OT-LOWER BACK PAIN

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

Ozchrissy

OT-LOWER BACK PAIN

Post by Ozchrissy » September 24th, 2018, 4:10 am

OK I know I have been on about this before, but this is driving me crazy. I have had a pretty charmed life as far as pain has gone, but at the moment I am in constant pain and there doesn't seem any way that what the docs have recommended for me is working at the moment.

I am seeing the GP again tomorrow and if he cannot come up with a solution I will be getting another doc to look at it for me. It comes up as arthritis, but I have arthritis in other parts of my body, and the pain involved with this is the worst I have had. I am virtually bought to tears in the morning until the pain meds kick in. (Panadol Osteo) I cannot take NSAIDS as we all probably know is not recommended for hearts.

Has anyone else had this issue as their heart has deteriorated or had this sort of pain from arthritis.

This stuff with my back/hips/pelvis has only been going on for the past few months, but has progressively deteriorated. I think I will go mad if it doesn't stop. I know I am a sook, but this time it is really hurties and I find it hard to get relief. It even wakes me up at night, and in the morning I am like a 150 year old moving due to the pain.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

mykidsmom

Re: OT-LOWER BACK PAIN

Post by mykidsmom » September 24th, 2018, 6:54 am

Oh chrissy im so sorry to hear about your pain..its good awful..and this constant back pain is terrible..(ive had it for years) i wrote it off as being part of the lupus pains..the arthritis.....thing is the only semi relief i could get was by taking NASIDS which impacted the kidneys...anyways last year when i lost the ability to walk mostly because of hip pain i got sent for Xrays by the slew of new drs i have and in january had to get stents in my groin because i had a blockage which they said was causing most of the hip groin pain...I went kicking and screaming for the surgery but low and behold..it worked...the hip pain was gone and i was able to move the aul bod.....but still had the back pain and now because i really only had this back pain it seemed worse so another trip for xrays and ultra sounds.....and the news was...id had a back injury a long time ago..(i dont remember it being honest cos ive been accident prone all my life) but the results were..due to the injury id slipped two discs and with the constant years of rubbing worn out the padding between them..so my option was...back surgery but with no guarantee of success.....the possibility was id again lose the ability to walk or worse lol...so im still not 100% sure the diagnosis is correct because there are times i dont actually have the pain.....

anyways im still left with the only option of NASIDS for pain relieve for the back and the autoimmune....(did i mention the drs think now i dont actually have lupus...I have some autoimmune thing called Connective Tissue disorder) Get your family dr to run a series of tests and xrays Chris and at least you should know what your dealing with..... also have you tried heating pads??? I use that cream Voltersan (it contains NASIDS too)

Good luck....Hope you get some relief....getting to the 40s isnt fun chrissie
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » September 24th, 2018, 9:11 am

Thanks Helen I don't feel so alone now with the pain It does suck though. Will really push for pain relief tomorrow. Took some hippy stuff tonight, and it did relieve the pain somewhat, but the high I experienced is something that I would not be able to deal with if I had to take it regularly for pain relief. Am on panadol osteo all day, and although I do have some in the cupboard, I am not going to be brave enough to take iboprofen. Will check that one out tomorrow.

Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 24th, 2018, 11:03 am

I seem to recall my wife had excruciating back pain when she was pregnant...could that explain why I saw mrag hiding while I read this topic?

I'm sorry to hear you are in such agony Chrissy, I was just laid up for 3 weeks with my back. Mine an old basketball injury. Hopefully the doctors will be able to diagnose the problem and get you some pain relief. Just be thankful you don't live in the states where pain relief has become a bad word and doctors are afraid to prescribe medication for it. Good luck, I do hope you get some relief soon. :big-hug:
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Leedur

Post by Leedur » September 24th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Chrissy, Sorry you are suffering with back pain. Early 2014 at the time I was getting the ICD, I was also having severe lower back and hip pain. X-rays, bone scan, CT scan and nerve tests at neurologist. Orthopedic doctor said bone spurs, stenosis, degenerative discs, etc and arthritis. Any and all of which can affect nerves and cause pain. Opted for Physical Therapy and thank God, the pain ended for over 4 years now. The skeletal structure just wears out with age. There are many claims to supplements as cures and I am sure some might help but not a cure. Sad to say but we just have to live with much of this. Anything that works for you and doesn't cause some other problem....go for it.

Melissa

Post by Melissa » September 25th, 2018, 7:07 pm

No solutions but as another person with a bad back, I definitely feel and know your pain. I "throw my back out" at least once every two years and sometimes more than once in a year. It always takes 6 weeks to 2 months to get over it and lots and lots of stretching and babying it. Mine is likely caused by degeneration of the discs in my lower back due to the radiation that I had as a 9 year old, 36 years ago. Although I am caught in a catch 22 and can't prove that because my ICD keeps me from having an MRI. lmao4dx If only it was really funny. One late term cancer treatment effect (heart failure) keeps me from accurately diagnosing another late term cancer treatment effect (bad back). Such is life. Just happy to be here 36 years later!
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day, aldactone 25mg/day. Second ICD implanted 3/18, also Boston Scientific CRT-D

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » September 26th, 2018, 8:36 pm

Thanks everyone, and Melissa I did not have radiation so I cannot blame that. I got the RIGHT diagnosis at last. After the bone scan it shows up osetoarthritis in my spine. I saw the xray and even I can see the damage. The scenario is the same as you Melissa, nerve and muscle strain. I have been allowed to take NSAIDS at the moment, together with paracetamol and also a gell that I apply to my back. Am also set up to see a physiotherapist, so that will help as well.

Have taken it very easy over the last couple of days, and with the meds and the gel, I am beginning to feel human again. I now have to realize that I cannot move heavy potplants, bend down to repot plants, carry heavy boxes etc. etc. OK I know the pain hit on these occasions worse than ever, but as I am a determined old bag I just kept going. I will now enlist the help of others when these things need to be done, and it is SPRING over here, so I have lots of jobs to do in the garden.

Thanks for all you comments, and I now get the giggles when I think of how my Doctors jumped to the previous conclusion with my diagnosis. Why oh Why did they not go down the arthritis path from the beginning, and why did they jump to Bone Cancer so quickly. My cardiologist asking when I last saw my oncologist, saying it was possibly bone cancer and then walking me to the door of his office, gently holding my arm, telling me not to do any exercise as I could break a bone, will stick in my mind for ever. All that stress for nothing, ok I have to manage this issue, but thousands of others do as well, and it is not life threatening. Luckily I don't see him till December, so will have forgotten all about this by then, and he can concentrate on my HEART, and not play the oncologist.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » September 30th, 2018, 8:23 am

I hope you get something for the pain chrissie..its not really life threatening per se but its very debilitating..and intrusive on your life...Ive spent periods of time being unable to walk because of it...and i find this swing in the medical world to hold back on giving Pain relief is nothing short of cruel....we dont all become addicted or pop pills like smarties...I literally had to throw a major fit in the drs office to get pain relief during the winter.....there was so much going on i went to the emergency dept for help and they injected me with a double dose of street drugs because they couldnt prescribe TWO oxys to get me to the family dr the next day....
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

InSync

Post by InSync » October 4th, 2018, 9:55 pm

All through 2017 I had horrific back pain. I also had sciatic pain. I tried everything from needling (which was amazing), yoga, physical therapy, chiropractor (though I think they might be quacks), I even tried a few weeks of pain meds. It got to the point that I began to consider that death could be a reasonable treatment. It took forever for my GP to agree to send me to a pain management doc. I couldn't have an MRI, but did get a CAT scan. I had degenerative disks and one disk that slipped forward. In April, I finally got an epidural steroid injection and another about a month later. NO pain since. I struggled to tolerate it for a year and it was gone in an instant.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

Jeanneinca

Post by Jeanneinca » October 5th, 2018, 12:16 am

I have to avoid a number of food triggers to keep from having a major flare up of pain and inflammation with my arthritis.

Check out what foods to avoid to prevent inflammation of arthritis. A good list of which foods to avoid is on https://www.activebeat.com/diet-nutriti ... -to-eat/2/ and on

In the Kitchen with Arthritis: Foods to Avoid

Processed foods. Avoid processed foods such as baked goods and prepackaged meals and snacks. ...
Sugar. ...
Red meat and fried foods. ...
Refined grains. ...
Cheese and high-fat dairy. ...
Certain oils. ...
Learn more:

In the Kitchen with Arthritis: Foods to Avoid - Arthritis-health
https://www.arthritis-health.com/blog/k ... oods-avoid

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » October 5th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Thank you all for your advice. I am pretty good at the moment, have stopped the NSAIDS and just using the cream and the Panadol Osteo and it seems to have settled down. I have looked at the diet restrictions that you mentioned Jeannie, and thank you, I will adjust my food. My biggest issue is that I am on Warfarin so I do have the food restrictions there also, and at the moment have a low Iron count so have been trying to get at least 3 meals of red meat in a week, not a big fan of beef, so it will not be hard for me to try and find a better substitute. I wonder if Lamb and Pork have a similar iron factor, so will do my research there as well. I very rarely have processed foods, been a cook from scratch girl for a while now because of the salt content.