.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.INTRODUCTION THREAD.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

Tuckerc1

Re: .·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.INTRODUCTION THREAD.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.

Post by Tuckerc1 » June 21st, 2018, 12:25 pm

Hello All. My ICD was implanted a little less than 2 weeks ago due to a sudden episode of Vfib. I'm 46 years old and had a mitral valve replacement in 2017 due to rheumatic disease. The whole situation is very scary and I'm not sure what to do or expect. The doctors said that I could go about my normal activities as I felt comfortable but none of this seems normal to me. I have a constant, still painful, reminder that I'm not really ok. I was hesitant to even look for a support group as I am a very private person. I'm going to try it anyway :). Thanks for having me.

folkfanrich

Post by folkfanrich » July 9th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Hi, all,

I'm new to the ICD world having had my first overnight hospital stay in my 67 years. With all the new lifestyle changes needed, and knowing how well we humans handle change, I thought some support might be helpful. So, then I encountered this forum using Google.

I had a three-minute bout of syncope 2 weeks ago at breakfast, surrounded by my wife and three good friends who had stayed over following our 7th annual solstice goin up the country lake jam session here in the Driftless Region of Wisconsin. I felt a bit funny, blinked and then the folks sitting across from me had disappeared - they were holding me up in the chair asking if I was okay. Long story short, I left the hospital an hour and a half away five days later knowing my arteries were clear, my EF was 30% and with a new Medtronics ICD.

My wife snapped this photo the day I got home. Moxie the tortie kitty and me.
Me and moxie.jpg
Looking forward to participating in this forum and learning much from all of you. Feeling like I had a serious wake-up call, grateful for a new lease on life, believing the Holy Spirit has more work for me, and maybe she likes what I've been doing so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peace, y'all!

Rich

Sagslim59

Post by Sagslim59 » September 30th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Hello from Michigan
I received my ICD in January of this year.
I’ve known of my Afib for several years, but apparently did not take seriously. Well, on January 7th I had a SCA at our church service and fractured my skull in the episode.
The next 12 days many tests were done and an ablation performed.
Well, up until two Fridays ago all was well
That morning at 8 I received my first ever jolt from device and 10 minutes later a really big Zap. I never went unconscious but was advised to visit the ER and was released on Saturday
I’m hoping joining this group will help me move forward with not feeling to anxious about the future
I’ve attached a couple of pics of my wife and two grandsons..
Next to my faith in Jesus, they are my reason to stay healthy and on earth for as long as I’m called to.
I must add that I work from home 75% of time...my arrest has a 85% mortality rate...I am so grateful for this divine serendipity
Ss59
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sumlady

Post by sumlady » October 21st, 2018, 2:33 pm

I'm Anne and my husband Don received his new ICD in early September. We both have many concerns and would love to connect with others that have had theirs for a longer period of time. We are used to traveling, by car, plane and cruise ship but are now concerned about cruise ship travel out of the county. We are contemplating a cruise to Iceland but both of us are not sure this is safe. Anyone with travel experiences would be appreciated.

kcu11en

Post by kcu11en » November 4th, 2018, 6:39 am

Hi
Thank you for adding me.
I have congestive heart failure and just had an ICD in plant about a week now.
Still very swollen and sore.
Hoping that I don't get shocked right away.
A little nervous about that.
I'm happy you have this group.
I'm sure I will have lots of questions.
Kathy

Woodrow1

Post by Woodrow1 » November 16th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Dave from the land of ice and snow.. Erie, PA. I've had a Medtronic ICD for 1 year now. I'm 56 years old. Have VT, No shocks yet. Still on many medications. So happy to have found a support group to lean on. Most of my issues seem to be psychological from having heart problems, the implant and medications. That was my 1St medical problem and hospital visit EVER. Enough for now THANKS! Looking forward to future discussions'

nloster

Post by nloster » November 20th, 2018, 4:30 am

Hello ICD friends,

I am happy to be a part of this forum. I am a 62 year old retired American living in Paris. In September I was on a golf trip in Ireland with 10 friends and having a lovely dinner. All the sudden I had a VT (did not know that's what it was at the time) and passed out. I was unconscious for 15 minutes and was saved by a nurse and off duty paramedic who happen to be having dinner and knew what to do. I was rushed to the ER nearby and over the next 12 hours had 3 more VTs but this time it was caught on the monitor so they knew exactly the cause.

12 days later I went home with a St. Jude ICD and an angio with 2 stents and lots of medication. No recurrence thank god and life is returning to normal. I even played golf again last week! The doctor's best guess is that this was caused by an evolution of a scar in my LV from an MI from 23 years ago. Anyone ever hear of that pattern?

cnmorris

Post by cnmorris » December 9th, 2018, 7:15 pm

<t>Here is try #2 at this. First one disappeared. I have been a member for several years, just very active. I am on my 4th ICD in 8 years. even had one device recalled. St Jude. About a month ago, I had a M&M size bump come up on an incision line from the earlier devices. When I mentioned it to the Cardio PA, she discovered, when she knocked the top off, that she could see my leads. Well that changed everything. Had to bring in a cardiac surgeon to remove the old device, the leads and a bunch of scar tissue. <br/>
Bottom line, I ended up with a hole in my chest and a wound vac. I had to wear a life vest while waiting for a replacement device. Home health comes 2-3 times a week to change the dressing and I also had 14 days of home IV antibiotics. <br/>
I have the new device, on the right side of my chest. Still have the hole in my chest which is healing slowly. Could have something to do with the face that I have had 70 birthdays. <br/>
Noel<br/>
Arkansas</t>

jwong_csp

Post by jwong_csp » December 19th, 2018, 5:06 pm

<t>Greetings ICD Support Group: I've been reading some of the other post and I was very surprised how many young people have an ICD implanted. As you might have guessed, I'm an older (64 year old) guy. Married to the same wonderful wife for 38 years. We have 2 fantastic daughters and 2 grand children ages 2 years old and 2 weeks old. <br/>
<br/>
In my younger years I enjoyed training and competing in Sprint Triathlons. (swim/bike/run) Like 500 meter swim / 20k bike / 10k run. When my finish time was getting slower I thought I was out of condition. <br/>
<br/>
I was 40 years old when diagnosed with CHF (Congestive Heart Failure). That was 24 years ago. My EF (Ejection Fraction) was in the upper 30's when first diagnosed. It has slowly gotten worse over the years. About 5 years ago my Cardiologist suggested I get a ICD implanted in me, because my EF was down to 33%. Below 35% is when they recommend an ICD. I declined the ICD because I didn't have any symptoms. I only felt out of breath when exerting myself during a race or training for a race. All those years of training made a difference. I'm still able to last the entire,15 minute Cardio stress test. It is getting harder. But I'm determined to give it my all. <br/>
<br/>
Recently, my brother-in-law had a triple by-pass surgery. He was admitted into the hospital after he went to the emergency room complaining of not feeling well. A cousin also had triple by-pass surgery after feeling some chest pain while walking his dog. Both of these near miss heart attacks happened recently. After those 2 fellows nearly died, I decided it was time for an ICD. It is now 27%. As expected my condition is slowly getting worse. I don't want to push my luck any further. I've read other blogs where people are able to function with an EF lower than mine.

Reading many of the post has helped me over come my fear of what life is like after the ICD is implanted. Thanks Group.

WayneS

Post by WayneS » February 14th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Thanks for the add. USCG Veteran, 56 years old, married for 25. Lead Production Electrician for a defense contractor, avid motorcyclist, RC crawler hobbyist.

No ICD, yet.

A little history...went to the allergist in Feb 2018 for and allergy and asthma test. Allergic to everything, no asthma, but, asthma like symptoms.

While listening to my chest, the doctor asked me how long I had AFIB. Didn't know up until then. I was asymptomatic. X-ray of lungs show some spots. A CT scan and lymph node biopsy followed. No cancer, but I had Sarcoidosis of the lungs and lymph nodes. Many, many blood test looking for a cause, all negative.

Went to the cardiologist, yup AFIB. Nuclear stress test and all the other things that went along with it. No blockages, enlargement or other defects. No issues other than the AFIB. Was put on Verapamil and Eliquis, made arrangement for a cardioversion. Took two shocks to get sinus rhythm, only lasted two weeks. Took a little time to think about the next step, catheter ablation. Had the ablation done at the end of Sept 2018. Been in a solid sinus rhythm ever since. Started with the pulmonologist to treat the sarcoidosis Oct 1 2018. Got started with more blood tests. Had my next appt yesterday. Pt scan of my heart/lungs and lung function test to start. Visit with doc. Everything looks good to the doc initially, but the radiologist report hadn't gotten done yet. Set up next visit for August, went home.

Got a call in the evening, diagnosis, cardiac sarcoidosis. Told me to contact the electrophysiologist about getting an ICD. I see my cardiologist in March, will discuss then. Now I have to see an ENT and Ophthalmologist to look for Sarc in my eyes, ears, vocal chords, etc.

The ICD thing was a kick in butt, so I went in search of ICD info, which led me to this site. Hoping that the ICD doesn't cost me a job. My life is electrical voltages from 12 vdc to 600 vac. Testing voltages to around 4 Kv. Magnetic and RF energy fields. Would hate to get a hit by the ICD while up on a ladder, scissor or articulating lift. I regularly drive forklifts up to 30K lbs. Travel extensively throughout the US working on Air Force bases.

PT scan coming up in April with a calcium fast, then another in August with a sugar, carb and starch fast.

Wayne