O/T Best sellers.! Book club anyone???

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

mykidsmom

O/T Best sellers.! Book club anyone???

Post by mykidsmom » September 20th, 2018, 10:24 am

Maybe we should start a bookclub here.....Im sure many of us still remember how to read....
I decided to increase my knowledge and got two new books this week...

One is Cravings.....Hungry for more.....chrissie Tiegans newest cookbook......i might learn to cook something from it..im hoping for a lota Thai recipes

Two is....Fear ...Donald trump in the white house.....a pretty decent comedy and fun read...(specially if you dont live in the us.)

what are you reading??
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

TruckerRon

Re: O/T Best sellers.! Book club anyone???

Post by TruckerRon » September 20th, 2018, 11:05 am

I'm reading all the topics/posts on this site.
punisher
I wish I lived closer to you so I could sample your new culinary efforts and could show you the right way to fix gyoza. Indian and Japanese foods are my favorites.

It's nice to see Bob Woodward branching off into fiction to round off his career. Have you read his amazing account in Veil of sneaking past hospital staff and family members to somehow pull off an interview with former CIA director William Casey who'd been in a coma for several days before dying...

I prefer for my fiction to be labeled as such, not as somehow nonfiction.

Speaking of fiction, I've recently decided it's time to reread Tolkien's works. That'll keep me busy for the rest of the year!
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

abas

Post by abas » September 20th, 2018, 12:08 pm

A book club might be a bit narrow for us here. How about you add tv and movie recommendations from Netflix or Amazon in addition to books? Just a thought. I can start with recommending Jack Ryan. It's on Amazon and a bit like Homeland. A Tom Clancy story, spies, middle east, etc.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » September 20th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Hey id go with this too.....Ive probably exhausted every series known to man and best on Netflix and the other box thingy....so i love getting recommendations.....

Im going to have a look at Jack Ryan...last time i tried it i couldnt get feeds on it..but i hear its pretty awesome..

Have you Seen Ozack?? Id totally recommend it...we binged on season 1 & 2 and are now sitting on the edge of our chairs waiting for season 3...
I find im probably more inclined lately to look for series from the Scandinavian countries and they seem to be putting a lota netflix series out...my favorites are probably drama..spies..middle eastern stuff too...Ive been watching the latest stephen king stuff ...Mr mercedes....and the other one..hmmm cant remember the name of it...the 2nd series of mr mercedes i put on notice last night..its so fricking unbelievable im not sure i want to ever watch it again..Oh castlerock is the name of the other one.......and last night i just saw another episode...im done with that too lol..

Indian foods are my Forte......I was Vegetarian for donkeys years and became one of the totally unliked vegans for almost 13 lol...so looking for foods that had taste and also were glutenfree cooking indian dishes became my way of life..one of the better books i got years ago on indian dishes was by Madhur Jaffrey.......over the years i picked up some more of her books but always seemed to revert back to the first book because the methods of using and mixing spices were so well outlined in it....Id recommend any of her books..

This is the 3rd ..maybe 4th book of woodwards ive read...but its the closest of any ive seen of his come to come near to fiction ..probably cos its unreal lol...

I hope this thread take off..it would be nice to pick up some recommendations reading and viewing wise dancee

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 20th, 2018, 1:31 pm

ethnic cuisine served, at least stateside, is rarely an accurate representation of the authentic food found in the country of origin. I have yet to have Thai, Mexican, Vietnamese, Malay or any other ethnic foods stateside that are worth the effort. I prefer to just dream up mine own concoctions, flavored to my liking and...the best part there's zero calories, fat, sodium and other hurtful things in my cooking.

so anybody read any good palms lately? :duh: and before you offer, I don't have enough time to read somebodyelseskidsmom's palm. I'm sure it'd be long and drawn out drama. lmao4dx

gotta love me dogkissessss
TruckerRon wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 11:05 am
It's nice to see Bob Woodward branching off into fiction to round off his career...
now you know you're antagonizing and baiting someone who has a proclivity toward political argument...don't make me put you in time out punisher
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » September 20th, 2018, 3:14 pm

well youve been going to the wrong places..."american versions of eithnic food is generally to use an irish expression....poop or shite for the real irish) ya need to go to the real deal place...or move to NY lol...

I dont read palms either...nor tea leaves....Im open to ghosts though..

"has a proclivity toward political argument".....no way.........really????

Leah

Post by Leah » September 20th, 2018, 4:11 pm

I’m always reading. I loved to read since I was a kid and still do. My family loves to read too but my brother not so much. Authors: Jodi Picoult.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » September 21st, 2018, 10:10 am

ROBO Pop wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 1:31 pm
TruckerRon wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 11:05 am
It's nice to see Bob Woodward branching off into fiction to round off his career...
now you know you're antagonizing and baiting someone who has a proclivity toward political argument...don't make me put you in time out punisher
This topic is clearly labeled OT, so he's welcome to respond here as long as we all avoid flame wars over authors, genres, and personalities.
:cool:
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » September 22nd, 2018, 7:44 pm

I have just finished OZARK on NetFlix and like Helen, can't wait for the next series. Also loved the Handmaids Tale, and I have just finished watching, from the beginning again, Bates Motel. Now that is one series I really appreciated bingeing on as I had seen the odd episode, but never seen the whole thing, and by starting at the beginning I really got hooked. Crazy Norman and his Crazy Mum's adventures kept be riveted from beginning to end.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » September 23rd, 2018, 12:23 am

So glad you liked Ozark chrissie...isnt it addictive lol...and its got a really good cast..Im still trying to get feeds for Jack Ryan..but so far no luck..

Im right in the middle of "fear" i'll do a blurp about it when im finished..this week has been to use a nice expression....the week from bloomin hell lol..so didnt have all that much time..

and tomorrow Im cooking from Chrissie Tiegans Book...this steak thing with Miso butter....if it works out and tastes ok i'll post the recipe here for you all...

Ive read pretty much every book by Jodi Picoult up until a couple of years ago Leah....I think i read so many of hers back to back i felt i could write the next one myself ..or strangle her lol.....might retry another one though im sure shes written more.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » September 23rd, 2018, 10:35 pm

Just have to Comment on Jack Ryan......recommended by ABAS......finally got it on feed...tried all the usual channels but then realized we have Amazon Prime...so got it on that.......Wish wed found it earlier in the evening......we watched 2 episodes and were Hooked...

thanks for the recommendation Abas.....i'll add mine to yours...its addictive, fast and fulla excitement...we are really enjoying it..

BOOK....ok bookwise i got a bit side tracted...I found a kids series that i thought the 6 year old might be interested in...."dogMan" by Dav Pilkey...(he wrote Captain Underpants......Generally i read thro a couple of the books ..firstly to see if theyre suitable and would hold the interest of the age group im buying for cos i love giving the kids books but its a bit of a lost cause if theyre not something that would grab their interest......and this one is totally idea for Ben whos 6 (going on 36 lol) so i picked up a couple of the books and im going to start reading them with him tomorrow...this might be interesting if youve a kids birthday or even christmas coming up .......

Updates tomorrow on the dinner recipe....

Melissa

Post by Melissa » September 25th, 2018, 7:15 pm

abas wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 12:08 pm
A book club might be a bit narrow for us here. How about you add tv and movie recommendations from Netflix or Amazon in addition to books? Just a thought. I can start with recommending Jack Ryan. It's on Amazon and a bit like Homeland. A Tom Clancy story, spies, middle east, etc.
I definitely want to watch the Jack Ryan show! It's on my list!

As for books, right now I am reading "Victoria" which is historical fiction about Queen Victoria and it is an excellent book. Before that I read "When Breath Becomes Air" a memoir of a surgeon dying from lung cancer at 36 years old. Definitely a good read.
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day, aldactone 25mg/day. Second ICD implanted 3/18, also Boston Scientific CRT-D

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 27th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Funny I'm a voracious reader consumming upward of 40 novels a year and really enjoy a well written mystery or detective story, but in the past 3 months haven't even opened a book or my Kindle.

I saw the new Jack Ryan movie and was unimpressed and won't waste time on another. I thought it was the same old tired formulae.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » September 27th, 2018, 7:15 pm

My goodness, what a timely thread! I just finished my latest read. It's a little 50 pager called "Spine Surgery Guidebook" written by the good folks at Saint Luke's - Marion Bloch Neuroscience Institute. A riveting read chocked full of exciting info about prepping for, checking in, prepping for surgery, surgery, recovery, treatment while in hospital, going home and rehab. As you can see it contains several plot twists yet all comes together in a cohesive manner. A little scary in places but overall leads you to think your life could become better.

Guess I'll find out Nov. 8th. Hopefully a "little" cervical and lumbar work.

If anyone wants the links to download your very own copy just let me know. :sick030:

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » September 29th, 2018, 9:04 am

Robo..its a Jack ryan movie..its a series...I saw the movie too and wasnt impressed..(wasnt that nutter tom cruise in it?) anyways the series has a decent cast.....and id recommend it..

Funny you should mention the kindle...Ive read off kindles for years and years...but about a year ago something happened and id sooner have hot needles in my eyeballs than read another book on kindle..so im back to old fashioned paper books and i love it...Id never have said it at the time..but i think the kindle actually robbed me of some enjoyment in reading...but dont forget ive suffered some brain damage with the cardiac arrests im sure.

So has anyone got any recommendations for stuff on netflicks or the android boxes??? cant seem to settle into watching anything....and im sure its because we already saw everything lol..