Pre existing conditions and insurance

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

KansasAl

Re: Pre existing conditions and insurance

Post by KansasAl » October 26th, 2018, 10:21 pm

RR - I have to agree about Brownback. I was in rehab on election day for Brownback's 2nd term. After he won I did a little poll at rehab (about 7 men and women) between about 65 - 80. They all said they didn't like Brownback but voted for him because he was against abortion. I don't think Kansas is as red as you think, we just have a lot of Catholics. With the elderly departing and the younger more liberal Catholics coming on, I suspect things will change sooner than later. Kobach is going to be as bad or worse than Brownback.

I suppose Trump and ACA is kind of like Obama and ACA, we'll just have to wait and see how it works. You should be praying the Dem's Medicare for all never happens. Just the other day the bean counters said that Medicare is going to run out of money in 8 years. With way more baby-boomers starting to go on Medicare than new workers to pay for it and people living longer than when it was started it would be an absolute disaster unless they up the start age and cut benefits. Likely will as it is anyway. Have you noticed Pelosi isn't saying anything about Medicare for all lately?

Kansas spends almost 4 billion on Medicaid and I think the Fed. Gov. picks up about 60%. The rest by Kansas taxpayers. By not going with Expanded Medicaid Brownback left a ton of money on the table. It may have been worth it to him but did a huge dis-service to the taxpayers.

Alan

InSync

Post by InSync » October 27th, 2018, 8:09 am

Did states really do a huge disservice to refuse Medicaid expansion? Can we protect the vulnerable, preexisting conditions, etc. while also protecting everyone else?

Government, not one party or another, has a long habit and history of starting programs that are poorly conceived and poorly executed. These poorly thought out programs fail so we end up starting a bunch of smaller programs to do the job of the original behemoth that failed. We continue to pour money into failures, that never had a plan for measuring success in the first place, and once started these failures are impossible to stop because they all serve some group in some way. It has become popular to say at least my party did something......even if that something was meaningless and wildly expensive. And we never stop funding programs that fail.

So with the ACA, some gained coverage, many working class lost coverage, and many working class who kept their coverage still can't see a doctor. If you are paying $1500 monthly in premiums and your insurer won't pay anything until you satisfy $6500 in deductible, you end up paying nearly $25,000 annually before your insurance company pays a dime....if you have children or a spouse, you could easily double that. The year prior to the ACA, I was buying an individual BCBS policy for my grandson. I paid about $250 monthly for it. Because of the 80%ish rule of premium to expenditure ratio, I got a refund at the end of the first ACA year of about $18 because the program didn't meet the ratio between what they charged in premiums and what they paid out in reimbursements. I expected a premium decrease but my next notice from BCBS was of a premium increase. Policy run amuck. Preexisting conditions and kids through college could have easily been protected by policy changes completely independent of "healthcare reform". If that was done we wouldn't have this angst every time a different administration is in power. Putting the power and control of the healthcare dollar into the hands of insurance companies, hospital corporations, and pharma was never the answer. Still isn't. Of course, we can't prove that because the ACA program never had a mechanism for measuring success to begin with......certainly by design.

I find it really odd that the actual cost at point of care was never part of the healthcare conversation. I've asked many times why my echo pre ACA cost less than $3000 and two years into ACA, it cost $9000. No one wants to talk about that. All we want to talk about is premiums and how wonderful it is that people who didn't have coverage before have coverage now........even if we are ALL paying more for less.

I want preexisting conditions covered. I want parents to have the right to keep their kids on their insurance policy for a period of time after age 18 if they are in college. I want those concepts to be independent, stand alone policies, not part of some convoluted program that demands all or nothing.

**Disclaimer: I didn't support ACA. In present form, I don't support the current administration's plan. I support a national healthcare program, well planned and executed, safeguarded against special interest money and politics. I support wisdom in creating a program that works for everyone and isn't driven by government sanctioned greed and a mandate that we all feed the greedy.....who will never be satisfied anyway.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » October 29th, 2018, 11:55 am

one of the toughest decisions I had to make every year was healthcare coverage. I cannot tell you how many sleepless nights I agonized over this decision. What company to go with, what was the best coverage possible, what were hidden costs, how reliable was the insurer and so on. Not for me, for all of my employees. Every year we had to renegotiate healthcare insurance to obtain the best coverage to cost ratio possible and every year I had to decide what to cut from out plan and how much of the cost my company would absorb so employees could afford coverage. Thirty, forty percent increases annually were the norm even lacking any large claims from my 200+ employees. and this was long before ACA was dreamed of...

We all tend to overlook that the disaster we call healthcare is out of control no matter what program you believe in. It's time to reign in the healthcare community. At risk of overlooking or favoring one aspect over another I'll acquiesce and allow someone a bit smarter to address how best to address the issue.

and yes I said someone smarter than me, so that rules out all politicians
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider » November 3rd, 2018, 1:32 pm

In like 3-4 days, you will have the opportunity to vote. Cutting to the quick, there are two parties to choose from. Forget all the rest of the flotsam, and like it or not, only two have any relevance to the world at this point. Democrat or Republican.

Please consider:
1) Vote (an activity I once considered total nonsense. Not this time, the future is at stake, seriously. Don't wish to vote, go #*#*# yourself instead of us)
2) Vote effectively. If the world is to end tomorrow, does it matter if an immigrant might apply for legal asylum in eight weeks? Will you need an abortion if there is no life left on earth? Do you feel people continually lying to you think much of you? If some police are shooting unarmed children and you think that is wrong, do you have a suggestion what may be a civil way to protest that short of kneeling during a football game?
3) Vote you pocket. Consider if you have all and everything that you could possibly want or use in the next 1200 years. If you think you really should have even more, then one party might be your favorite. If you think begging is a preferred way of avoiding medical bankruptcy, perhaps the other party?
4) Vote your health. If you have concerns about your health or that of any of your lineage as regards "pre existing conditions" be aware one party may now be saying one thing when they have voted 65 times totally the other way. You may wish to check the 'what they say vs the what they do' box. Special shout out here to Mitch.

Please do some reading and please vote intelligently. Hey, what's at stake anyways? (you can always lie and say you voted one way and never for a second wanted to poison grandchildren)

Have a great day everyone

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » November 3rd, 2018, 3:32 pm

You don't have to beat around the bush RR, just say it.

VOTE REPUBLICAN.

Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider » November 3rd, 2018, 7:32 pm

Nailed the prick! Like fishin on the creek. The above comment by the Kansas Al fellow is a blatant and outrageously biased political statement deserving of severe flagellation. For some reason I imagine you may actually look forward to implementing that but still you should make sure to hammer the point across.

This would be a great time to ask the mods:

What do you think the substance of this site is any longer (open to anyone to chip in)?

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » November 4th, 2018, 6:24 pm

When our Bob, Freckles, was in the main seat, POLITICS was a banned topic. This has to be now proven to be the only way this site can be successful. To those of us who are not from the USA, yes other people do exist in the world and do have opinions, we just have to look and shake our heads.

Maybe it is time to bring back our Bob's policy, and ban all Political comments. It worked for years, and will continue to work well.

As a non-American we get enough of the US Political chaos on our TV's, we really do not need it on here. It just makes us angry and depressed.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » November 4th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Ozchrissy wrote:
November 4th, 2018, 6:24 pm
It just makes us angry and depressed.
Huh, I never considered that RR might be Australian. I just figured his anger and depression stemmed from being an American Democrat.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » November 5th, 2018, 9:28 pm

The good news is the 2018 mid-term elections will be over tomorrow evening. The counting and recounting of ballots may go on for weeks since several elections are "too close to call."

Both parties are guilty of hyperbole. Neither is a party of saints.

So, to preserve some semblance of sanity, this topic is closed.

I hope y'all had some fun in my brief absence.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099