Energy after battery replacement

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

blueraider

Energy after battery replacement

Post by blueraider » July 12th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Quick questions. Battery replacement tomorrow morning.
1) it’s been since 6/28 that my battery indicator sounded. Alarm indicator Turned off by EP on 7/3 and scheduled for replacement. Since then daily I seem to be getting more and more sluggish and generally really tired. Is this common until replacement of battery?

2) once replaced, will I have my energy and zing back immediately or how long before I feel like my old self? My leads were tested and it’s just the unit to be replaced.

Thanks everyone and appreciate the prayers regarding tomorrow.

ROBO Pop

Re: Energy after battery replacement

Post by ROBO Pop » July 12th, 2018, 1:56 pm

If you are paced then yes, as the battery runs down you can get tired and sluggish. and yeah when the device is replaced the energy should come back.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » July 12th, 2018, 2:35 pm

as robo said....my device doesnt pace me..so i noticed a big fat nothing when i got mine done a few weeks ago.....well cept the gadget is smaller...
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

blueraider

Post by blueraider » July 12th, 2018, 2:54 pm

I am paced. Thank you! So good to know...

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » July 12th, 2018, 6:16 pm

This is an interesting topic. Lets see if I have this right, your paced, is this full time or only for bradycardia? Based off Robo's reply I assume that you have noticed a major drop in your heart rate? Surely you check your BP and HR every day. I've never heard of an ICD function slowing down with a depleting battery. Lithium batteries provide full power until they die. Regardless of the current voltage.

I see your getting replaced 3 weeks after alarm. Most people go 3 - 6 months. I went 6 months and the doc never mentioned that if I needed shocked that it would only charge half way.

Hope you do feel better. Alan

blueraider

Post by blueraider » July 12th, 2018, 9:03 pm

Alan,
I’m paced 100%. They originally told me I was pacing because of helping the heart function. Prior to my valve surgery, my EF was 13% and we waited 3 months prior to the ICD implantation which at that time the EF was at 30%. My last echo EF was 55% and they said although they couldn’t remove the diagnosid of CHF, they moved me to stage #2 from the original stage 4. Have had the ICD exactly 5 years. No shocks. I don’t know why the scheduled moved me up but my job as a mailman is very strenuous and these last few weeks between the hot weather, the packages, etc—I’m just worn out.

I check my blood pressure —seems same as always. No brachyardia known.
Thank you for the well wishes.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » July 13th, 2018, 9:59 am

when the device battery starts to die, they automatically cut back on functionality of the device to extend life so yeah, pacing can be affected to ensure the battery has max ability to provide a Jesus Jolt if needed.

many insurer's insist the battery go to EOL instead of ERI before they will cover replacement and therefore the battery can quit anytime after that point. The length of life when devices hit those stages are estimates based on averages.
Broken Heart

blueraider

Post by blueraider » July 13th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Robo pop that’s just what dr said almost exactly today.....I. Now the proud owner of Medtronic Claris mri crt-d. No new leads needed. They said the leads I already had are cleared for MRI. Happy about that as several times in past few years I needed mri and couldn’t have one. I already feel better. They’d will release me soon. Thanks everyone.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » July 13th, 2018, 1:38 pm

blueraider wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 1:23 pm
Robo pop that’s just what dr said almost exactly today.....I. Now the proud owner of Medtronic Claris mri crt-d. No new leads needed. They said the leads I already had are cleared for MRI. Happy about that as several times in past few years I needed mri and couldn’t have one. I already feel better. They’d will release me soon. Thanks everyone.
and you thought I was just another pretty face. Congratulations on your new device. Make sure you get an owners manual, they're free and Medtronics provides one with every device. Unfortunately most doctors don't give them to patients
Broken Heart

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » July 13th, 2018, 10:45 pm

I'm really confused on this. According to Medtronic the CRT- ICD (CRT-D) doesn't decrease pacing at ERI, however the CRT-IPG at ERI results in the device switching to VVI pacing at 65 ppm. In this mode, patients may experience loss of cardiac resynchronization therapy and/or loss of AV synchrony. For this reason, the device should be replaced prior to ERI being set.

Either way, I've always thought you have a handsome helmet.

blueraider

Post by blueraider » July 14th, 2018, 6:38 am

Robo pop I did get the manual. Medtronic’s rep was there during the switch. They wouldn’t let me have the old one citing hospital policy. They did show it to me.

Alan, unfortunately i’m no help to your confusion. I don’t know much about technical side of things. The one thing he did say was he tweaked the program/settings so that the energy used to pace my left ventricle was more evenly distributed.

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » July 14th, 2018, 8:19 am

That's OK. People have said I am beyond help for years. I don't have a CRT so I'm just reporting what it says on Medtronic's educational site for physicians (MedtronicAcademy).

I'm glad your feeling better. You know what they say. Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night nor bad heart stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.