It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:49 pm

3000% increase in PVCs 

Post 3000% increase in PVCs
Hi all - I haven't been on in awhile. I am going to post and then try to catch up...

I went in to have my device interrogated and received some interesting news:

1. An event was recorded - My HR went up to 240 for a few seconds one day (glad it wasn't longer. I corrected before any therapy was delivered)
2. I was only in afib for 44 seconds the whole year! WOO HOO!
3. This made me feel a little crazy though - Ok, so if I wasn't in afib why am I feeling symptoms all the time? No, I haven't written down when I feel anything because then I wouldn't get anything else done, that is how often I feel something weird in my chest. They check my PVCs recorded. At last visit I was experiencing a PVC .3/hour. In the last year?...29. Really? Almost a 3000% increase? It is a relief to hear that that's all it is, but has anyone out there experienced such an increase or simply experience that many PVCs/hour? Interested in the cause and the solution. I suspect my cardio may up my beta blocker. Waiting to hear.

I am also trying to figure out why I have been absurdly emotional since the appointment on Tuesday. Hmmmm. That's a whole other topic I guess.

Thanks!

Implant date - November 17, 2010
Medtronic Secura
Conditions - LQTS3 (can someone explain to me how sudden death is a symptom?)
Atrial fibrillation

March 15th, 2012, 6:53 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Post Re: 3000% increase in PVCs
If I understand the math, that would be one PVC every couple of minutes. Pretty sure that it would make me wonder and possibly get a little emotional. Do you think there are any issues with stress, caffeine or hormones? Did the doctor have an explanation? Last time I had an interrogation I called the doctors nurse with a couple of questions. She was very helpful. Might be worth a call.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3&p=74917#p74917

March 15th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Profile E-mail

Yes, your math is correct. I have PVCs to spare. I feel constantly on edge - like I just about to slip into afib at any moment. I was a little bummed that my home monitoring wasn't configured (else I could have learned about this a lot earlier, but then again I didn't go in and ask).

We talked about stress, caffeine and alcohol. All of which I consume. However, I did eradicate both caffeine and alcohol for large chunks of the past year (weeks and months at a time) and there were no PVC gaps in the interrogation. Hmmmmm.

I actually didn't meet with my EP, I met with my clinic nurse. She put a note into my cardiologist with her idea of increasing my beta, so I am waiting to hear. I will call over there shortly if I don't get a call.

Medtronic Secura
Atrial fibrillation

March 15th, 2012, 8:26 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin/Mod

Jennifer,

My PVC count on my old ICD was somewhere around 350,800 for it's almost 6 years life, many multiform... concerned? Not really- have had them all my life and I am sure you remember my history with A-Fib. Do the math.

Remember: PVC's are a funny thing. When in multiples, it can very much feel as A-Fib is rearing it's ugly miserable head, but not the case. Are they harmless, I guess so as the doctors say. Is it a sign of anything? I am sure with an ICD, the possibility that it might be leading to something is subjective..... I would ask my cardio.

Summary- I wouldn't put a lot of stock into those numbers unless they are increasing as yours are AND causing a major life change for you. Perhaps you are hitting the decaf coffee heavier, maybe Diet more diet coke, or even a change in lifestyle can cause increase PVC's, including stress. I would say the bottom line is talk to your cardio and if he says "you're fine" then so be it. PVC's don't have rhyme or reason, they just happen to some people.

I do understand how they can make you think about why they are increasing they also can cause you to be lightheaded (like the A-Fib coming on....) I know... I did the same thing, so my advice comes from experience. :)

Round One: ICD implanted Feb. 2006: Medtronic Intrinsic, 2 leads- St.Jude 1388tc (Atrial), 6947 Medtronic Sprint Quattro Secure (RV/SVC).....
Round Two: July 17 2011, meet Medtronic Virtuoso 2 DR- same leads, cleaner scar.
5 shocks whoooo hoooo!

Image Run Matilda, Run!

March 15th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Thanks Mark!

When I saw your number I busted out my calculator and came up with 254,040 in one year. Holy PVCs Batman!! (No, it's not a pissing contest, I was just curious) If they are benign and I am fine then whatevs...it's just the feeling them that is disturbing. Emotionally, I think that I was feeling that it was all in my head - psycho somatic and whatnot. In a screwed up sorta way I feel relieved that at least they were recorded. I know that sounds perverse, but I imagine all us heart people understand.

Hopefully I can get them to calm down a bit because they ARE distracting and unwelcome. However, knowing that I don't need to brace myself every other minute for afib...I am already tolerating them much easier. Knowledge IS power!

Thanks for your words and encouragement.

Medtronic Secura
Atrial fibrillation

March 15th, 2012, 11:42 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

I seem to have PVC's every 1-2 minutes. Like Mark, I have learned to live with them as I have had them most of my life. Having an ICD now makes them less worrisome.

Biotronik Lumax 540 VR-T
Implant Date May 26th 2011
Hereditary Cardiomyopathy
Family History of SCD
Asthma

Medications:
Carvedilol 18.75 mg 2x Daily
Lisinopril 2.5 mg 1x Daily
Spironolactone 25 mg 1x Daily
Furosemide 20 mg 1x Daily
ASA 81 mg 1x Daily
Symbicort 160/4.5 2x Daily

Supplements:
Alive Women's Multi Vitamin
iFlora Multi Probiotic
CoQ10
L-Carnitine
Vitamin D-3

tahdahh

March 18th, 2012, 4:52 pm
Profile E-mail

Well, now that I KNOW they are only PVCs the anxiety will decrease, I'm sure.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks it's odd to go from .3/hour to 29/hour. I can't find online instances where people experience such a sudden and sustained increase. I guess it just is what it is. Shrug.

Medtronic Secura
Atrial fibrillation

March 18th, 2012, 9:23 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Site Admin/Mod

grebflow wrote:
Well, now that I KNOW they are only PVCs the anxiety will decrease, I'm sure.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks it's odd to go from .3/hour to 29/hour.

No, no no...if you WEREN'T concerned about it, we would think there was something wrong. You have to remember Jennifer, I have had PVC's all my life, or so I think I have. I never felt them until I got my ICD (and had my SCD) and it took me a bit of time to get used to them, as you will.

Remember, that which does not kill us, only makes us stronger. You will find in time that they will not have the affect on you that they do now- stay positive and try to not think about them- it worked for me. :)

Round One: ICD implanted Feb. 2006: Medtronic Intrinsic, 2 leads- St.Jude 1388tc (Atrial), 6947 Medtronic Sprint Quattro Secure (RV/SVC).....
Round Two: July 17 2011, meet Medtronic Virtuoso 2 DR- same leads, cleaner scar.
5 shocks whoooo hoooo!

Image Run Matilda, Run!

March 18th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Thanks, Mark. I've had quite the feeling sorry for myself week. Not usually my style which makes me even more messed up.

I called my primary doctor to have him run some blood tests to see what else could be wrong (increase in the PVCs, joint pain, general lethargy). He isn't available for 3 weeks so I emailed another doctor to have her order the tests. Hoping I can have some labs run and results in by the time my appointment rolls around in 3 weeks.

Medtronic Secura
Atrial fibrillation

March 19th, 2012, 12:20 am
Profile E-mail YIM

Hi Jennifer,
I didn't mean to make you feel bad, that was not my intention, and I am truly sorry.
I like Mark have grown so used to mine, but if my PVC's would step up like yours did and I started to have them constantly, they would bother me also, and I would want to get to the root of the problem and find out why, which brings me to this. It is good that you are getting blood work done. I DO have an increase in my PVC's when my iron level gets low. I not only hereditary cardiomyopathy, but I also inhereited iron defeincency amemia. When my red blood cell count and ferritin dips below normal I get PVC's constantly. It may be something else hence the blood work. Anemia for me makes my heart go nuts as it has to work harder. I then have to go to the cancer center and have an IV infusion of Iron Dextran. Then a few days later I start feeling better. I have this problem at least once a year and see the doctor at the cancer center 3 times a year for a checkup. If you could, have them check your ferritin level also.

Biotronik Lumax 540 VR-T
Implant Date May 26th 2011
Hereditary Cardiomyopathy
Family History of SCD
Asthma

Medications:
Carvedilol 18.75 mg 2x Daily
Lisinopril 2.5 mg 1x Daily
Spironolactone 25 mg 1x Daily
Furosemide 20 mg 1x Daily
ASA 81 mg 1x Daily
Symbicort 160/4.5 2x Daily

Supplements:
Alive Women's Multi Vitamin
iFlora Multi Probiotic
CoQ10
L-Carnitine
Vitamin D-3

tahdahh

March 19th, 2012, 9:01 am
Profile E-mail

Thanks for the tip attagirl. It helps learning from others - I can suggest what the doctors take a look at and maybe I can find some answers. Your iron deficiency issues do NOT sound like fun. I am sorry you have to endure that.

You didn't make me feel bad. I've been feeling bad all on my own! I really really appreciate your input and apologize if I failed to communicate that. The more I hear what other people are going through, the more I realize how small my issues are.

Medtronic Secura
Atrial fibrillation

March 19th, 2012, 1:25 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

So how do your PVC’s make you feel? I really never noticed my PVC’s but since I had the VT storm and was shocked in October. I have 3 to 10 per hour, not as many as you but they do bother me. Makes me feel like I stop breathing and loose strength for the second or so that it last.

Joe

March 19th, 2012, 3:28 pm
Profile E-mail

How do they make me feel (without the emotional undertow of anxiety that I am going into afib)?

It's a disruption, feels like a missed beat and a moment of weakness. Now that I know they are benign and not harmful, I think I am less stressed about them. Although today I was sitting at lunch, felt one and got flushed and light-headed. Perhaps a couple in a row?

VT Storm? Eeeek. I can live with PVCs =/

Medtronic Secura
Atrial fibrillation

March 19th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Profile E-mail YIM