So who is ordering the Apple Watch?

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Re: So who is ordering the Apple Watch?

Post by mrag » September 17th, 2018, 1:15 pm

The time here is around 2:14 PM and I assume no one wants to chat about Kavanaugh. Enjoy your day.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » September 17th, 2018, 1:39 pm

mrag, if you really want to talk about American politics, there are a lot of sites for that purpose. Please use one of them and quit tempting me. When you stick to our mutually interesting topics (heart health, treatments, ICDs, etc.), you're a valuable contributor to our board.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » September 17th, 2018, 2:39 pm

My sincerest apologies Ron. Since no one had posted crap about anything remotely worthwhile or interesting in some time, I thought I'd test the waters for what could possibly doom any of us here with pre existing conditions, monetary issues and/or the ability for us or or offspring to breathe air to survive. Might you share where you have made arrangements in the event this site suddenly shuts down?
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 17th, 2018, 3:23 pm

See, it takes me asking the time to get Trucker and Rag back together in a warm embrace. and I don't even get paid for this public service
mrag wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 1:15 pm
The time here is around 2:14 PM and I assume no one wants to chat about Kavanaugh. Enjoy your day.
wait, your post says it was "posted at 11:15am but you said it was 2:14 pm WTF (Withhold The Fone) you trying to make me late? Don't make me buy a watch. :duh:
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 17th, 2018, 3:36 pm

mrag wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 2:39 pm
My sincerest apologies Ron. Since no one had posted crap about anything remotely worthwhile or interesting in some time, I thought I'd test the waters for what could possibly doom any of us here with pre existing conditions, monetary issues and/or the ability for us or or offspring to breathe air to survive. Might you share where you have made arrangements in the event this site suddenly shuts down?
Bored? http://www.packburroracing.com/

golf2
Broken Heart

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » September 17th, 2018, 4:59 pm

My attention has been drawn to a local event that's driven my daughter's in-laws out of their home in Woodland Hills UT since last Friday and a health issue that's apparently affecting me, internal shingles.

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/ ... 2a6eb.html

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321217.php

The current shingles vaccination is for the standard-issue shingles, the varicella zoster virus (VZV). Lucky me, I apparently have a different one, the zoster sine herpete (ZSH) virus. I'm trying to arrange for testing to confirm the diagnosis.

Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 17th, 2018, 5:22 pm

can't do anything the easy way can we? I did read where this new version of shingles is suspected to be caused by over exposure to a certain political meme roaming the internet lmao4dx
Broken Heart

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » September 17th, 2018, 5:54 pm

TruckerRon wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 4:59 pm
My attention has been drawn to a local event that's driven my daughter's in-laws out of their home in Woodland Hills UT since last Friday and a health issue that's apparently affecting me, internal shingles.

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/ ... 2a6eb.html

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321217.php

The current shingles vaccination is for the standard-issue shingles, the varicella zoster virus (VZV). Lucky me, I apparently have a different one, the zoster sine herpete (ZSH) virus. I'm trying to arrange for testing to confirm the diagnosis.

wait...ffs i had this in the winter....you poor little sausage ron..its awful.....I had so many tests and they still couldnt figure out what the heck it was ...i think i mentioned i did get some blisters but not in places expected..(shurrup peanut gallery) soles of feet....fingers etc etc..and when one blister burst i got a foot infection that almost resulted in my having an amputation..when i was finally starting to feel better...they decided oh.....you did have internal shingles..I ended up popping Oxy for weeks to keep the pain level tolerable. and with the nerve pain and triggers i couldnt even sleep in bed...how are you managing..i hope theyve got something they can give you....seems if theyd agreed i did have shingles there was something i could have got that might have helped..but then ...i didnt get diagnosed till too late.....good luck angel..hope you feel better soon...
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » September 17th, 2018, 9:28 pm

mykidsmom wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 5:54 pm
wait...ffs i had this in the winter....you poor little sausage ron..its awful.....I had so many tests and they still couldnt figure out what the heck it was ...i think i mentioned i did get some blisters but not in places expected..(shurrup peanut gallery) soles of feet....fingers etc etc..and when one blister burst i got a foot infection that almost resulted in my having an amputation..when i was finally starting to feel better...they decided oh.....you did have internal shingles..I ended up popping Oxy for weeks to keep the pain level tolerable. and with the nerve pain and triggers i couldnt even sleep in bed...how are you managing..i hope theyve got something they can give you....seems if theyd agreed i did have shingles there was something i could have got that might have helped..but then ...i didnt get diagnosed till too late.....good luck angel..hope you feel better soon...
I immediately suspected it had something to do with shingles since I'd just had the vaccine a few days earlier. The pharmacist and the LPN both swore it had to be something else. I persisted in exploring the Internet and found that article, so I went back in today and was told (hold on to your hats, skeptics!) that I was right! The PA I saw tonight recognized it and showed me how the affected area was following a major nerve, with the pain radiating outward from it. So, I'm taking my first antiviral pill as soon as I finish my dinner.

Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » September 18th, 2018, 6:50 am

Oh my god im so happy they pinned it down so fast for you...and i hear those antivirals really do help a lot....This is top most i have to say the worst ever...and i hope you got some decent pain meds.....the only thing that worked for me was as i said Oxy and being honest i really didnt give a tinkers curse if i ended up addicted or not..i just wanted the pain gone it was relentless....Hope your feeling well soon Ron but remember take it easy..really all you should do is take the meds and rest up...hugs.
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 18th, 2018, 10:10 am

How did we stray from Apple watches to shingles virus? Oh wait, hold the phone (apple iphone of course). You guys are saying apples cause shingles...duh :duh:
Broken Heart

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » September 18th, 2018, 10:36 am

Heart monitors, however they come are not really a good thing.

Afterall, for those of us with ICD's, what are we going to do anyway if the thing picks up some squiffy heart activity?

Nothing, it'll either pass or the ICD will intervene either by pacing or a zap. Many of us will be unconsious in a heap on the floor by that time anyway so won't be watching the watch. Besides, nothing alerts you more to the fact that your heart is yet again trying to kill you when it is actually trying to kill you awith all hose lovely doomy gloomy feelings just before.

The only purpose I can think of of having one of these watches, or any heart monitor, is anxiety. If you don't already have anxiety then you probably soon will have.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » September 18th, 2018, 11:33 am

Colin Pearson wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 10:36 am
Heart monitors, however they come are not really a good thing...
..The only purpose I can think of of having one of these watches, or any heart monitor, is anxiety. If you don't already have anxiety then you probably soon will have.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Agreed. We can only process so much information in a given moment. To have a "drama queen" on my wrist would be asking for disaster as my mind would leap from one "what if" scenario to another!

Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » September 18th, 2018, 11:58 am

Well said Colin. :::)

According to media reports I've seen, there is real concern these watches will cause a sort of mass hysteria and demand for medical assistance unnecessarily. Like you I feel I'll know if I'm dead and in between there and here stands my spiffy CRT-D. it's all good so why stress, it just causes shingles.
Broken Heart

DowneasTTer

Post by DowneasTTer » September 18th, 2018, 3:24 pm

For me the Apple Watch is a fantastic tool. So much so you can count me in on buying the new series 4. In fact I preordered one for myself and another for my wife last Friday. Just waiting for it to arrive. Mine will replace my current series 3 one and my wife’’s will replace her Fitbit. I have owned an Apple Watch since the 1st generation and its features have been incorporated into my life since the beginning. Here are a few things that the watch helps with in my dally life:

1) Exercise tracking, In a typical day we will do a 3 mile walk around the neighborhood, a 30 or so mile bike ride on our local rail trail and about an hour’s swim in our pool (3 seasons here in Florida). The wash keeps track of that and the data is imported to our health insurance carrier’s cash benefit program (which we max out each year at the tune of $250.00 each)….nice benefit. The info is incorporated into our iPhone’s Health app along with my daily weight and blood pressure which can be send to my doctor’s @ UF in Gainesville.

2) Many of the stores we use accept ApplePay via the watch so I don’t always have my wallet (not any $$$ in it anyway) with me.

3) I leave my phone at home instead of carrying it around as I can answer and call via the watch (this is an added cost both on the watch and my cell phone carrier but worth it as carrying a phone everywhere is just not my style.

4) Using the Maps app in the car the watch gives visual and taping for turns, roads, etc. As you get familiar with the watch you don’t need to take you eyes off the road to look at the phone screen for directions.

5) Weather updates and weather alerts. Here in FL when it rains it rains. The app I use on my watch works great at giving us a 15 minute or so warning of bad weather….. That gives as enough time to get to one of the shelters along the bike trail. Has come in very handy

6) Create and answer texts and read emails on the watch

7) News updates with the Cnn app

8) During the night especially one with I might have had a little too much salt during the day I have to visit Robo’s office lmao4dx . Instead of turning on the light or risking walking into a wall I simply turn on the flashlight app on the watch.

9) One of the neatest features we use is the camera app. On trips we can take the phone and use the watch as the viewfinder and stutter. Works great.

10) I use the timer for grilling supper..

11) Oh and of course you can use it as a watch… I personally have the Mickey Mouse face with weather, date and activity goal settings.

BTW: At my annual checkup with my heart doc yesterday I asked him if he knew about the health features of the series 4 watch. His answer was yes he had read about it. Wes very worried about the ECG function for most folks and he had preordered one as well. :)
Idiopathic CHF diagnosed Nov. 1 2011
EF at 15-20 % currently 20-25 % (May 2013)
Medtronic Evera S VR implanted Dec. 3 2013
Carvedilol 12.5mg 2Xday, Lisinopril 40mg, Furosemide 20mg as needed