Fair?

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

ROBO Pop

Fair?

Post by ROBO Pop » January 3rd, 2018, 7:08 pm

It's no secret I've lead a somewhat wild life. Survived a hunting accident, a war, armed robbery in a foreign country, kidnapped in a foreign country, smoked, drank, survived multiple heart attacks, open heart, icd implants and a raging infection just to hit some highlights. Oh yeah musn't forget survived a pissed off komodo dragon while golfing. You could say I've lead a somewhat charmed life and survived more than my share of excitement.

During the Christmas holiday a friend of my wife died just days away from retirement. A co worker of my daughter died in an accident, and another, a 45 year old mother, reported not feeling well during a meeting. The next day she died of sudden cardiac arrest. They were all clean living and took care of themselves.

Just how is this fair in the scheme of things. My doctor tells me constantly my time is up yet here I am, still upright and sucking air while these young people did everything right and their lives were snuffed out prematurely

Just how is this right...how is this fair? Is life really just a random event? It sucks
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

bigray800

Re: Fair?

Post by bigray800 » January 3rd, 2018, 9:52 pm

Fair???? Did you ever think the "Man Upstairs" is just tired of trying to do you in? Seams he has been trying to but you keep beating him! Or maybe he just don't want you yet, Stay upbeat and don't let him get you.
Big Ray 800

slk123

Post by slk123 » January 3rd, 2018, 11:48 pm

I hate survivor's guilt. It isn't fair, but who really knows why all this happens? I just keep going because I know someone out there still needs me, outside of my children that is. I know I still need your input on what's going on with me. You may not know it, but you've helped me in countless ways. Now don't ask me to count them because my memory is bad, but you have.
Best wishes,
Stacey

CHF Jan 2016
ICD Nov 2014
LBBB Nov 2014
Sudden cardiac arrest Nov 2014
Arrhythmia Aug 1982

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » January 4th, 2018, 10:03 am

Fair? You can read my latest update and guess a little more "what's fair". Same thing I am here when several others have gone. I don't think that there is a good answer. Someone on here said something like "how do I know when my roles in life is complete? The answer is if we are still alive we have not yet completed them"

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 53+ years and my eldest daughter.

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » January 4th, 2018, 12:55 pm

I believe "Only the good die young" explains it all. consolsmile

kiwiguy

Post by kiwiguy » January 4th, 2018, 1:35 pm

There's no referee in life. I'm a big believer of the old saying "you make your own luck".

InSync

Post by InSync » January 4th, 2018, 4:14 pm

You thought it was fair?
Dilated Cardiomyopathy, LBBB, CHF
St. Jude CRT-D 5/12
The beat goes on.....

Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider » January 4th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Survived a hunting accident, a war, armed robbery in a foreign country, kidnapped in a foreign country, smoked, drank, survived multiple heart attacks, open heart, icd implants and a raging infection just to hit some highlights. Oh yeah musn't forget survived a pissed off komodo dragon while golfing.
By my unofficial count, you are alive where eight others probably bit the dust instead. Those are the dudes or dudettes that really should be screaming life ain't fair. Hey, how come I'm Casper the friendly ghost while you are still eating canapés with an inappropriate wine?

Want to know why, I'll tell you why, its the repubicans. Think about it.

Jim and Sparky

Post by Jim and Sparky » January 6th, 2018, 5:09 am

Been thinking about “fair” quite a bit lately. Wondering how fair it is to get cancer on top of my other maladies. How fair is it to incur many $ in out of pocket expenses not covered by insurance? Why are some of the treatments so barbaric? The questions can go on and on.

Then I seem t remind myself that there are always people out there in a worse position than me. In many respects, I am really quite lucky.
MI 1/21/11; SCA's 2/3/11 and 2/4/11
I have a Boston Scientific Teligen ICD and a Boston Scientific Promus stent,
I guess my cardiologist is sort of a BS kind of guy.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » January 6th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Oh yes, the 'fair' question raises its ugly head with me too. To me it is like, why am I still here, WHY am I still here. When you have faced death and come out the other side, you do wonder why you are kept around.

I now make sure that I take advantage of what I have. But also, I joined the Heart Foundation over here as a Consumer Adviser, I speak as often as I can with others who are going through heart disease, the latest just last week where a friend had a pacemaker inserted and as usual did not know a thing about it

I also have found that I am much more proactive when I see injustice. I have lost that fear of being judged or of what authority may think of me if I take a stance. I have had a few projects last year, and honestly the outcome has been brilliant, but the process was stressful. But I find I cannot ignore stuff anymore, I have to speak out about things I find unjust, and defend those who are being disadvantaged. Makes it hard on me, but at the moment I cannot stop being proactive.

I think the saying of going out with a smile on my face and a whoopee is very appropriate to me. For goodness sake I am only 64, I hopefully have a few years left, and I intend, on a smaller level that I am capable of, making changes that will affect people. If you can go outside your comfort zone, not because you want to look like a caring person though, but out of a genuine interest, then you are living a full life. Even if it is just talking to the weirdo, who really isn't a weirdo but who is a person who has had a stroke or a brain injury. Amazing the talent I have found among people who have been classed a different by our society. And who isn't different, look at us on here, we are all different with so much experience and skills, we could make a difference to those around us, without much effort really. Just take opportunities as they arise, and be proactive. Don't turn away and think it doesn't concern you, it does, what affects your neighbour affects you also.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

KansasAl

Post by KansasAl » January 6th, 2018, 8:37 pm

Ozchrissy wrote:
January 6th, 2018, 7:36 pm
I think the saying of going out with a smile on my face and a whoopee is very appropriate to me.
Good Lord, Chrissy, they were talking about drunk drivers. dogkissessss

Ozchrissy

Post by Ozchrissy » January 6th, 2018, 10:04 pm

lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx lmao4dx

The only drunk driving I do nowadays is with my w a l k e r, coming home from a friends place a bit "wobbly booted", Al. wavhi wavhi

Those w a l k e r s are good for carrying groceries and at times like that.
“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” Carl Jung

Diagnosed with cardiomyopathy in 10/99
LBBB & VT diagnosed Feb 06
Guidant Biventricular Pacer ICD inserted Feb 06: Boston Scientific Incepta CRT-D inserted May, 2012
Oesophageal Cancer, 2012, Gall Bladder & Septicemia 2014 resulting in VFib and severe heart damage
Bare Metal Stent May, 2012 Mitral Valve replaced 2015
Meds: Entresto, Bicard, Coralan, Eurtorxsiq, Frusehexl, Spiractin, Sigmaxin, Creon, Warfarin,
Appropriate Shocks for Ventricular VFib.

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » January 7th, 2018, 9:33 am

ROBO Pop wrote:Just how is this right...how is this fair? Is life really just a random event?
As you mentioned others, I think perhaps you need to add a little perspective to where in this life you actually fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsmXRcD_jYI
Despite repeated requests, my avatar was not painted by ROBO

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » January 9th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Because the master fisherman tossed me back into the pool to live a little longer and grow a bit:
  • I became a volunteer chaplain at the state hospital
  • Got to watch my daughter graduate from college and become a teacher
  • Got to have 2 grandsons
  • Got to play in a community orchestra
  • Got to lead a choir for 3 years
  • Got to learn about astronomy
  • Got to see a total eclipse
  • Got to know a bit about Freckles, ROBO, and OzChrissy
Not too shabby a list...
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » January 9th, 2018, 5:16 pm

TruckerRon wrote:
January 9th, 2018, 3:44 pm
Because the master fisherman tossed me back into the pool to live a little longer and grow
Forgive me Ron, don't get me wrong, thats a nice list, but...with the possible exception of item 1 on your list, just how do those things make you more worthy than those who weren't as fortunate? Do you really feel that 45 year old mother didn't deserve to see her 6 year old grow up and fulfill her destiny? Should I go on?

Don't take this as a personal affront, it's merely a discussion about the fairness of life.

If there is a God, I don't buy for a moment he/she intervenes for some and not others. No question some survivors go on to make positive contributions, but far too many are evil, and continue to be so...I believe those arguments are to assuage our guilt at having survived.

Yeah I may well be cynical
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375