Uninduced coma question

2017 Forum topics and posts

Moderators: Suzanne, ~guin, Moderators

slk123

Uninduced coma question

Post by slk123 » December 27th, 2017, 7:40 pm

I just found out one of my friends supposedly had a heart attack, was worked on for 20 minutes before being resuscitated, and then fell into a coma on his own.

He was NOT medically induced into a coma.

I’m pretty sure he ended up having a cardiac arrest therefore necessitating the resuscitation. Either way, does anyone know the chances of coming out of the coma? I have not heard of anyone saying they had a heart attack or an SCA, fell into a coma, and then woke up from that coma. I’m wondering if any of you have any information on this. Thank you!
Best wishes,
Stacey

CHF Jan 2016
ICD Nov 2014
LBBB Nov 2014
Sudden cardiac arrest Nov 2014
Arrhythmia Aug 1982

dick

Re: Uninduced coma question

Post by dick » December 28th, 2017, 8:50 am

What does worked on mean? If that included CPR that was performed outside of a hospital, there might be around a 90 percent chance damage is permanent or death within 30 days. Just talking odds, hopefully none of that applies. A few here are still here because of CPR and most of them still come across as normal.

slk123

Post by slk123 » December 29th, 2017, 1:32 pm

By worked on all I know is they resuscitated him but I don’t know how or what they did.
Best wishes,
Stacey

CHF Jan 2016
ICD Nov 2014
LBBB Nov 2014
Arrhythmia Aug 1982

TruckerRon

Post by TruckerRon » December 30th, 2017, 12:47 am

That sounds like several people on here; some the coma was induced, others it happened "naturally." I hope one of them will respond. In my case I didn't have an MI (no blocked arteries), just a bad rhythm that led to VFib. While I was "awake" after the 3 or 4 blasts from the AED I wan't really fully conscious for 2 days. Some doctors refer to different levels or degrees of comas (Glasgow Coma Scale), mine was a very mild one (no short-term memory).

https://www.brainline.org/article/what- ... coma-scale
TruckerRon -- Received Minion I on 17 Sep 2009, Minion II on 26 Jan 2015

Non-ischemic cardiomyopathy
Medtronic Viva XT CRT-D
No shocks yet...
My intro is at: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 099#p57099

mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom » December 30th, 2017, 1:07 am

stacey never heard of this to be honest..ive heard of induced comas after cardiac arrest to help preserve brain function i was in a coma like this for a week after my 2 sca..but non-induced.nope this is new.

I hope your friend is ok and comes out of the coma normally with normal function

xoxo
I think.....Therefore I am.!!!!!

Jim and Sparky

Post by Jim and Sparky » December 31st, 2017, 11:35 am

I’m going to offer a different opinion. I think that a significant portion of us who have had cardiac arrests actually go into a non-induced coma for awhile and then wake up at some point in time later.

In my case when I had a cardiac arrest, I almost immediately went into a coma. I remember nothing of what happened and it is a natural way for the brain and body to react as it tries to repair itself. I would not have survived without CPR and a portable defibrillator used by the paramedics.

Then about a day and a half later I woke up and wondered what was for breakfast. My understanding is that I was never induced to have or prolong a coma. My guess is that comas are not unusual during a cardiac arrest and waking up is not at all that unusual
MI 1/21/11; SCA's 2/3/11 and 2/4/11
I have a Boston Scientific Teligen ICD and a Boston Scientific Promus stent,
I guess my cardiologist is sort of a BS kind of guy.

Two rules to live by:
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It's all small stuff!

My Intro is on this page: http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 917#p74917

ROBO Pop

Post by ROBO Pop » January 3rd, 2018, 4:18 pm

Stacey ~ uniduced coma is actually quite common with a severe heart attack or SCA. It's caused by lack of oxygen to the brain. Unfortunately, this is the worst kind of uninduced coma due to damage to the brain. Recovery is unpredictable, too many variables such as hiw long he was deprived of oxygen. This is actually what kills during a sudden cardiac arrest.

Jim describes a scenario perfectly.

Hope your friend fares well. Let us know.
Broken Heart
Nobody has ever survived life, but I'm trying...
My story and sticking to it
http://www.icdsupportgroup.org/board/vi ... 97&p=91375

slk123

Post by slk123 » January 3rd, 2018, 11:44 pm

Thank you for your input. This is what I was afraid of....lack of information regarding this situation. As of tonight, there has been no new information. As far as I know, he is still in a coma, just over 2 weeks now. Not sure if it's still a natural coma or if the doctors needed to induce after a few days. I do know the family was deciding on what to do because the father is certain his son will not be able to do anything. Unfortunately, the father was a passenger in the car driven by the son when he had the heart attack. Still not sure if it was actually a heart attack or SCA, or both. As we all know, not many people, even medical people, don't really know the difference.

My friend is only 49. After I had my SCAs 3 years ago at the age of 45, he was very kind and thoughtful. He told me his doctors worried about him having the widow maker. I asked if he was serious and he said yes. He didn't seemed phased by it, so all I said was, you got to live life the way you want to or it's not worth it. And I stick by that statement,

I'll keep you posted.
Best wishes,
Stacey

CHF Jan 2016
ICD Nov 2014
LBBB Nov 2014
Arrhythmia Aug 1982

slk123

Post by slk123 » January 4th, 2018, 10:17 pm

Well, some news today. The family has decided to take him off the ventilator. Haven't heard anything after that.

Tony's 49, and so am I. He taught my sister how to cut hair back in the 1980s, and they dated for a little while. Not sure why because she's such a bitch :? .....I always wondered why they dated because he has always been such a wonderful person. We've known each other a long time. He's a great guy, is a fantastic hair stylist, and is loved by so many women. I thought about how many people he knows as I was re-reading some of his fb posts. So many woman have commented....but then I guess that was expected since he's a hair stylist and owns 2 beauty shops. He's a gem. I'm hoping someone out there still needs him in this life.....
Best wishes,
Stacey

CHF Jan 2016
ICD Nov 2014
LBBB Nov 2014
Arrhythmia Aug 1982

slk123

Post by slk123 » January 14th, 2018, 9:11 am

Update: This past Wednesday, 1/10, the family took him off the ventilator and he continued breathing on his own and opened his eyes several times. I heard they sent him to a ventilator facility but I don't know what that means. I don't know if he's conscious yet, either. But he seems to be fighting.

The family decided to close one of his hair salons. The other stays open because he shares the space with his father's barber shop.
Best wishes,
Stacey

CHF Jan 2016
ICD Nov 2014
LBBB Nov 2014
Arrhythmia Aug 1982

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » January 14th, 2018, 9:46 am

Here is a link to the Wisconsin Gov site. It is just to let you have some information about the reason for the move.
https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/guide/ven ... lities.htm

Seems like they are trying to get him off the ventilator and on his own. My coma was induced but lasted more than 2 weeks and they had to help me learn several things on my own.

I pray things will work out. wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

slk123

Post by slk123 » January 16th, 2018, 5:13 pm

I received news last night that my friend passed away in the morning. As far as I understand, he went on his own. Thank you for your support.
Best wishes,
Stacey

CHF Jan 2016
ICD Nov 2014
LBBB Nov 2014
Arrhythmia Aug 1982

freckles1880

Post by freckles1880 » January 16th, 2018, 6:20 pm

I am sorry about your friend. It sounds like he did go without pain.

wavhi
Bob

Medtronic-Visia AF implanted 7-8-2016 stayed with the with 6947 Sprint Quattro Secure lead. Original ICD implant 2-4-2009. ICD turned off 10-6-17 as stage 4 lung cancer taking over.
Major heart attack, carcinogenic shock and quad bypass 10-13-08 post myocardial infarction, old inferior MI complicated by shock and CHF, combined, Atherosclerosis, abdominal aortic Aneurysm, Seroma 7 cm, left leg. Stent in the left main vein 10-7-2014

My "Wardens" are my bride of 54+ years and my daughters.

DebW

Post by DebW » January 16th, 2018, 8:11 pm

So sorry to hear about your friend Stacey =( Sending prayers to you and his family