Lvads

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

Heartbroke

Lvads

Post by Heartbroke » January 7th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Last time I was in the hospital I made a new friend a 36 year old that had a heart transplant 4 months ago he was there for his monthly biopsy to make sure it's not getting rejected he had a lvad for 31/2 years and a diffibrillator that he never got a shock from poor guy still carries a pack on him where he got so use to wearing the lvad equipment by the way it weighs 8 pounds and my sternum and collar Bones are killing me from it. Anyway I ask him if he was going to meet the family of the heart donor you have to wait 7 months after your transplant to meet them he said I'm nervous about it what do I say I said you need to thank them for their loved ones sacrifice to give you a chance at a normal life let them listen to their loved ones heart beat inside you to let them know part of the donor is still alive in you make friends with them keep in contact with them and take care of the gift you have been given.

freckles1880

Re: Lvads

Post by freckles1880 » January 7th, 2018, 7:28 pm

Interesting information. We don't much information on Lvads. Please do keep us advised how things are going. I am praying for good results.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » January 10th, 2018, 2:10 pm

freckles1880 wrote:
January 7th, 2018, 7:28 pm
Interesting information. We don't much information on Lvads. Please do keep us advised how things are going. I am praying for good results.

wavhi
You know, it's actually surprising there isn't more discussion on the topic of LVADs and for that matter TAH (total artificial heart) which are both tools used in treatment of end stage heart failure and used to buy time until a tissue heart can be found for transplant. What with the number of members here I'd expect quite a few of us have been offered those options, I know I have been on more than one occasion.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

Heartbroke

Post by Heartbroke » January 12th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Robot pop 2 different ways they use them not to easy to get one is bridge to transplant the other is destination therapy it took a team of 20 people to decide on mine the surgeon all the way down to a physiologist I had to pass every medical test you can imagine my team told me heart transplants are going to stop on people 69 or older soon they will finish their lives with lvads it's expensive my surgery and cost of the lvad was 600,000 not to mention the hospital stay of a month my guess would be around a million for everything I also have 10 grand in medical equipment that I have to have at home just the dressing kits for my drive line are 350 bucks a piece and change it 3 times a week.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » January 12th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Yeah people don't fully grasp the financial implications. When I was researching LVADs, artificial hearts, and transplants one thing the transplant team mentioned in passing was that most people who get any of those goes bankrupt (broke). And yeah, the approval process is a long one no matter which option you go for.

I didn't recall the LVAD being approved for destination therapy, I know SynCardia was doing clinicals to obtain approval from the FDA for their TAH to be used as destination therapy.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

tip

Post by tip » January 12th, 2018, 6:05 pm

I read somewhere recently that heart patients average fifty thousand a year in care. I was in the hospital three times this year and those bills were over sixhundred thousand I think we run the average up
St. Jude Dual Chamber
Cardiomyopathy
Aortic Valve Replacement

Heartbroke

Post by Heartbroke » January 13th, 2018, 8:51 am

Yes robo pop the type I have is approved for destination therapy