Welcome Sumlady (Anne & Don)

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

ricatlga

Welcome Sumlady (Anne & Don)

Post by ricatlga » October 21st, 2018, 3:22 pm

I'm Anne and my husband Don received his new ICD in early September. We both have many concerns and would love to connect with others that have had theirs for a longer period of time. We are used to traveling, by car, plane and cruise ship but are now concerned about cruise ship travel out of the county. We are contemplating a cruise to Iceland but both of us are not sure this is safe. Anyone with travel experiences would be appreciated.
Welcome Anne and Don -
This is the place to be. One of the things that will be helpful is to post Don's reason for getting the ICD. As you read through the messages, you'll see that we have a wide variety of conditions that lead to our ICD implants. Mine was just a simple arrhythmia where they could not actually determine a specific cause. Someone on the group with the same type of condition may be able to give you a better idea of anything to consider before making travel plans.

Regards,
Raymund
Replaced ICD 8/30/18 with Medtronic Visia AF SureScan MRI ICD
Ablation May 2012 - Sotalol discontinued in September
VF unknown cause 1/19/2010, Medtronic Secura-VR 1-22-10
Mitral valve repair Dec 2007

Leedur

Re: Welcome Sumlady (Anne & Don)

Post by Leedur » October 21st, 2018, 8:50 pm

Welcome Ann & Don. Lots of experience in this group for sure. I don't have anything to add regarding traveling experience other than I was traveling (driving) down the street when I received my first shock (therapy). Please ignore the few trouble makers that can't resist bringing political arguments into the mix.

luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs » October 22nd, 2018, 7:23 am

Hi Anne & Don,

Are you worried about Don's health traveling or just the issues with getting through security? Getting through security is non issue since they are so common now. Please post more info. Welcome to the group.
Joanne (aka Jo)

garya

Post by garya » October 22nd, 2018, 12:45 pm

Why wouldn't you go on a cruise? Wasn't the whole idea of getting a device to continue to stay alive and enjoy life?

Assuming you are true Americans, if you do decide to go soon, make sure you vote. ;-) And while in Iceland perhaps you can report back on their immigration requirements. Along with passports, suggest you take birth certificates and baptismal records and other documents to make sure you can get back in. Just precautionary of course.

tomrostron

Post by tomrostron » October 24th, 2018, 6:03 am

Welcome Ann and Don. I had my first icd implanted in 2002. I live in England, and when I fly I carry around a European patient identity card, given to me when I was implanted. I just show it at security at the airport. I am then allowed to walk around the metal detetector and they allow me to have a pat down by hand on the other side. Joe. ps. ( never been on a cruise)

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » October 24th, 2018, 6:51 am

welcome guys....dont let the ICD impede your life in any way...the only thing i wont do since getting mine is go on a really high fast roller coaster, Ive done it..and the impact was so bad i thought i was going one direction and the icd was heading off another thro my skin..but then again that was just me you could probably be ok.
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » October 24th, 2018, 2:44 pm

relax, cruise ships have bathrooms. Nothing to worry about. In fact you should worry more about traveling by car, ie will there be rest stops with bathrooms spaced strategically 20 minutes apart on the route.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider » October 24th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Is it my imagination that there are far less people signing up for ICD? And then the ones that do, seem to make one post and then disappear into the night.

Lot less birthdays than before also. Might make sense. For myself I only mark a birthday every other year now.

Stella Blue

Post by Stella Blue » October 25th, 2018, 12:08 am

I agree with the rest of the group - go for it! I flew from my home in Asia to Florida a couple of months after getting my ICD - a 20 hour trip. I recall being extremely nervous in advance, but it was a complete nonevent and since then I've traveled all over the world with no issues at all. I don't have any cruise ship experience specifically, but maybe you can check with the cruise company what sort of medical support they have on board, to help put your mind at ease. As regards to airport scanning machines, I have a CRT-D and am not pacemaker-dependent, so I just walk through whatever is available without even mentioning that I have a pacemaker. Never an issue.

Good lucky and happy travels!

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » October 25th, 2018, 8:03 am

I love cruising, and in my opinion it is the safest way to travel when you have heart disease. I have been on 3 cruises since my device was inserted, one of them was a month after I finished chemo and had the device. I think of myself as safer than everyone else on the boat, unless they have an ICD. When you book into ports, just let the staff know that you have an ICD and they will pat you down. Pick activities on shore that you know you can handle. Take all your meds in original packaging and make sure you have enough for the duration. Check with your doc before you go to find out what you can take on the off chance you get seasick. Eat well, always plenty of variety on the ships so go for it. Don't overdo the cocktails, but if you must, ENJOY.

The beauty of a cruise is that you can do literally almost what you want, get up when you want, eat when you want or just laze around all day if you want. No pressure, complete relaxation and staff to look after you 24/7.

I am planning one for next year during our winter, (I am in Australia) and enjoying looking at where I can go. But unlike you, I will do the Pacific Islands, just have to decide how long I want to go.

There is also medical facilities on board, I don't know how your system over there works, but I would only get travel insurance for accidental stuff. Honestly you are extremely safe with your device. If it fires whilst away, so what, you will still be alive to shake it off and get back to the relaxation and enjoyment of it all. After all, that is what our devices are for, to keep us safe and fix us when something goes wrong.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.