Anxiety

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

lkevin

Anxiety

Post by lkevin » January 8th, 2019, 3:55 pm

I recently have several palpitations that are like 140~150 bpm, they were fast but not fast enough to trigger the icd. And I felt really frustrated by this. The device clinic told me my icd didn't record anything because those palpitations weren't in the monitor range. And there aren't much they can do, if I don't feel well, then just go to the ER.

I am really anxious and depressed now. And I feel like after the icd implanted, the doctors have done everything they can and that's the end. I am always nervous to move around, or even move at all, afraid that the next episode can happen anytime. Everytime my heart skipped a beat or I feel something strange, I get extremely nervous and then the heart rate goes up. It's like I am trapped in a endless loop

I want to get help, but the only counseling center here are like impossible to get an appointment, and I don't even know if my situation is bad enough to ask for help.

Leedur

Re: Anxiety

Post by Leedur » January 8th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Ikevin........Fear as you described can't be good for you. I've had the ICD almost 5 years, have been shocked twice and still work at age 70.
My plan is to continue working and make the most of whatever time is left. Your statement "the doctors have done everything they can do and that's the end" doesn't really mean the end of ideas. There are different medications that I've required and consider my current status as stable....at least until the next event.

Not knowing your other physical condition, mobility, age, etc. Are you in a rehab or exercise program? Walking is great. If you are able, regular exercise can make all the difference both physically and mentally. Yes it can be depressing. Years ago, the doctor told me after surgery there was nothing else he could do.....but he didn't say there was nothing else that "I" could do....so I did.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » January 9th, 2019, 8:28 am

id go talk to someone...see if your dr can get you a quick referral...stress and worry cant be helping you...also here in toronto ...dont know about where you are the local hospitals have an emergency mental health crew who will see you thro emergency and refer you off to someone else...its a quicker way at times to see someone..

the longer you sit with this the worse it'll get....good luck
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » January 9th, 2019, 11:36 am

I also recommend seeing some one:

Yes, I do mean a professional counselor who can help you manage your anxieties.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » January 9th, 2019, 1:41 pm

lkevin wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 3:55 pm
I am really anxious and depressed now. And I feel like after the icd implanted, the doctors have done everything they can and that's the end. I am always nervous to move around, or even move at all, afraid that the next episode can happen anytime. Everytime my heart skipped a beat or I feel something strange, I get extremely nervous and then the heart rate goes up.
I know the feeling well. Our so called sympathetic nervous systems are anything but! Each time you feel something you are on the hair trigger of the fight or flight relex thanks to our sympathetic nervous system. Most people get all sorts of thumps and bumps from their hearts but don't notice them. The trouble is we are tuned right into everything our hearts do and your body (that sympathetic nervous system again) reacts before you can even think about it.
lkevin wrote:
It's like I am trapped in a endless loop
Again, I know the feeling well, it is horrible. I found that once I had researched and knew a bit about what was going on with the nervous system it helped quite a lot. I would say that a bit of googling was beneficial for me but the danger of using "Dr.Internet" is that you can end up scaring the crap out of yourself. But kowing how the fight or flight things works helped me.
lkevin wrote:
I want to get help, but the only counseling center here are like impossible to get an appointment, and I don't even know if my situation is bad enough to ask for help.
Yes it is bad enough but it may not help as and when you eventually get an appointment. (Again) I've been through this, in fact am very similar to you although a lot older, and found the counseling was exclusively geared towards the psychological and could not factor in the real and physical symptoms (the palpitations). You of course may be different and may benefit from it.

Remember, you are not alone and there will be a way through this, although you might not be able to see it now.

:big-hug:

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » January 10th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Now before I get carried away here, please describe your golf club set in detail...

So you may not understand that your device has limited memory and cannot record everything that happens. They program it to monitor and record episodes that are important. Palpitations are benign, that is to say not important as they are annoying but not dangerous, so they ignore those especially since they were below the threshold usually set at 180bpm or higher. So stop working yourself up, you've got a pocket protector that, should the worst happen, take over and deliver you from evil with a loving Jesus Jolt to shock you back into the land of the living. And befofre the term Jesus Jolt scares the bejesus out of you, it's no big deal. It's an instantaneous thump and done. Kind of like when I say something inappropriate in my wife's presence and she gives me a swift smack.

There are a host of members who've been through hell and back multiple times, having been resurrected from the dead over and over, and we can attest you are making yourself crazy over nothing. Good Lord, read some of OzChrissy's travails if you want to be scared, The woman was a copper and has fought every terminal disease known to mankind and come out on top. Then there's TruckerRon who's a truck driving itinerant preacher, can you imagine the stories he can share? Or even Mykidsmom's stories, that woman frightens us all, but then it's likely due to other factors, she's a mean one, but I digress...

There's a little exercise I do when my mind gets carried away with life...Maybe it'll work for you. Raise your right hand in the air to head height with the palm facing the side of your face. Now swing 5 - 10 times forcefully back and fro. Then repeat the procedure with the left hand. Now don't you feel stupid listening to me? Why do you think I wear a helmet?

No I'm not mocking you, well maybe a little, but I'm trying to get you to recognize this ain't the end of the world, you have a frickin device implanted that will ensure that's true. Stop worrying about every little thing and enjoy life.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » January 11th, 2019, 8:58 am

Im certain your post made him feel so comfy and cozy and cared for Robo....You have just the right amount of empathy there.......... lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx

IKevin...another option on the shrink...would be......you chose Robo as your personal Mentor.....hes got a great soft touch and loads of empathy lol...terror alone would make you feel better in no time.. :big-hug:
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

nloster

Post by nloster » January 15th, 2019, 3:04 am

Ikevin,

I know how you feel because that is exactly where I was a few months ago. The doctors have done what they know how to do and the rest is up to you. Let me share with you my process for normalizing my life after such an event. I have done this twice in my life, once after a heart attack at age 39 (23 years ago) and again after a ventricular storm resulting in an ICD implant (4 months ago).

After a reasonable period of well-earned self-pity, I sought to understand in as much detail as my curious mind would require, to feel that I have a good understanding. This meant asking doctors question after question, not accepting generalities for explanations. I would do internet research (not available 23 years ago) to get more details. I did psychological counseling with a therapist that specialized in recoveries from heart issues. In my case this was 5 one hour sessions. The purpose was to understand my condition emotionally and to help me formulate a sustainable outlook on my life.

Technical understanding was important to me because it was the only way I could sort out the irrelevant from the relevant sensations within my body, especially at night in bed when anxiety can be high due to a lack of distractions.
I got some instruction on breathing exercises from a yoga instructor with great success. Now I do 20 min of focused breathing per day at 12 breaths per minute. It is very relaxing and clears the mind wonderfully.

Once I had all this information, I developed a routine that I would use if ever I “felt something” and needed to relax. This was usually in bed when I might have trouble sleeping because of breathing difficulties. I would sit up in bed with 2 pillows for support and do my breathing exercise (sometimes in the middle of the night) and I would eventually fall asleep. I found that adequate sleep is the key to feeling normal again.

I reviewed this program with my cardiologist and my electrophysiologist and they both said, “you have done all you need to do, now go fishing or play golf and stop thinking about your heart”. Since I am an avid golfer I decided to follow doctors’ orders and now I play 3 times per week. Strangely I never feel any sensations in my heart when I am playing golf. Imagine that!

I hope that helps.