Skin sensitivity

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

Melissa

Skin sensitivity

Post by Melissa » June 7th, 2018, 4:23 pm

Hi everyone! I hammy ICD replaced at the end of March and all went well and everything is healed up. However, the skin around the scar is now really really sensitive! When things repeated rub that area like sports bras or certain shirts, it is really painful. It feels like an over stimulated nerve or something. I figure this is probably because they open up the same skin as they did 7 years ago when they put the original in. Did anyone else have a similar experience? It's only been 2-2.5 months so I am still hoping this will subside.
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day, aldactone 25mg/day. Second ICD implanted 3/18, also Boston Scientific CRT-D

kristinzzz

Re: Skin sensitivity

Post by kristinzzz » June 7th, 2018, 5:06 pm

HI Melissa,

I just had my generator changed out too. It was in April. I've noticed real sensitivity to the sunlight and to my jogging bra. I had my cardiac nurse look at it and it appears to be fine. But, yes it is sensitive for quite awhile after they use that incision. I make sure it's covered up when I'm in the sun and I'm not using any fragranced lotions on the area.

Hope it continues to heal!

wavhi Kristin
ICD Medtronic Implanted October 2005
2nd ICD Medtronic Protecta Implanted June 2012 (Fidelis Lead removed/fractured)
3rd ICD ST JUDE implanted in April 2018
10 Shock Storm/ Feb. 2008
Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » June 7th, 2018, 6:10 pm

ladies, just use extreme care and monitor it closely. The first sign of what looks like a small white pimple at the end of the incision and get to a doctor. Mine started exactly as you are describing, well except for the bra part, and became a full out disaster area infection. Everything except the heart had to be hoiked out and I lost 5.5 months until they could place a new device. The life vest, vacuum pump and infusion pump are definitely not fashion accessories you ever want to sport. No matter how good looking you are they don't help
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

kristinzzz

Post by kristinzzz » June 7th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Robo,,

Thank you for the warning! I'm looking at my new incision all the time, so will hope and make sure nothing appears like you described.

:runn:
Kristin
ICD Medtronic Implanted October 2005
2nd ICD Medtronic Protecta Implanted June 2012 (Fidelis Lead removed/fractured)
3rd ICD ST JUDE implanted in April 2018
10 Shock Storm/ Feb. 2008
Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » June 7th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Among other uses, this is why God gave us smart phones with a camera. Take daily photos of the area. Sometimes it is surprising what we forget from day to day. Please note I am not inserting some snide comment here regarding political parties and deficits and that forgetfulness.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S Hawking

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » June 8th, 2018, 10:21 am

Noted, mrag.

:duh:
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Melissa

Post by Melissa » June 8th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely watch it.
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day, aldactone 25mg/day. Second ICD implanted 3/18, also Boston Scientific CRT-D

RUHLEN

Post by RUHLEN » June 13th, 2018, 6:03 am

Monitor this closly with pictures as noted. I had my ICD replaced in November, then in January drove for extended periods of time from which the seat belt irritated the site. i tried to treat it myself but one day the scar opened. My electrocardio saw it and I was hospitalized for 3 days with antibiotic drips and blood cultures. The hospitalization allowed me to get into wound care which I go to every week. There is some healing going on with a radical treatment. So far no super serious infections which could affect the ICD and lead, but culture tests do sometimes show the normal bacteria which is on our skin. I am hoping the wound heals so I do not have to go through what ROBO did. Also does not allow me to go swimming or surf fishing.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
St. Jude Fortify CD1231-40Q implanted 10-25-2010 RVA 7121Q/65 replaced November 2017 with a new St Jude, Leaking AAA stent removed 2015 replaced with Teflon
Cook Medical Endovascular Stent 8-10-2010, Heart Attack 6-?-2010,arterial stent 6-29-2010 ef = 30