(Newbie) Hello Everyone!

All posts from Jan 1, 2010 to Dec. 31, 2010

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

duncanjo

(Newbie) Hello Everyone!

Post by duncanjo » September 22nd, 2010, 9:05 pm

Hello everyone quick introduction here...From Canada been reading some post trying to find some answers. 3 yrs ago had my valve done with a mech valve didn't even realize i had a problem until my physical within 4 weeks had the sur because my heart grew working twice as hard they say. Everything was going good until 6 months ago i was passing threw the city having breakfast with a friend and then it happened. I died for 26 mins i just fell over in my seat and CPR was done until i got to the hospital took 2 hrs to stablize me ( Dr's were surprised i lived) They told me it was sudden cardio death syndrome No heart decease, no drugs, yes im a drinker not over weight and active..Dr's told me they dont know why it happened and be thank full im alive. My memory is still foggy still trying to regain the way i think, memory etc..and cardio class's. and now i have ICD. Just have a couple questions

Questions

1. I'm a lawenforcement officer and my cardio Dr. told me theres a good chance i will not go back to work because shooting a gun might set off the ICD, BUT theres an officer from another department in the next town from me has a ICD and his dr said it was okay for him to go back to work, i spoke with this officer and his ICD installed the same time as me and later i learn theres a officer on the SWAT team that has ICD. So I geuss my question is what do I do? get another Cardio Dr.??

2. Sudden cardio death-You mean there is NO REASON WHY THIS HAPPENED TO ME, NOT EVEN A THEORY? A GUESS? ANYTHING

3. How long does it take to get my memory back and train of thought?

Dr.s told me this could happen once in my life or 6 times in one year they dont know MY ICD going off. Anyone on this thread have ICD that hasn't gone off.

Anyfeed back would be great thank you

ladyheart

Re: (Newbie) Hello Everyone!

Post by ladyheart » September 22nd, 2010, 10:20 pm

Welcome from Utah!

Ah, the frustrations of not understanding what in the world is going and why you need this icd!

Like you, I have a titanium valve. That was my first heart issue. Then it progressed to where I am now, over a 13 year period.

They don't always know why the heart gets whacky signals and starts beating so fast that it no longer pumps blood, it just "quivers" and you pass out...(and die if you dont' get shocked back). In my case, my faulty valve led to congestive heart failure and my chf led to electrical miscommunications and my heart would go into ventricular fibrillations (v-fibs). So, there are probably all different kinds of us on here that go into cardiac arrest for a variety of reasons. The one thing we all have in common is that we need an icd to shock our hearts back into a normal rythm to start pumping blood again.

The memory problems seem to be continual...my husband thinks it is due to the lack of sufficient oxygen getting to my brain at any given time. But back when I got my valve replaced, I was on the heart lung machine for 6 hours and I have read that there is a connection between being on that machine and memory problems. But you learn to cope and deal and the people around you help "fill in the blanks" .

I cannot even imagine being "out" as long as you were! I'd love to hear about that experience in more detail...like, how did you feel as you were coming back, how long did it take to realize where you were and get oriented, did you have a near death experience "on the other side", etc. If you feel like answering any of those, I'm always interested in details.

Oh, also, that's right, the doctors don't know when your heart is going to go into fibs, they only make educated guesses on the likelihood of it being probable in each person's case. In your case, your hear already proved it. It may never happen again, but there's more of a chance of it than most people in the world. When I got my icd, I went into an arrest two weeks later--thankfully I had it! But then no more arrests for four years, and then I had a two week run of them every day. Now I've been arrest free for over a year. All the time and experience helps you to know when/if its going to happen, how you'll feel, what to do, what to watch for, etc. Lots of reading on here will help too.

Glad you joined.
Lori
Idiopathic Cardiomyopathy & CHF 1996
Mitral Valve Replacement 1997
first ICD 2005, Guidant
second ICD 2010, St. Jude
Sudden Cardiac Arrests: 1 in 2005, 10 in 2009

Anthony

Post by Anthony » September 23rd, 2010, 6:41 am

Welcome from sunny South Wales, I always smile when I see/hear the phrase 'sudden cardio death syndrome'. That's basically a euphomism for 'we don't know'. I've suffered the same 'syndrome' but by giving it a name it's at least easier to explain to others.

Best of luck to you.
Keep on keepin on......

Elizabeth Martineau

Post by Elizabeth Martineau » September 23rd, 2010, 7:06 am

Hi, there. Is Duncan your first name? Wanted to welcome you from Charlotte, NC.
I think you will find friends and advice on here, people in the same boat.

Hook

Post by Hook » September 23rd, 2010, 8:08 am

I had a mitral valve replacement and also just got my ICD. My doc told me shooting a weapon is no problem. They even said a shotgun would be fine provided I use my right shoulder, and maybe a shooting jacket.

Being a cop I would imagine your primary weapons are a 9mm and an AR15. The recoil on those weapons is minimal.

Once my leads are set I plan to go out shooting.

BTW, I am also interested in your experience while you were out.
Todd Taylor
St Judes ICD, implanted 9/14/2010 Vanderbilt

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » September 23rd, 2010, 8:49 am

howdywelcome from Colorado. As you can see already there are no definitive answers to all questions. So often it is just experience of others. Each of us is so different that sometimes we get answers opposite what others get. You, your body, your EP/MD will need to make the decision on your future as a police officer.
Good luck.
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

Maxine Miller

Post by Maxine Miller » September 23rd, 2010, 10:35 am

Hey U..I am from Whitby Ont was implanted Jan of this year..its a new life..but its like havin a guardian angel..I am sure as u go along u will learn the do's and dont's of having an icd implanted good luck to u dancee
maxine
Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
medtronic ICD:implanted 19/1/2010
Bisoprolol..Avapro..ASA

Greg a

Post by Greg a » September 23rd, 2010, 3:39 pm

LIVE
LOVE
LAUGH
ITS ALL GOOD

ABOUT ME:
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... &start=570

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » September 23rd, 2010, 11:41 pm

Here's another welcome from Utah.
wavhi
Like you, I dropped dead with no warning. When I came back (sorry, no near-death-experience I can remember, LadyHeart) I got to learn several new words. The big one was cardiomyopathy, a weakening of the ventricle muscles, that led to my going into ventricular fibrillation. The funny word was idiopathic, which means "unknown cause," but I prefer to translate as "we doctors are idiots, and it's quite pathetic, but we don't have a clue!"
:duh:
I've been at this a year now with no shocks required from the ICD. It's busy pacing my heart constantly since my ventricles, left to themselves, fire separately. The drugs and the pacing have increased my EF from somewhere under 20% to 40-45%. The drugs have also given me some nifty side effects, but I'll take them over dying any day!
smileyquoteunquote
So, give yourself some time... Chances are most of your memory will return, and if you're otherwise in good health, you'll be back on your feet and working again. Just give your body and mind the time and attention they need. And remember your doctors are NOT mind readers--be sure to write down questions you come up with between appointments, as well as what you're feeling each day. Finally, if you ever discover your doctors aren't paying proper attention to you as a person (I'm NOT the dilated ventricle in 117, thank you very much!) feel free to change doctors if that's the only way to get the level of care you deserve.
tanty
So, welcome to the club and take good care of yourself!
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

ScorpD

Post by ScorpD » September 24th, 2010, 5:29 am

Ron I love your definition of idiopathic. lmao4dx
Maybe the only number that really matters is "On a scale of One to Ten, How do you feel today?"

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » September 24th, 2010, 6:53 am

Hi, welcome to the ICD world. I agree with all the above and keep repeating everyone here has different conditions. What works for me may not for you. As for continuing your police work, I suspect you'll get into a legal arena on that one. If you can't do your old job usually two or more medical opinions are required, are you in a union, that sort of stuff. And that is specific to you and to where you are located. I don't see an issue with shooting a gun, but I also don't ever see myself running after some 18 year shop lifter ;-) I don't see myself running for a bus either.

My highly sophisticated guesses for your SCA; likely your parents, could be just bad luck. How come some people win the lottery and I haven't?

I forget the question on memory.

As for your ICD firing, I think the (large) majority of people that have an ICD usually never get a shock or maybe once every couple years. Unfortunately there are some where the thing fires a lot more than that. Sometimes properly, sometimes because of error. You can tell who they are-they're us*, the ones that are here. Picture this, if you go to a Honda repair forum, you might think that EVERY Honda owner has a problem with their manifold or such because you see five posts on the subject. In reality though, 99% of Honda owners never had an issue. You only get to see the ones that had a problem.

*I'm speaking in generalities, there are some here who don't even have an ICD so the odds for them getting shocked are very low :-D
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Greg a

Post by Greg a » September 24th, 2010, 9:45 pm

Joey,
I would suggest to you that the Ontario Ombudsman may be a route to folllow http://www.ombudsman.on.ca/en/what-we-do.aspx I think you would be able to cite examples of dischrging firearms without incident and let them either continue the investigation or turn it over to a tribunal of Ontario Provincial Police who are very familiar with aboriginal reserve policing.

Once again Joey, good luck and keep this group informed as the results could be of benefit to future members
LIVE
LOVE
LAUGH
ITS ALL GOOD

ABOUT ME:
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... &start=570

Greg a

Post by Greg a » August 19th, 2011, 9:06 pm

LIVE
LOVE
LAUGH