and as open and frank as I might be, I am an extraordinarily private person who is particularly bothered by the intrusion of medicine into my life. I simply refuse to be the object of public curiosity or serve to fit the voyeuristic tendencies of the medical community. Now I realize that "Live Free or Die" is more than just an advertising slogan on our license plates, and that my streak of independence is part of the DNA here in New Hampshire, but I'm having real trouble with others dictating, "How, when and where," once I've agreed to have an implant.

It strikes me that one of the greatest joys of adulthood is the ability to make my own decisions and suffer the related consequences. In this country, once you turn 21 you are finally free to screw up your own life all you want. You just have to live with the consequences .... even the bad ones. I'm just not prepared to surrender my ability to "#*#*# up royally" without one hell of a fight.

It strikes me that monthly interrogation whether at my home or the doctor's office is far more intrusion into my life than I'm going to enjoy. It's sort of like how I feel about "random drug testing." I once told a perspective employer that I'd "pee in a cup for him, at the same time he took an IQ test for me." Unfortunately, he was obviously more concerned about the results of the IQ test than I was the drug test. He declined the IQ test.

Just yesterday, even after my recent bout with CHF, my cardiologist said, "See you in six months." In my view, THAT was a major victory, but I'm still not satisfied. Having to report-in once a year is about as much as I'm going be able to stomach over the long haul.

There is a reason someone invented a "One-Hour Martinizing" and why "Permanent Press, Wash and Wear" became so popular. Without a doubt, having to make two trips to the dry cleaner is inconvenient and a real pain in the ass.

October 27th, 2010, 4:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Paul the answer to your question is that the Medtronic carelink Monitor is designed to automatically gather information from your implanted heart device.. This automatic wireless communication between your heart device and the monitor takes place at times scheduled by your doctor or clinic. ( mine is set for 2:30 am daily) Sending heart device information using wireless technology does not require you to interact with your monitor. The process is silent and invisible. Clinics typically schedule the automatic process to occur while you sleep. The monitor can also send wireless heart device alerts to your clinic automatically. ( with out an alert they usually down load to the clinic every three months) The monitor is intended specifically for your use only. It will not work with any other implanted device. So, after the initial setup is done you are not required to do anything else unless so directer by your doctor or clinic. Hope this helps.
James

Medtronic Consulta May 2009

October 28th, 2010, 1:50 pm
Profile E-mail

JoeNH wrote: Wow .... I have to confess that I'm taken aback by the intrusiveness.

After you've had a gizmo the size of a cell phone implanted in your chest, with a wire that goes inside your heart, the little box sitting on the bedside table doesn't feel intrusive at all. :-)

Brian

October 28th, 2010, 11:10 pm
Profile E-mail

When you get your box, it'll have papers with it including instructions which will answer your questions.

But as demonstrated up-thread, the interval is set by your doc. I think mine's backed off to ever six months or something like that -- it even sends me an Email to tell me it's done so, which I think is kinda' cool.

Once you set it up, which doesn't take long, you're done messing with it. Just leave it plugged in and go on about your business.

"In the end, everything is just a gag," -- Charlie Chaplin

October 29th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Hi just to let everyone know my monitoring finally turned up (apparently supply shortages) at the weekend.

No brainer really, it was all setup within 10 minutes of opening the box.

Next upload is 25th Jan which is approximately 5 months after i was fitted :)

Cheers

November 22nd, 2010, 9:10 am
Profile E-mail
Global Moderator

Like you have already heard. the instructions are included. Most likely you will have to "pair" the device once by holding up the mouse type piece to your ICD, but after that, everything should be wireless and you will only need to be near it.

I greatly enjoy my home monitoring. Now that I have a wireless ICD, it is even better. Since the clinic I go to is not near my work or home, it was a hassle to take the day off and drive out for a half hour visit. Now, I just get a note in the mail telling me a report is due. I go to sleep and the monitor takes care of the rest. Then about a week later, I get my report in the mail complete with my doctors notes and signature that he has reviewed it. (Getting the report copy is something you will have to train your doctor and the nursing staff to do for you, they don't just send them automatically)

It is a great time saver for me. If after reviewing my report (which does take time to learn) I have any questions, I can always follow up with my EP for more information and then I will take the time to go to the doctor's office. This is one of the ways I can get on with my life and feel somewhat normal.

Intro post: viewtopic.php?p=5694#p5694

November 22nd, 2010, 1:53 pm
Profile E-mail

Cheers Kat,
The reports where the one thing i forgot to mention last week curse^%#$

I even had a list of questions in my mind and number 1 was reporting doh.

Ah well ill speak to them nearer the time and ensure I get a copy.

Thanks
Paul

November 22nd, 2010, 2:09 pm
Profile E-mail