New High tech ....

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

mykidsmom

New High tech ....

Post by mykidsmom » June 9th, 2018, 10:57 am

So i met with my New EP yesterday to discuss the replacement implant....Dont know if you remember or not but i had my run in with sepsis after my lead was replaced the last time...6 months of worrying would they catch and control it..or would i end up having the icd removed and replaced with the life jacket till all healed up..thanks to a dr who was bound and determined to fix it and loaded me with multiple antibiotics on the nose of 6 months and 2 surgeries later..it was gone..

I swore up and down this would be my last venture towards keeping an ICD anyways here we go again...the new EP seems pretty smart and changing out the device is easy peasy....but the lead is broken...no way is it coming how irrespective how much the manufacturers want to examine it....so the agreement is....stick another lead in and i'll take my chances...i'll already shook hands with the devil more than once and walked away....so we'll see how this goes..im waiting on a call early this coming week cos it seems theres no juice left in the battery so its sorta an emergency...

whats your opinion about leaving the defective lead..have any of you done this? and how did it work out??? 3 1/2 hr totally wake surgery is now i got the previous one removed and i aint doing that again..no way..

so im expecting the date for surgery will be within the next two weeks..
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

DebW

Re: New High tech ....

Post by DebW » June 9th, 2018, 11:58 am

I think this time it will go A OK for you!!! And I will be sending good thoughts =)

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » June 9th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Thanks Deb i hope so.....i guess im a bit worried about the effect of having the extra lead in...will it make me more susceptible to inappropriate shocks? my last ep was more than certain it would and could lol...

Ive been told this is the latest and greatest technology so this could be quite interesting.....If i notice any russian interference you can be sure i'll let you know hehehee

InSync

Post by InSync » June 9th, 2018, 12:52 pm

I'm glad you decided to give replacement another chance. I have a recalled lead...that was implanted after the recall date....and another with known issues. I'm asking for the recalled lead to be removed at replacement. I haven't seen any studies, don't know any statistics, etc., but don't want extra hardware in there. Regardless how long a lead has been in, there is never going to be a better, less risky time to remove it. On video of explanted leads, there is always a lot of tissue growth on the lead.....which is what makes it risky to remove. Will tissue continue to grow on the leads and occlude the blood vessel? I don't know, but I do know that I don't want extras in there. I don't even want to think about a bunch of leads in the coronary sinus. I definitely want unused leads removed.

Best wishes. Let us know how it goes.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » June 9th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Will do.....the removal of the previous lead took 3 1/2 hrs ....i was awake for all of it until they zapped me out to test the device...i didnt have pain during the procedure but it was a bit disconcerting to hear and be aware of the OR conversations...i learned more about the staff than i needed..i heard my cardiologist who popped in to make a bet with the ep bet there was no way hed get the lead out...i heard the hooting and hollering when they pulled it out...and i heard my own cardiologist run for the door to avoid paying his bet.. i asked why they wouldnt knock me out and was told....you didnt need to be and it would be dangeous..when i had to go for other surgeries concerning the infection i got from the aftercare i was knocked totally out cos i refused to stay awake lol....but i have to reiterate...there was no pain.and yes..the wire is covered with tissue i heard them discussing it lol...

anyways i'll fill yis in..hugs

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » June 9th, 2018, 4:34 pm

I've heard tell the most dangerous time/place in any hospital is with the anesthesiologist. Apparently people that are awake stay alive longer than those that are not.

You can only have so many leads, working or not, in your heart. If you are 96, who cares, put more leads in. If you are 36 you are likely to have more devices over the years so perhaps better to clear a path now.

Is there a finite limit to any growth/attachment for a lead? Is a 5 year old lead "more attached" to heart muscle than a 10 year old lead?
Have there been any recent improvements, tools invented for lead removal?
Are there any on the horizon?
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » June 9th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Oh Helen, glad you are getting it replaced, and the new EP sounds good. The leaving of leads in is problematic isn't it. Which lead is it, if it is the one on the outside, I cannot imagine how they would get that out, (3rd lead on CRT). I don't think I would be too concerned about the other 2 in my ventricles. When I have my echos I always see the leads, and they are pretty thin and seem to be stable in the heart.

I am up to 12 years with my leads at the moment and so far no sign of any issues. I hope that they stay this way for a LONG time.

I am sure that all will be well with the change over, and honestly, I would not be concerned if the lead they left in was in the ventricles, but if in the vein, then I would be like you, CHIT, CHIT, CHIT. safetocomeout safetocomeout
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » June 9th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Two words... golf2
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » June 9th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Ok chrissie its chit chit chit then or shyte as they say in ireland....its the same lead they replaced before hehee...in the vein....which is why no fricking way under the sun its coming out..

Sorry robbo....no golf clubs to pass on but i can arrange for my half used bottles of medicines to be dispatched to you considering lol

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » June 10th, 2018, 4:36 am

:sick030: Oh Shyte, Shyte, Shyte. Can they use another vein to put the lead in, I know the leads are thin, but heck. When I was having my recent angiogram and my ep/cardiologist told me he needed to fix my stent, (actually showed me and explained why on the screen) I jokingly asked him if he had room to fit it in with all the other stuff I had in there. I can only imagine how you feel, that is something I really would not look forward to, taking out that 3rd lead. I don't blame you for refusing, I would too. One of my biggest scary things I don't want to think about. :runaway: :runaway:
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » June 10th, 2018, 11:18 am

well heres the thing..ive discovered yer man above doesnt want me..and clearly the fecker below doesnt either.....so until they make up their mind who does and when ..im stuck here hehe..so what will be will be...and im so happy being able in the past two weeks to run around all over the place with the grandkids and i still have two feet lol...im going to enjoy every second i have and when it ends im not going to have any regrets at all...ive booked a week this summer with ben at a waterpark hotel so were going to have a lota fun...and im searching for an interesting holiday place to take the others too very soon...and all going well i might even venture a couple of days back to ireland...thats the extent of my planning lol...im doing things in small increments lol..so my planning is going to be month by month...

next month i might invest in golf clubs for robo hehehe