ICD Replacement

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

Sorceress

ICD Replacement

Post by Sorceress » June 7th, 2018, 4:15 pm

It has been a while since I have visited the board. On Monday I went in as an out patient to receive my second ICD. My first one was implanted in August, 2008. Since I have been on a blood thinner I had to go off of it 5 days before the procedure. At the hospital my INR was still high at 1.5 but it did not stop my surgeon from doing the procedure. Everything went well and surgery took 39 minutes. I was awake for the whole procedure. After resting in recovery I decided I needed to go to the bathroom. I got up and walked over to the restroom and, filling so good, I just grabbed the door, which was quite heavy, did my thing and then got back into my bed. About 5 minutes later the nurse came in to look at my dressing and it was totally saturated with blood. My surgeon already had left but they were able to reach him by phone. They were told to put on a pressure bandage to help allow the blood to clot over my incision. He told them to have me stop over the office on the following day so that he could take a look at it. I did see him on Tuesday but overnight the incision stopped bleeding and looked okay by him. He even told me I could shower on Wednesday morning but not to scrub it and only towel dry. I believe I only started bleeding from the remnants of the blood thinner. I am feeling much better today but still have some discomfort at my incision site. Never had to take any pain relievers but I do have a 10 pound weight restriction which is a little bit of a bummer because I like to do things around my home.

TruckerRon

Re: ICD Replacement

Post by TruckerRon » June 8th, 2018, 10:28 am

Sorceress wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 4:15 pm
...I am feeling much better today but still have some discomfort at my incision site. Never had to take any pain relievers but I do have a 10 pound weight restriction which is a little bit of a bummer because I like to do things around my home.
You're definitely cut from different cloth than I! As much as I enjoy accomplishing things, doctor-ordered R&R happens too rarely for me.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099