PG&E Smart meters

All posts from Jan 1, 2010 to Dec. 31, 2010

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin

oleblueize

PG&E Smart meters

Post by oleblueize » July 21st, 2010, 9:36 pm

Hello All,
Sorry I haven't been on for awhile and haven't made your meetings. I do have a question for anyone. As you have seen in the news, PG&E is putting in those "smart meters" in homes now. Has anyone heard any concerns about residents with ICDs having them in their homes? PG&E says it is less frequency than cell phones....

Any thoughts about these meters & ICD people?????

Cathy
ICD CRT-D 2/2/09

Greg a

Re: PG&E Smart meters

Post by Greg a » July 21st, 2010, 11:17 pm

Goooooooooooooooood question they are here in Ontario as well
LIVE
LOVE
LAUGH
ITS ALL GOOD

ABOUT ME:
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... &start=570

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » July 22nd, 2010, 8:04 am

If you mean the water and electric meter that remit radio waves and are read from a vehicle. We have them here. I never thought about them but have had ours for about 3 years and my ICD for 18months. I have never had any problems with interference. The water on is about 10 feet from where I sit to watch TV downstairs and the gas one is just outside the concrete foundation wall where I am writing this.

That may be why I am the way I am. Just a little crazy whewsmile
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

wingnut73

Post by wingnut73 » July 22nd, 2010, 12:29 pm

I am not sure, but I believe thise meters only transmit when they are interrogated by the reader in the vehicle. at any rate they are such low power that should not be a problem to us.
BTW, I live about 1000' from a 5000watt AM radio station and that was the first question that I askede when the Dr. started talking ICD!

Kat

Post by Kat » July 25th, 2010, 10:30 am

Hi all, my guy is currently working for a company that makes smart meters. He said that the guidelines he sees all say that if it is safe to use your cell phone around your device, it is safe to have or be near a smart meter.

PS. As I understand it, these smart meters are everywhere across the country, not just in CA. I am going to move this into the main forum so others can join into the conversation.
~Kat - Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
-That which does not kill us can really mess up our hair!
-Having one near life experience after another.

Intro post: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 5694#p5694

TravelingMan

Post by TravelingMan » July 25th, 2010, 10:48 am

Was on a flight several months ago with a guy that sells these systems. Seems like the system payback was about 18-24 months. They are definitely getting popular. I wouldn't think there would be any interference. As I understood it, the unit was basically an RFID chip with an interrogation unit that was able to interrogate from a distance.

BillB

Post by BillB » July 25th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Have had one of these meters for electric for about 6 months with no problems. The meter is less than 6 feet from where I sit while watching the boob tube. No problems so far. Will be getting one for natural gas also in the next month. It will be on the far end of our house, so should not be a problem either. Good question though.

BillB