Health insurance Disability

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

kcu11en

Health insurance Disability

Post by kcu11en » November 4th, 2018, 7:42 am

Hi
I'm not sure if this topic is allowed
I just had in plant a week ago and I had well sense insurance
I am on disability.
My husband is retiring and will get ssc and so now they took away my health
insurance saying I make too much
Can barely pay bills as it is
If this is allowed can you please tell me who I would contact
Disability said I can reapply buy I don't know how this can help since they
already said make too much
Marketplace has contacted me but I'm not sure who they are
Thank you
Kathy

InSync

Re: Health insurance Disability

Post by InSync » November 4th, 2018, 8:25 am

A little more information would be helpful.
Were you receiving disability payments from someone?
Has Social Security Administration of a state agency already given you a determination of disability?
Is your husband getting SS disability, too? Or is his retirement?
Do you have dependent children?
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

kcu11en

Post by kcu11en » November 4th, 2018, 9:53 am

I have been receiving Disability benefits from ssc my husband will be receiving retirement from ssc
I have no dependant children
Thank you

Grammaram

Post by Grammaram » November 4th, 2018, 2:11 pm

How long have you been on Social Security Disability? If I remember right, I had a 3 year wait to be eligible for Medicare. If you are eligible, you will be covered with Part A, but will have to sign up for Part B, which is basically doctor visits and outpatient services. If you elect to have Part B, the cost will be automatically deducted from your monthly payment. Then you could choose to enroll in one of the many supplemental programs out there that (supposedly) pick up the parts that Medicare doesn’t pay.
Your first step would be to find out if you are eligible for Medicare and do your research from there if it is an option for you. (There are lots of folks here that are more knowledgeable than I concerning Medicare! Hopefully they’ll chime in!) I really know nothing about current insurance marketplaces; hope you can find something that works for you!

Margaret wavhi
Congenital Heart Disease - Tetralogy of Fallot - repaired Sept. 1966
Medtronic Evera S DR Implanted May 22,2014

luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs » November 5th, 2018, 8:49 am

Kathy, this is a good question. Pretty much the only topic not allowed are political ones. Unfortunately, I'm not a big help in this area but wanted to suggest some resource options. My cardiologist's office has a social worker available to help with questions like this, maybe yours has something similar. Or depending on your age, do you have a local senior services resource center?

Questions:
Is your disability related to the congestive heart failure?
How did you obtain your Well Sense insurance to begin with? Do you have an agent that is available to you? Did Well Sense actually drop you, or you just don't receive the income credit towards it anymore? If you got it through the Marketplace, that may be the issue. The Marketplace shows you different health insurance options and costs, but you do have to go through several pages of detailed income information so your quotes are accurate. I do suggest contacting an agent in your case. There is a deadline for the Marketplace enrollment period, I believe it is Dec 15th.
Is Medicare or Medicaid on option?

Health insurance is extremely important, so I would check into getting some help right away.

Also, I noticed on your intro that you mentioned being worried about shocks. I too have congestive heart failure and the main reason for my ICD was the pacing. So I don't even think about the shock issue at all. I'm just happy to have the pacing. Maybe yours is a similar case?

Good luck and please keep asking questions.
Joanne (aka Jo)

kcu11en

Post by kcu11en » November 5th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Thank you for replying
I have called my doctor's office asking if they could send something for now saying I need to keep it open
I got my health insurance from health and human services
I have only been on disability since last November
So I believe it is Medicaid
I am on it after I had hip replacement
They said my back well is pretty gone getting cortisone shots don't want more surgery yet

That's when they also found out more about my congestive heart failure
Marketplace has contacted me me also
I'm going to fill out those forms
I will ask about a social worker too that's a great idea

InSync

Post by InSync » November 5th, 2018, 3:58 pm

The marketplace will contact you if your Medicaid coverage ends. It's an automatic process.
When you qualified for Medicaid, were you receiving social security benefits for yourself or has that started since you qualified? Sometimes, people qualify after getting the disability determination, but as soon as the actual SS payment starts, it puts them over the income limit.
Was your husband working when you qualified? If he was working then, will his SS benefit be more than when he was working? Is he full retirement age or taking early retirement?

I think the ultimate issue is that however it happened, your income increased above the Medicaid eligibility standard in your state. You don't qualify for Medicare until you've been disabled for 2 years unless you have one of the compassionate conditions.....they are very limited. You can google them. The only option is probably the marketplace. Your portion of the premium is based on income.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....