Question

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

Leah

Question

Post by Leah » July 6th, 2018, 9:47 pm

Hi All-
Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. I remember when I got my Medtronics ICD replace in 2015 I had gotten some pain pills cuz for the pain. But now I just got a new ICD and leads on June 15th . Dr and nurse told me pain pills are not giving out for this type of operation. All I got was extra strength tynoel every 6 hours. I was told to take 3 of them as needed. Those tynoel pills me help for a couple of days and didn't take them anymore as I didn't need them. I was afraid to ask why the Dr won't give them out. Is it because of the opoids and people are abusing them? Are the Drs very careful about who they give them out too?
Leah

InSync

Re: Question

Post by InSync » July 7th, 2018, 7:21 pm

That could be, Leah. The epidemic of opioid deaths is getting a lot of attention. I don't remember if my doc gave me anything at implant or not. I didn't need it, but don't remember if it was available. Some people have pain, and it is unethical for a doc not to treat pain, so I'm surprised they didn't offer a limited number at least. Maybe if you had called back if the Tylenol didn't work they would have called something in.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » July 7th, 2018, 7:40 pm

I think it's a judgement call by doctors, even before the opioid issue became a hot topic. I've never been offered pain killers for implant or replacement. I know if they were needed I could just call and the Doctor would prescribe some but they aren't offered unless I ask. For that matter, I didn't get any when I was released after open heart surgery either.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

blueraider

Post by blueraider » July 8th, 2018, 7:19 am

Leah, how did replacement go? I’ve got replacement on the 27th.. mine lasted 5 years. Hoping the new one is longer.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » July 8th, 2018, 11:03 am

you got yours a week after me blue.....mine went like a dream..in out done ...no issues.....and im so happy the device is a lot smaller than the one i had and they seemed to place it a lot better, got a better pocket for it......

Leah has hers the week before me...
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

Leah

Post by Leah » July 8th, 2018, 12:29 pm

The told me it was smaller but it’s a little bigger.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » July 8th, 2018, 12:34 pm

has it settled down leah are you ok now???

Leah

Post by Leah » July 8th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Yes it did.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » July 9th, 2018, 5:03 pm

good to hear leah......

DR8828TX

Post by DR8828TX » July 9th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Hello All.

New member here. I am waiting for a new Boston Scientific w/2leads and was just kinda curious. My original was installed back in 2008 and now after 10 years the battery is going low. I would say that in that year my implantation was about $79K. I received a call from Methodist here in Houston and my insurance allowed $141K for the procedure, which left me holding $2500.00 for my 20%. Does this amount really look correct. Just kinda asking.
DR8828TX

InSync

Post by InSync » July 9th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Hi DR8828TX. Welcome!

You might want to repost this question as a new topic. It would likely get more attention.
I had my CRT-D implanted in 2012 and 3 leads were implanted, too. The device cost was $123,000. My total hospital bill was $250,000. I did have to stay an extra day and a night because I had some BP issues.
Insurance didn't pay that much, of course. I don't remember what the contracted amount my insurance paid, but I think I was left with about $1800. Device replacement should require less time in the OR than a new implant.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » July 9th, 2018, 10:11 pm

" I received a call from Methodist here in Houston and my insurance allowed $141K for the procedure, which left me holding $2500.00 for my 20%. Does this amount really look correct."

Welcome - Bad news, 20% of $141,000.00 is $28,200.00. What does $141K "allowed" mean? That sounds about right as the gross amount the hospital would bill the insurance for you to walk away with a shiny new ICD in you. I don't know how your insurance works but I bet their not paying anywhere near that amount. Are you stuck paying 20% of the gross amount or 20% of what the insurance actually pays?

When I had my original implant in 2011 the hospital billed around $73K and insurance paid around $28K for a dual chamber Medtronic ICD.

Hope things work out for you. Alan

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » July 10th, 2018, 7:38 am

oh my god i dont understand these huge amounts or your payments....we have universal health care....my new implant and lead cost me a big fat zippo....

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » July 10th, 2018, 7:45 pm

oh my god i dont understand these huge amounts or your payments....we have universal health care....my new implant and lead cost me a big fat zippo....
Polite people do NOT talk about health insurance or medical costs in the US. No one wants to hear about 600,000 medical bankruptcies a year versus zero in Canada and no one wants to hear why US hospitals have a higher mortality rate at a much higher cost than anywhere else in the world. That all would be considered gauche. Please folks, let us focus on support for the fallen.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » July 11th, 2018, 12:14 pm

ok i wont ask any of these questions although i did wonder....but outa respect...........

BTW it would be illegal here to claim from any more than one insurance coverage policy for the same item....unless in the case of kids with braces then the cost can be split beween moms private coverage and dads...

I cant ask about this either??