Post Op Fever

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

rugmankc

Post Op Fever

Post by rugmankc » December 15th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Would like some real world feedback--

I had a Boston Scientific S-ICD implanted yesterday morning. On the left side, one lead. I was left on Plavix and Aspirin for surgery. The doctor replaced original bandage this morning, not the clear patches right over the site. Had some seepage, moderate. Looked at the new bandages tonight and just a little seepage.

Am on Tramanol pain med. Most pain is when getting up or twisting, leaning in any direction. Even a small amount of movement. It is at the Implant site.

Assume these things are normal. How long should seepage continue as I am on Plavix/Aspirin?

More importantly I developed this evening a slight fever. 101.1 then 101.2 a couple hours later. Will continue to monitor. Is a low grade fever not uncommon for a day or two after surgery? Did not have the fever in hospital.

Thanks for any opinions----

Dale

Re: Post Op Fever

Post by Dale » December 15th, 2018, 11:02 pm

Hello,
I was told to call my doctor if I were to run a fever. I did have pain when moving but that should get better with time. (Took me about 6 weeks as I toss and turn in my sleep.)
I am taking Warfin, do to afib, and I had one corner of the incision start to leak do to moving in my sleep. Cleaned up and sealed it with liquid bandage. When I saw the nurse they started me on an antibiotic and suggested a ice pack to take down the swelling.
Good luck
MI in 1992, quad bypass in 97, 5 stents,
14% PVC'S, EF < 20% when in Afib low 30's after cardoversion.

rugmankc

Post by rugmankc » December 17th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Thanks Dale

Actually surgery issues are deminishing and moving around quite well. Fever gone--for now

I think my biggest issue was the Tramanol (Ultram) which can cause a fever and my other issue severe constipation. Did not get any collace at discharge . But, wife had some from recent hospital stay. I have had numerous surgeries followed by constipation. This one worse. I think Tramanol at 50mg is a heavy narcotic.

My only real pain is when leaning in the direction of the implant. Hopefully that will improve as the tissue heals around it.

Thanks Again

rugmankc

Post by rugmankc » December 27th, 2018, 10:10 pm

After 2 weeks still a little groggy in head and vision a little off. Not scheduled for doctor visit yet. But, saw nurse today to look at stitches and get home monitor unit.

Nurse thought I was a little more swollen than should be and maybe there was some extra fluid still around implant. Thought there could be a slight infection in fluid that may be causing my crappy feeling. Will go back to see doctor next Thursday. If extra fluid, they will drain and if still feeling bad, will do a blood test.

The implant area still feels a little numb to touch. Also, there are two small, light reddish circles with white in center. These are over the implant area and the skin there is a little flaky. Not sure if just dry skin and/or irritation from shirt rubbing it.

Otherwise very little pain. No pain meds needed. Haven't really needed them at all.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » December 28th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Rugman bad choice to wait another week. You need to go to ER and get that infection under control...now. rest assured I know of what I speak.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

rugmankc

Post by rugmankc » December 30th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Thanks ROBO Pop,

Not getting notifications of replies to my thread. Settings correct in Notifications.

I will get it checked out, blood tests etc. No fever or any other bad feelings other than the light headed feeling with slightly off vision.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » December 30th, 2018, 5:47 pm

The red rings with white spot in the middle is a dead give away. My fever and other issues happened along later in the adventure, right before the incision exploded and spewed pus half way across the state
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » December 31st, 2018, 10:09 am

Me too......the white spots and red ring are a dead giveaway......but also there shouldnt be fluid under the incision either......get thee to the drs...and good luck....
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

rugmankc

Post by rugmankc » December 31st, 2018, 10:20 am

Thanks I will update

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » January 5th, 2019, 5:46 pm

so whats the prognosis? did you go to the dr???

rugmankc

Post by rugmankc » January 10th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Sorry guys,

I am set up for email notifications for replies to this thread. But, get none.

Blood tests showed no infection. Been on Zyvox for 8 days. 8 to go. Scars are healing very nicely. Still have bruising discoloration over implant. But, it is lightening up and getting smaller. Dr wants to see me next week again to monitor bruising. Saw him yesterday for blood test/culture results. All OK. I think he believes there is still some blood pooling. But, is not concerned atm. The skin is still numb over implant from some nerves being cut/damaged. He said the skin where he had to put the implant was thin at that area. Not a lot of fat. So, implant may be a little more noticeable and maybe a contributing factor to the slower than normal healing. Not, sure on all that. I am not a thin person. Just at that spot I guess. I have no other recovery info from others to judge how I am doing. I seem to be able to do most anything i want. Still have to work within my other surgery limitations. So, I lift no more than 25lbs anyway.

My only issue, as long as bruising heals, is the light headed feeling and slight eyesight loss. Kinda like waking up in morning till you get your eyes working or washed up. This may not be related to the surgery or implant. If my body was saying no to it, I would think I would have more serious issues. Gonna wait until I am off Zyvox for a week and if not better will see and eye doctor then my Primary Care Dr.

Thanks

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » January 11th, 2019, 10:35 am

Being a rational guy (who preaches to patients at a mental hospital each Sunday) I looked up Zyvox online and noted this:
Call your doctor at once if you have:

vision problems, changes in color vision;
So, did your vision act up before or after you started Zyvox?
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

rugmankc

Post by rugmankc » January 12th, 2019, 9:00 pm

The vision and lightheaded feeling started well before antibiotics. It is not that i can't see or read small print. More like waking up in the morning and a little cloudy like cataracts. Which I do have, just not bad enough for medicare to pay for. It is hard to explain. But, not a loss of vision.

My last antibiotic was taken this morning. So, hoping any side effects of it, if any, will be gone in a day or two.

Still concerned the bruising is still there. The 13th is a month. And, is about 35 to 40% better than right after surgery. Improving, but slowly.

I see the Dr next Wednesday. So, if not better will have to look at other possibilities on the crappy feeling.

Not sure if my body could just be taking a little longer to adjust to implant.

Thanks

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » January 13th, 2019, 7:58 am

Im sorry to interrupt the ethos of the thread..

BUT

"by TruckerRon » January 11th, 2019, 11:35 am
Being a rational guy (who preaches to patients at a mental hospital each Sunday) I looked up Zyvox online and noted this:"

lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx

luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs » January 14th, 2019, 7:59 am

Rugmankc, are you on any other meds? Based on what you said, I don't think you are but...I had trouble with a few because they were dropping my BP too low and causing dizziness and definitely a groggy feeling. Just thought I'd mention it. They can keep adjusting them until you are comfortable with it.
Joanne (aka Jo)