It is currently November 25th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Donating your ICD 

Post Donating your ICD
That's assuming you no longer have a need for it. I believe I posted something like this last year, but since I misplace everything and I was rechecking my "living will," I thought I'd do it again. The University of Michigan is working on a program to reuse/redistribute pacemakers and ICD's. Their website (including some legal BS forms) is at:
http://www.myheartyourheart.org

While I know some of us may feel "we can take it with us," there may be others who don't feel that way and would like to properly "recycle." I suspect there are other, similar and hopefully worthwhile programs around. I do have an email out to Michigan about 'replacement ICD's' as I have one now needing a battery and no idea what my EP intends to do with it. Maybe there will be some lucky German Shepard.

February 22nd, 2011, 8:31 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Donating your ICD
Having been in the electronics industry, and robotics since the invention of the vacuum tube, I have some concerns about the integrity of reused ICD's, regardless of the testing and evaluation they may do on them after extraction. Not to mention the real possibility I'd get all of your electronic mail

http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9897&p=91375

February 22nd, 2011, 9:58 pm

I too, would not be a fan of used ICD's, but I believe the used ICD concept here has them ending up in places like Somalia. Not that Somalia is a bad place, it's just they do not have Obamacare and most of the non pirate residents can not pay street price for an ICD. I've also heard there are veterinary schools with designs on using them in dogs. Once of course when this happens, the Chinese will offer knock off versions where we'll all be able to buy our next ones at Walmarts.

My thinking is you can't burn them and they are not readily biodegradable, so why not give some researchers something to do with their time.

February 22nd, 2011, 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail

I think my 9 month old ICD would have been perfect to donate to someone! It did deliver many therapies, but it still had a good battery life left. I was "told" it would be melted.

When I saw my EP last week, he told me about a lady who had similar VT to mine, except hers was faster (she had syncope), where as I never passed out. He said they believe she was successfully ablated, but to be on the safe side (she's 33 and a single Mom), they implanted an ICD for one year, as a precaution. If it all works out, that would be another ICD that would be great to reuse.

St Jude ICD and Lead Implanted Feb.20/09
8 Shock Storm March 21/09
Lead Dislodged, so Replaced with Medtronic Lead June 16/09
ICD and Lead Explanted Nov.23/09
Medtronic Reveal XT (Cardiac Monitor) Implanted Jan.25/10...explanted and new one reinserted on July 21/11

Cardiac Monitor explanted Sept.9/14

February 22nd, 2011, 11:10 pm
Profile E-mail

My buddy's dad is a mortician... (yikes!) He said standard procedure was to remove ICDs and Pacemakers from the body, if an autospy is done, that is. I'm not sure if that's done everywhere or not but I'm not sure we can keep them after we're gone...?

LQTS,PSVT, VT
SCA X 3 June 2011, X2 Sept, Oct '11 SCA X2 Nov/Dec '11
VT, VF June 2011, Oct '11, Nov '11, Dec '11
Cardiogenic Syncope-6 times Nov '10
Class IA Indications for ICD...waiting on red tape
Metoprolol 350 mg/day
Procan SR (Procainamide...scary stuff)

February 23rd, 2011, 9:05 am
Profile E-mail

Many times it is noted on this board that some doctors sometime need help in explaining things to you. See if the following email exchange is an example:

Quote:
mrag: I am familiar with your program associated with funeral directors. I am curious though about units that are being replaced because the 'battery' is low (ERI). What happens with those units?

doctor: Nothing. They are sent to recycling centers where some are sent to the manufacturers. Thanks for your interest.
----------------
mrag: Why can't you put a battery in them and use those? Just curious. Thanks.

doctor: It is not that easy...

Perhaps for future reference and if you truly want to help with this donation program, do not leave the planet here, before having your battery replaced.

A bit OT, but an interesting read on the background of ICD's, ignore the title:
http://www.submityourarticle.com/articl ... -72426.php

February 23rd, 2011, 9:33 am
Profile E-mail

Hi.
This is a very important post for me .
As you may know, I am from Mexico and here patients do not get an icd unless they pay for it, plus the cost of the hospital, doctor charges, etc. But it is also truth that there are donation programs in hospitals, This means that only a few of those who need an icd would get it, and several others would die because they will never get it.
I have an ICD who was donated by medtronic to the hospital. But in those years I have heard of several cases of people who was not so lucky.
In fact when my battery goes off I will be again in the same position.
Some patients are requested to stay in hospital because they are very sick but do not have an available device and the donation process only ocurrs in some month of the year. Doctors want to help them but there are no devices, so they used some external devices to keep people alive but they do suffer a lot waiting for a donated device.
So please let me tell you that We can live of donated pacemakers or defibrilations for as long as there are donors.
Some of you may want to help us. Please if you want you can visit my page
to help us
http://www.paginasprodigy.com.mx/marin5 ... 75157.html
And if you want to know more please find out wich is the best way to use your device after being removed, there are so many people waiting for them.
Thank you very much for reading this post.
donahi.

February 23rd, 2011, 2:09 pm

Hi again.
I forgot to mention that the michigan project is still waiting for fda aproval to use the pacemakers or defibrilators , but here in mexico due to the lack of money , that is something that we have been doing for the last 20 years.
In fact the doctor who founded the area of arrhythmias in my hospital started his proyect by going to the mortuary homes and then taking the device, do some sterilization and implanting them.
thanks again.

February 23rd, 2011, 2:16 pm

donahi wrote:
Hi.
As you may know, I am from Mexico and here patients do not get an icd unless they pay for it, plus the cost of the hospital, doctor charges, etc. But it is also truth that there are donation programs in hospitals, This means that only a few of those who need an icd would get it, and several others would die because they will never get it.

donahi.

Donahi ~ There are a few groups who refurbish used ICD's and pacemakers to donate to other countries where laws do not prohibit. One group is based in Billings Montana, named "Heart Too Heart". Additionally, there is a group named "Heartbeat International" who take monetary donations and provide new pacemakers and ICDs to the needy. Additionally, all manufacturers donate a percentage of new devices for the needy. I'm sorry I don't have `contact information for these groups.

http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9897&p=91375

February 23rd, 2011, 3:33 pm

Based on a google search:
http://www.theheart.org/article/995109.do
should lead you to all the organizations mentioned above.

February 23rd, 2011, 5:21 pm
Profile E-mail

hey guys.
thank you very very much for the information about those organizataions, I knew that the manufacturers donate devices, cause that is exactly how hospitals work in my country but the other organizations and their work I did not know.
thank you for letting me know.
hugs.
donahi

February 25th, 2011, 12:00 am

[quote="donahi"]Hi.
I have an ICD who was donated by medtronic to the hospital. But in those years I have heard of several cases of people who was not so lucky.
quote]
I'm in the US and this is happening to me, still no ICD. Long and scary story :(

LQTS,PSVT, VT
SCA X 3 June 2011, X2 Sept, Oct '11 SCA X2 Nov/Dec '11
VT, VF June 2011, Oct '11, Nov '11, Dec '11
Cardiogenic Syncope-6 times Nov '10
Class IA Indications for ICD...waiting on red tape
Metoprolol 350 mg/day
Procan SR (Procainamide...scary stuff)

February 25th, 2011, 3:01 am
Profile E-mail

In 1998 I asked my Cardio if the ICDs were reusable. She said 'Yes, they were usually donated to Vets for dogs, etc.
When I had my second ICD implanted I asked if she wanted my old one. She told me that they had stopped re-using them, so I kept my Blabbermouth 1.

Eve & Blabbermouth 111

February 25th, 2011, 3:49 am
Profile E-mail