Pre existing conditions and insurance

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

abas

Pre existing conditions and insurance

Post by abas » June 14th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Haven't been around in a while. Was catching up on my reading and saw a recent discussion on pre existing conditions. One person quoted the situation as "Donald Trump’s administration is going to try and repeal pre-existing condition insurance coverage guarantees. Are you, a friend or family on this short list of pre-existing conditions that can cause denial or cancelling of health insurance?" Another said there was no way, specifically "No politician who wants to be reelected would ever vote for such a thing." I assume that means changing pre existing conditions.

I am in my fifties and have kids so am very interested about pre existing conditions and insurance. So I don't have to worry about them repealing these coverage guarantees?

Leedur

Re: Pre existing conditions and insurance

Post by Leedur » June 14th, 2018, 10:55 pm

So much fake news these days. How can anyone know what is true.....will have to wait and see what develops. Guess the large savings in premiums didn't happen....hearing quiet the opposite....glad I am getting old.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » June 15th, 2018, 10:00 am

As I understand the portion of the ACA that charged a penalty for not carrying insurance was dropped. Insurance Co are predicting more healthy people will drop insurance or not sign up leaving an inbalance between sick and healthy patients.

To recover projected losses insurer's are planning to increase premiums an estimated 30%, and in some cases drop policies.

Much is conjecture at this point based on statements made by politicians and insurance companies
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

garya

Post by garya » June 15th, 2018, 10:42 am

It would appear the preferred course of action here is to sit back and wait to see what happens as opposed to trying to influence or participate in any course of corrective action?

The individual mandate has been dropped and as Robo noted typically younger, healthier people will choose to forego medical insurance as they are immune to illness, disease or accident thus contributing to premium increases (a smaller insurance pool).

My local state congressman, ironically a card carrying Republican, recently sent a newsletter pushing a bill to increase reimbursements for EMTs that "would require reimbursement for services rendered by an ambulance service, even if no transport takes place." He added:
If ambulance companies continue to provide care without being paid, we will all face the consequences. That could mean the ambulance companies close their doors and force the remaining companies to cover a larger geographical area – resulting in a longer wait during medically critical times. It could also mean that taxpayers face a far greater financial responsibility.
A degree in political science or math should not be required to see what happens.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » June 15th, 2018, 11:31 am

Everyone: Well done, so far! You're sticking to the stated topic and are not aiming insults at anyone, including the politicians who have created the mess and are trying to fix it.
dancee
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » June 26th, 2018, 8:08 am

Andy Slavitt ran Medicare/ACA during Obama's term. He among others, is now pointing out "the Trump administration is targeting the elimination of pre-existing condition protections through the courts." You may wish to support or oppose these type actions by contacting your local representative and voicing an opinion. Slavitt includes this resourced list:
preExist.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Leedur

Post by Leedur » June 26th, 2018, 9:54 am

Have some friends & family members that are younger and do not have employer coverage and simply cannot afford the premiums and high deductibles. Most living from paycheck to paycheck.

Not saying there is any one solution to everyone's situation and believe it will always be a problem for many. Having been covered most of my life by Blue Cross with $ 1,200 month premiums and $ 6,000 annual deductible.....current Medicare coverage and supplement plan has been the best coverage with low premiums. About the only advantage I've found to getting older....especially with heart disease.
Last edited by Leedur on June 26th, 2018, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » June 26th, 2018, 9:56 am

And here is the White House response to the chorus who are crying wolf:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-st ... onditions/

Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » June 26th, 2018, 11:38 am

Ok, so, let's return to posts regarding how to deal with the situation as individuals. No more posting of opinion pieces, hit pieces, or responses to them. Tales of woe are allowed as this board exists, among other things, as a place where we can let off steam, whinge (sounds so much better than whine!), and look for advice from others walking this thorny path.

Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...

garya

Post by garya » October 24th, 2018, 6:23 pm

There is no more individual mandate. You do not have to buy insurance and if you do, there are now much cheaper policies that do not cover pre existing conditions or certain other illnesses and would count for having medical insurance. If you are say 23 and not covered under your parents insurance policy (as provided for under Obamacare till age 26), you are immune to practically anything. Why buy medical insurance? Go to Cancun instead. However, if you fall victim to say cancer and either you don't have insurance or your cheapo insurance doesn't cover, you will still be treated for your cancer. Guess who picks up the bill? Yep, people that did buy insurance and who will see a premium increase to the most expensive health care system on earth. Sound like a vicious circle? And let's not forget bankruptcy follows you for 10 years I believe.

The following is via a very well known and respected economist teaching at U Michigan and also some dippy university in Australia :) in the off season. You might want to ask yourself what is he trying to say?

abas

Post by abas » October 24th, 2018, 7:17 pm

At first I could not see an image in the above post. But after a while an image icon appeared. Then I did a refresh (the F5 button on keyboard) and bingo.

The economist does not seem to be mincing any words, but given the incredible number of outright lies by Trump that have already been proven, maybe he did not go that far out on a limb.

Whatever the case, the possible impact here goes well beyond us, it goes to our offspring and their offspring. We all should be vigilant on the topic.

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » October 24th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Abas - First off, I don't have a dog in this fight. It's my understanding the only policy that doesn't cover pre-existing conditions is a 1 year (renewable 2 times only) that also has no provision for maternity or drugs. This policy has a very low premium.All other policies remain the same. I would think this would be a reasonable option for a young, healthy person with limited funds and looking for a job that provides insurance.

For those concerned about the mandate (third leg) - At present there are +/- 20 million additional insured since ACA was passed. The vast majority of those are on expanded Medicaid. These people don't pay a premium. Of the rest many have subsidized policies, low premium/high deductible policies and a modest amount have high premium/low deductible policies. Since Trump has lowered unemployment, the trend has been for the older portion of the workforce finding employment to transfer from ACA to private insurance with the employer.

Enrollment in ACA has changed very little since Obama's last year, Obama - 20 million and Trump - 20.3 million. After ten years under Obama and his mandate the enrollment in ACA has plateaued. I suppose the mandate doesn't really matter at this point..

Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider » October 24th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Kansas, first off, you do have a dog in the fight. You have a heart condition. As for policies, the point I suspect was insurance companies can now start to write policies with or without pre existing conditions. And the mandate is a critical structure in medical insurance, it is the third leg of a stool. You can't visualize removing one leg of three and see how it still stands?

Didn't Obamacare pass in 2010, but main points did not take effect until 2014? That's 4 years not the 10 you reference. The last bottom line though was 20+ MILLION people were going to lose health insurance under these GOP changes. Why do you think Republicans want 20+ MILLION to lose coverage? And who knows how many on Medicaid would be affected when the GOP reduces those "entitlements?"

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » October 24th, 2018, 10:27 pm

RR - I was just watching tv when I realized my mistake on years. Thought I'd come back and correct it. You beat me to it, Thanx.

I don't understand your figure of losing 20 million. There is only 20.3 million now.

How would Medicaid change. That is a federal funded program. The states are trying to kick the healthy, able to work folks off. You know the ones forced upon the states by ACA.

I have been on Kansas Medicaid since my heart blew up 8 years ago. I have been 100% disabled for 8 years. Kansas did not participate in Expanded Medicaid. Kansas set up their own insurance exchange (3 companies). Instead of all companies having to provide the same ACA care provisions, mine is geared for older people and covers major chronic problems. I have of course heart problems and only this company provides transplants. I also have had cancer 3 times, diabetes, COPD, have an infection on an aortic graft, have a piece of crap stuck in my brain from placement of graft causing seizures, having spinal neurosurgery Nov. 8 and several other aches and pains.

Another company is geared toward kids and young adults and the last is for middle age folk. There is a lot of crossover coverage of course but each specializes also. This cuts down costs verses ACA Expanded Medicaid where every insurer has to provide all coverages.

What is it that you feel will change with Medicaid? The only difference for me between Kansas administered Medicaid and Kansas/ACA insurance exchange
is I get free rides to and from anything medically related and with Kansas I had small deductibles and ACA I don't pay anything for anything.

Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider » October 26th, 2018, 5:19 pm

@K..Al, quite obviously I didn't understand your situation. From what I read, Kansas is deep Red and your last governor Brownback was a total moron breaking the bank with his cute ideas to cut taxes. But if I was in your situation and receiving all your services and coverages, screw it, I'd be Republican to. Any idea who is ultimately paying for your treatments?

I still honestly believe Republicans are lying about med insurance and pre existing condition coverage simply to get votes. And if given the chance, we all will eventually get screwed. The "conservative" and limiting government I agree with. It is just this GOP today is completely on a different planet.