Fair?

Posts from Jan. 1, 2018 to the present. Plus important announcements. (ICD warning sounds)

Moderator: Moderators

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Re: Fair?

Post by mrag » January 9th, 2018, 5:41 pm

how do those things make you more worthy than those who weren't as fortunate?
I've given this some further thought. You need to subscribe to Ancestry.com (chill Bob, not an endorsement) or similar. In my case I'm certain I am still here because my great grandfather did not grab someone's ass in a photo shoot and he was able to continue his career in government without being considered a Weinstein on the loose. His actions have reflected on following generations although I've no idea how long such protection continues. You might wish to consider that angle in your quest for the truth.

Meanwhile, saw Darkest Hour this afternoon. I'm reconsidering where I said Gary Oldman did not deserve Best Actor at the Golden Globes, he was phenomenal. I no longer think the makeup artist for Wonder has a lock on an Academy-he has some real competition here.

And if you pay close attention to the film, we were all mere hours away from speaking German on this forum. Fair?
Despite repeated requests, my avatar was not painted by ROBO

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » January 9th, 2018, 8:42 pm

ROBO Pop wrote:
January 9th, 2018, 5:16 pm
Yeah I may well be cynical
Why not be cynical? After all, nowhere in the Bible or any other sacred text does it say God is fair. In fact, the Bible quotes Jesus as saying: "That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."--Matthew 5:45

So the question is does the Biblical God (or any other deity) get involved in human events? Benjamin Franklin thought so. "I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth -- that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" June 28, 1787, at the Constitutional Convention.

My faith leads me to believe that if life were truly "fair" that people would be totally unwilling to do anything wrong or evil, for they would be thwarted and their intended victims protected. So much for free will!

So, perhaps the challenge for those of us who are spared from dying because of our health woes is to find meaning in how we respond to the unfairness around us and make good use of our extra time.
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

Heartbroke

Post by Heartbroke » January 9th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Sounds like some of them had hereditary conditions all my drs tell me I could have did everything right and still a 98 percent chance this would have happened to me anyway.

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » January 9th, 2018, 10:32 pm

Heartbroke wrote:
January 9th, 2018, 9:58 pm
Sounds like some of them had hereditary conditions all my drs tell me I could have did everything right and still a 98 percent chance this would have happened to me anyway.
My father (1989 - age 56) and brother (1973 - age 17) both had SCDs, with dilated cardiomyopathy. My arteries were clear, my lifestyle was as recommended, but there I was on the floor. My SCA at age 56 happened all the same. Genetic tests showed no known risk factors; I just had my LBBB to blame -- and perhaps they did too.

Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...

Leedur

Post by Leedur » January 10th, 2018, 5:52 am

In a conversation with my Cardiologist a few years back I asked......Doc, how can we avoid these heart problems? His reply was "if you could choose your parents". I then asked if there were heart problems in his family to which he replied "no, just cancer." Think I will just be content with what issues I have as it can always be worse.

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » January 10th, 2018, 2:02 pm

TruckerRon wrote:
January 9th, 2018, 8:42 pm

the Bible quotes Jesus as saying: "That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."--Matthew 5:45

My faith leads me to believe that if life were truly "fair" that people would be totally unwilling to do anything wrong or evil, for they would be thwarted and their intended victims protected.
oh come on Ronnie, let's be honest. In spite of both our years of immersion (note the subtle reference to baptism?) into theology, admit it, neither one of us is bright enough to decipher the bible. You're just throwing out references to verses to confuse the heathens who dwell among us.

Some of the other paticipants just don't get the post...it's not whoa is me...it's why not me
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » January 10th, 2018, 2:18 pm

ROBO Pop wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 2:02 pm
Some of the other participants just don't get the post...it's not whoa is me...it's why not me
And as others have said, "Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are..." (did you watch that movie starring Peter Weller?).

You've been dealt your hand, given a few more cards than others. Which ones are ya gonna play?

Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » January 10th, 2018, 6:31 pm

TruckerRon wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 2:18 pm

You've been dealt your hand, given a few more cards than others. Which ones are ya gonna play?
Come on Ron, you know I cheat at cards when I don't like the hand I've been dealt, just ask my kids
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

mrag
Location: The Former Mushroom Capital of World when America was great

Post by mrag » January 16th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Let us remember the basic thrust of this thread is "how come we all got heart disease and is that fair."

Now let us reflect, and heaven help me here, this is NOT POLITICAL, on the President's recent annual physical where it was reported our 72 year old President does not exercise, is clearly overweight, regularly eats at MacDonald's and KFC and drinks a dozen diet cokes a day and is in "excellent" health.

So who wants to talk about God?
Despite repeated requests, my avatar was not painted by ROBO

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » January 16th, 2018, 5:44 pm

mrag wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 4:35 pm
Now let us reflect, and heaven help me here, this is NOT POLITICAL, on the President's recent annual physical where it was reported our 72 year old President does not exercise, is clearly overweight, regularly eats at MacDonald's and KFC and drinks a dozen diet cokes a day and is in "excellent" health.
Why involve God? For years before my SCA my average cholesterol (LDL + HDL) numbers were in the 240s. Yet when they checked my arteries they were clear. Why? A miracle? No. Genetics. (Which we religious folks can credit God for.)

Some of us are fortunate to have the right genes so that our LDL doesn't stick to the walls of our arteries. Trump may just be in our lucky group.

Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...

Colin Pearson

Post by Colin Pearson » January 17th, 2018, 11:45 pm

Life isn't fair.

It is mix of good and bad decisions, luck and genes.

Melissa

Post by Melissa » January 18th, 2018, 7:02 am

I have to remind my teenagers regularly that life is not fair and that is just how it is. I feel it all to well today as my husband and kids are leaving on a bus trip to DC and I am staying home because I have been dealing with back pain for the last month. It's finally getting better and a bus trip would not be good for it. But I really wanted to go. Alas, life is definitely not fair.
Melissa - dx cardiomyopathy in 2004 due to childhood chemotherapy; Boston Scientific CRT-D implanted 8/10, meds: Toprol XL 100mg/day