Welcome Tuckerc1

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

TruckerRon

Welcome Tuckerc1

Post by TruckerRon » June 21st, 2018, 9:15 pm

Tuckerc1 wrote:
June 21st, 2018, 12:25 pm
Hello All. My ICD was implanted a little less than 2 weeks ago due to a sudden episode of Vfib. I'm 46 years old and had a mitral valve replacement in 2017 due to rheumatic disease. The whole situation is very scary and I'm not sure what to do or expect. The doctors said that I could go about my normal activities as I felt comfortable but none of this seems normal to me. I have a constant, still painful, reminder that I'm not really ok. I was hesitant to even look for a support group as I am a very private person. I'm going to try it anyway :). Thanks for having me.
Welcome to the group. I understand you've had some trouble getting started, but one of our other moderators has reached out to you to get things going.

As for being scared by your experiences so far, well, welcome to the club! We'll be happy to answer specific questions with our own opinions and experiences. We may also refer you to existing topics (threads, if you prefer) where members have discussed things ad nauseam.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

DebW

Re: Welcome Tuckerc1

Post by DebW » June 22nd, 2018, 7:16 am

Welcome Tucker!!
What you are feeling is completely normal and will should subside with time. Having an ICD is definitely life changing. Like Ron said, ask questions.
howdywelcome howdywelcome

luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs » June 22nd, 2018, 7:36 am

Welcome to the group! We're here for you. Yes, everything you've said is normal. It is scary at first and definitely a life intrusion but it does get easier.
Joanne (aka Jo)

ricatlga

Post by ricatlga » June 22nd, 2018, 11:02 am

Welcome Tucker -
I found that this group was where I got the most help. Where I live they supposedly have a "support" group at the university hospital. But it only meets twice a year and never when I could attend. In fact when I first got my ICD they weren't even meeting with any regularity. I was kind of forced into being very up front about my condition as it happened on a business trip and I got great support from my local team. For me, what I did not want to hear was "oh, I'm so sorry this happened to you" type of talk. So I went on the offensive and totally acted like it was no big deal. After all, I now had this life saver device, so what is to worry. That cut out any talk I did not want to hear, and allowed me to control the dialog. Take care, search the site for threads on questions you may have, but reach out whenever you want to and ask away. We have folks with all different levels of issues as to why they have an ICD.
Regards,
Raymund
Replaced ICD 8/30/18 with Medtronic Visia AF SureScan MRI ICD
Ablation May 2012 - Sotalol discontinued in September
VF unknown cause 1/19/2010, Medtronic Secura-VR 1-22-10
Mitral valve repair Dec 2007

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » June 22nd, 2018, 12:04 pm

Welcome. As others said, we have all levels of people here. There are those like you who are pretty private and don't share, then there are those like someoneskidsmom and OzChrissy who completely expose themselves. lmao4dx Relax, no matter what you choose you are at home here.

So sounds like you may have a lot of questions, but until you share a bit more, it's difficult for us to know what to tell you. We all have varying heart issues from severe heart disease (TruckerRon) to those faking it (Me). They keep me around for entertainment, well honestly Ron lost the keys and can't lock me out.

Again welcome and ask away
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » June 22nd, 2018, 10:57 pm

welcome Tucker, look like they all said...I agree....the site here is a good place to be...everyone here has an icd we all arrived here via different routes and for different reasons...I came to inject some common sense and humor and to keep poor chrissie sane.....and i just got my ICD replacement today cos the previous one ran out of battery.....and believe me...the previous ICD saved my life so many times i felt i should keep it and have it encased in gold...I hated my icd at first...not the actual having of it or having to have it..but it just wouldnt settle down and behave so i swore up and down i wasnt ever going to get it replaced...but..since i had the first implant..i have 2 grandchildren i otherwise wouldnt have seen...Ive been on many holidays , moved house 3 times orand ive totally had a great life for the past 10 years and i got these 10 years thanks to the old ICD

any questions dont hesitate to ask....I'll answer anything cept religion and politics.....

all the best....Notroboskidsmom/notleavingrobomygolfsticks.
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » June 23rd, 2018, 6:50 pm

Gee I feel exposed now, but the visuals I am getting is of a creepy man in a trench coat flashing. lmao4dx

As Robbo has said, we are all different. As a woman I tend to talk a lot, and bare my soul over issues. I do the same with posting on here. wavhi

It is a shock when we realize we have heart disease that cannot just be fixed with a few pills. The device in our chest is a constant reminder of our heart disease. Over time you come to terms with it, and I find that I feel privileged now that I have it, and that I have a built in life saving device. I have been saved on numerous occasions, and my device works very hard all the time to keep me safe. I look at other people who are device free and think I am lucky, I am protected and they are not. I just have to share this story, (Yes I am a chatter box) Not long after I got my first device, it had healed, but I was on a cruise, relaxing on a sun lounge in my bathers, and I felt eyes on me. The woman next to me was just about breaking her neck trying to see what the lump in my shoulder area was. I just smiled at her and told her. Boy did I feel good, I also mentioned how lucky I was. End of story, but I did feel special at the time.

I have my first device sitting in a drawer at home. I couldn't bare to part with it, as it was part of my body for 6 years, worked hard for me, and saved my life, I needed my little angel to be with me still.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

pfargo

Post by pfargo » June 24th, 2018, 6:41 am

HI Tuckerc1,

I can really relate to you. I went in to V-fib at work about 5 months ago, no prior heart problems. Died for 30 mins, paramedics were able to bring me back. I was very scared after my implant too and didn't know where to turn for answers. Kept asking Dr.'s why this happened. Only thing they could tell me was "you have an electrical problem in your heart". LOL tell me something I don't know. Someone suggested I join a support group, so I went on line and found this sight. They have all been very helpful and supportive. When it first happened and i received my ICD i can remember laying awake for hours at night afraid that if I feel asleep I would not wake up. Wanted someone with me 24 hrs a day just in case. Now I am back a work, stay home a lot alone and feel pretty good. I know it's hard to believe but we do begin to be ok with it all, keep our Dr. appts. ask questions from Dr. and from each other if needed. I am 58 yrs. old and no prior heart problems like I said before, I just tank God that I am still here. You will go through the process, just like I am sure we all did, but i the end you will find things are not so different then they were before the ICD. Hope this helps you, wishing you the best!

P. fargo :armdown:

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » June 24th, 2018, 10:57 am

Great post Pfargo....^5

chrissie you kept the device??? oh my god i was wondering if i should...but didnt cos i figured it'd be something else in my life id have to keep track of so i said dump it hehe
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » June 24th, 2018, 7:01 pm

It is sort of in m"Junk" drawer, you know the one where you keep your old glasses, just in case, etc. It is still in the bag that they put it in after the surgery, but it has been cleaned up I think. Has the print out of my Hospital info on it too. Although I don't look at it often, I know it is there, and I am a bit attached to it. It would probably be one of the things I would take with me if there was a fire. lmao4dx lmao4dx
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.